Quo Vadis, Open {Source, Standards, World}? w/ Jan Wildeboer – XDA:DevCon 2014

Open Source was a big topic at this years XDA:DevCon … more

Android 5.0 Leaked for the Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Android Lollipop is still making its way to many new devices. Firmware updates have been … more

Learn to Sync Files Between Android And PC with Unison

Dropbox and similar cloud services are great if youre planning to keep your files … more

OnePlus Indian Ban Lifted, Android One Expanding – XDA TV

Android 5.0.1 Lollipop is available for the Nvidia SHIELD Tablet! That and … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Moto x compatibility in UAE

OP deepak.motox

17th April 2014, 02:39 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
Hey,
Guys need your urgent help.

I love this phone and have been waiting to buy it for a long time. I prefer the customized version from Moto Maker that is available in US only and not in other countries. My friend is due to travel from US to Dubai by end of this month and I can finally get my hands on the customized version.

Before continuing please bear that my knowledge on this subject is very new.

I have few concerns. I live in UAE where the freq bands by the network provider are 900&1800 Mhz for GSM, 2100 Mhz UMTS, and LTE 3&7 (1800& 2600 Mhz). My concerns are:

1. I doubt the 4G will work. I think Moto x supports a different band for LTE/4G than the one supported by network providers in UAE. So the 4g will not work for Moto X in Dubai correct?
2. If 4G does not work, will the Moto x function with the 3G service provided by network providers here?

I dont know if I understand this topic thoroughly, so let me put my concern in very layman terms - Will a Moto X bought from the Moto Maker store in US, work with UAE network providers 3G service?

I dont want to end up spending 400$ for a phone that wont function fast enough; problem is I want a wooden finish customized phone - one which isnt available in UAE.

Please please help soon!
18th April 2014, 08:36 AM   |  #2  
Flag Moving around in the ancient land
Thanks Meter: 287

728 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepak.motox

Hey,
Guys need your urgent help.

I love this phone and have been waiting to buy it for a long time. I prefer the customized version from Moto Maker that is available in US only and not in other countries. My friend is due to travel from US to Dubai by end of this month and I can finally get my hands on the customized version.

Before continuing please bear that my knowledge on this subject is very new.

I have few concerns. I live in UAE where the freq bands by the network provider are 900&1800 Mhz for GSM, 2100 Mhz UMTS, and LTE 3&7 (1800& 2600 Mhz). My concerns are:

1. I doubt the 4G will work. I think Moto x supports a different band for LTE/4G than the one supported by network providers in UAE. So the 4g will not work for Moto X in Dubai correct?
2. If 4G does not work, will the Moto x function with the 3G service provided by network providers here?

I dont know if I understand this topic thoroughly, so let me put my concern in very layman terms - Will a Moto X bought from the Moto Maker store in US, work with UAE network providers 3G service?

I dont want to end up spending 400$ for a phone that wont function fast enough; problem is I want a wooden finish customized phone - one which isnt available in UAE.

Please please help soon!

Just get Tmobile version customised. 3G will work, 4G wont and phone will be SIM unlocked out of box and you will be able to unlock the bootloader as well.
No need to worry about 3G.
18th April 2014, 05:46 PM   |  #3  
Flag Eindhoven
Thanks Meter: 145

464 posts
More
Europe will soon get Moto Maker too! It is planned for Q2. The European Moto X's (XT1052) frequencies are:

GSM: 850/900/1800/1900
UMTS: 850/900/1900/2100
LTE: 800/1800/2600

So if you can wait you can get it via Europe
19th April 2014, 01:29 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

5 posts
Question .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkym0nkey

Just get Tmobile version customised. 3G will work, 4G wont and phone will be SIM unlocked out of box and you will be able to unlock the bootloader as well.
No need to worry about 3G.

Thanks a lot Funky..
I'm not aware what a bootloader is - a newbie to the tech side of phones or anything. A quick search reveals it to be a set of commands executed at startup/OS. Now, at the risk of sounding even noobish than I have already portrayed, my question is -

1. Will this unlocking the bootloader affect the Touchless controls?
2. Also, since the phone is not officially launched in UAE - I wouldnt be able to get any changes (like unlocking the bootloader or anything else) done.

Thanks for your replies mate. It really made my day. Will be ordering it in a couple of days.
19th April 2014, 01:36 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

5 posts
Thumbs up .
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommert38

Europe will soon get Moto Maker too! It is planned for Q2. The European Moto X's (XT1052) frequencies are:

GSM: 850/900/1800/1900
UMTS: 850/900/1900/2100
LTE: 800/1800/2600

So if you can wait you can get it via Europe

Thanks for your reply tommer. I checked into that possibility - issue is the phone is significantly more expensive in Europe. It costs a good 150 USD more than US. Now 4G is nearly double speed as that of 3G I think. However, 3G speed is fast enough for me.

So the trade-off is between 150 USD or double the speed than what is enough for me. I chose to save the moolah instead.

Thanks for your suggestion.
19th April 2014, 01:42 PM   |  #6  
Flag Moving around in the ancient land
Thanks Meter: 287

728 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepak.motox

Thanks a lot Funky..
I'm not aware what a bootloader is - a newbie to the tech side of phones or anything. A quick search reveals it to be a set of commands executed at startup/OS. Now, at the risk of sounding even noobish than I have already portrayed, my question is -

1. Will this unlocking the bootloader affect the Touchless controls?
2. Also, since the phone is not officially launched in UAE - I wouldnt be able to get any changes (like unlocking the bootloader or anything else) done.

Thanks for your replies mate. It really made my day. Will be ordering it in a couple of days.

If you want to keep phone stock, no need to unlock the bootloader. But unlockable bootloader will allow you to flash custom recovery and root the phone.
does not matter where you are. You will still be able to unlock the bootloader through Motorola site. All this is optional. T-Mobile version just offers you this freedom along with moto maker.
Just unlocking bootloader will not affect touchless controls.

From my Moto X, in your face!
Last edited by Funkym0nkey; 19th April 2014 at 11:59 PM.
26th April 2014, 05:05 PM   |  #7  
Ft Rucker, AL
Thanks Meter: 101

208 posts
I'll be working in UAE soon, are there any CDMA networks there? I'm on vzw here in the states and wondering if my Dev Ed moto x will work there.

-Sent from a nitroglycerine infused moto X... handle with care
8th May 2014, 12:32 PM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member

5 posts
tbh, I'm not sure if i the dev edition will work here. There are 2 providers here - Etisalat and Du. I suggest you check their specs.

I know that 4G will not work for sure. Honestly, I'm very uninformed when it comes to these things. Sorry cant help you much.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread