Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,210 Members 49,333 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Should I get the Moto X Dev Edition? Or is it getting too old?

Tip us?
 
drago10029
Old
#11  
drago10029's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 64
Posts: 442
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Phazon Mines
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarTrans View Post
Thanks! Honestly, I usually stick with stock on my phones (I only root to enable AdAway and fix SD permissions), so development isn't that big of a deal. I've noticed there's not much Dev action on the Moto X, but again: it isn't too big of a deal for me. Though, from what I've seen in the M8 forum, there is already getting to be a good amount of Dev following.

So some questions now:
How do you like the screen? Are the pixels noticeable when reading text? How is it outdoors?
I'm using the iPhone 5s as my daily driver, and the ~320PPI screen isn't too bad. Thing is, it has one of the highest quality IPS displays on the market.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
The screen looks crisp. I rarely use full brightness outdoors. after about 70% it doesn't make too big a difference to me. And there honestly the 1080p, 720p things are gimmicky. People say they notice the difference but from the S3 to the Moto X to the M7 I've used the sharpness are all on par with each other. Including the IPS on iPhone 5/5S which my girlfriend has. they are all crisp screens.

video look great! The headphone volume is a little low though, i solved that with Viper4android (highly recommend for music lovers). Call quality is actually really really clear! It has 3 mics on it.

That answer your question?
Samsung Galaxy S III i747 in creamy Pebble Blue
Skyrocket and Vibrant R.I.P. Gone but not forgotten! MOTO X Goodbye and Good ridden!
The Following User Says Thank You to drago10029 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
SolarTrans
Old
#12  
SolarTrans's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 177
Posts: 860
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Oregon
Yep perfectly! But I think I've decided to go with the M8 for these next few months. For a couple of reasons:
1. When I used the Moto X at Verizon, the small screen really reminded me of my iPhone. 5in isn't much bigger than 4.7, but especially with the on screen buttons on a black bar (not always on, but I still noticed), it felt somewhat small to me.
2. My last Android phone was the S4 GPE, and I'm a little tired of the stock-like interface, and being quite reluctant to use ROMs I'd like to give Sense 6 a good try for a while. Moto 360 and X 2 are almost guaranteed to be on my list this year though

Thanks so much for your help!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
iPhone 2G-5 (AT&T)
HTC One M7 (64GB, Developer Edition)
Galaxy S4 (16GB, AT&T)
Galaxy S4 (16GB, Google Play Edition)
iPad mini with Retina Display (128GB, AT&T LTE)
iPhone 5s (64GB, AT&T)
HTC One M8 (32GB, Google Play Edition)
OnePlus One (64GB)
 
drago10029
Old
#13  
drago10029's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 64
Posts: 442
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Phazon Mines
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarTrans View Post
Yep perfectly! But I think I've decided to go with the M8 for these next few months. For a couple of reasons:
1. When I used the Moto X at Verizon, the small screen really reminded me of my iPhone. 5in isn't much bigger than 4.7, but especially with the on screen buttons on a black bar (not always on, but I still noticed), it felt somewhat small to me.
2. My last Android phone was the S4 GPE, and I'm a little tired of the stock-like interface, and being quite reluctant to use ROMs I'd like to give Sense 6 a good try for a while. Moto 360 and X 2 are almost guaranteed to be on my list this year though

Thanks so much for your help!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You got it! glad you found something you like.
Samsung Galaxy S III i747 in creamy Pebble Blue
Skyrocket and Vibrant R.I.P. Gone but not forgotten! MOTO X Goodbye and Good ridden!
The Following User Says Thank You to drago10029 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
hill180
Old
#14  
Member
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 38
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarTrans View Post
I've been going back and forth between the Moto X and HTC M8 for a while, and I'm really not sure which one to buy and play around with. I have a $60 off .edu coupon for the X so that would bring it to $390 as compared to $650 for the HTC M8. I've got a pre order for the M8 right now, and I can cancel until Wednesday this week. I'm not sure about the fact that the Moto X is getting kinda old, but the Active Listening is soooo cool. I've used both and I really couldn't pick a favorite.
So the question is:
Is the Moto X still a worthy purchase being a little over halfway through it's life cycle?
Thanks!
Ok. So I dropped my dev moto x on concrete and the screen broke, my fault. So I decided I was going to upgrade to an HTC m8 with the Dot Case.

Well. I just sent in my Moto x to be repaired, because I am going to return the m8.

1. The M8 is a GREAT phone. Great camera, speed, memory expansion.

But in the end I love my Moto X (this is only my opinion)

Why I want my Moto X back? Active notifications, Touchless Control, Ability to mute from the power button, ability to root and remove all bloat (I am sure the HTC will be able to do this soon), size (I like a phone I can hold easily) and doesn't feel like a weight in my pocket.

The problems I had with the M8 (this is my opinion )
Rather have Google Experience than BlinkFeed (Yes I installed the APK), The quick gestures were useless to me. The car mode defaulted to the HTC music app, I use Google Music. Hard to hold comfortably. TV was good, but I already have 300 remotes, and 1 universal. Adding one more was just a pain. Sense 6 is nice, but I rather have a pure experience that I can add too, IE: Gravity Module

I always say in my opinion because I think phones are as unique as people. What I find in the M8/Moto X as useless/useful could be 100% different for someone else.
The Following User Says Thank You to hill180 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
hovax615@hotmail.com
Old
#15  
hovax615@hotmail.com's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 308
Posts: 1,476
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Corona, CA - Murfreesboro, TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill180 View Post
Ok. So I dropped my dev moto x on concrete and the screen broke, my fault. So I decided I was going to upgrade to an HTC m8 with the Dot Case.

Well. I just sent in my Moto x to be repaired, because I am going to return the m8.

1. The M8 is a GREAT phone. Great camera, speed, memory expansion.

But in the end I love my Moto X (this is only my opinion)

Why I want my Moto X back? Active notifications, Touchless Control, Ability to mute from the power button, ability to root and remove all bloat (I am sure the HTC will be able to do this soon), size (I like a phone I can hold easily) and doesn't feel like a weight in my pocket.

The problems I had with the M8 (this is my opinion )
Rather have Google Experience than BlinkFeed (Yes I installed the APK), The quick gestures were useless to me. The car mode defaulted to the HTC music app, I use Google Music. Hard to hold comfortably. TV was good, but I already have 300 remotes, and 1 universal. Adding one more was just a pain. Sense 6 is nice, but I rather have a pure experience that I can add too, IE: Gravity Module

I always say in my opinion because I think phones are as unique as people. What I find in the M8/Moto X as useless/useful could be 100% different for someone else.
I feel like if you play with the moto x in the store your not getting the full day to day usage and the features that help make it the #1 android phone of 2013. I know spec on sheet is all that people care about now but until you have owned the phone and then go to something else you'll want to come back to this phone.


Sent from my XT1058 using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to hovax615@hotmail.com For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
asatnik11
Old
#16  
asatnik11's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 42
Posts: 220
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Minnesota
I have a Samsung Galaxy S 4 (T-Mobile running GPE ROM) and a moto X GSM dev editon. After going back and forth a few times in the past week I keep going back to the X. Which is surprising because I used the S4 as my DD for the better part of a year and loved everything but the size.

I actually found that the performance is similar and the screen on the X looks better because its RGB and not pentile, regardless of the resolution difference.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to asatnik11 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
SolarTrans
Old
#17  
SolarTrans's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 177
Posts: 860
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by asatnik11 View Post
I have a Samsung Galaxy S 4 (T-Mobile running GPE ROM) and a moto X GSM dev editon. After going back and forth a few times in the past week I keep going back to the X. Which is surprising because I used the S4 as my DD for the better part of a year and loved everything but the size.

I actually found that the performance is similar and the screen on the X looks better because its RGB and not pentile, regardless of the resolution difference.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Huh didn't know it was RGB. The S5 (while having the best smartphone display ever made according to DisplayMate) still uses PenTile and has 305PPI for red and blue (but 432 for white and green). This is actually less than the Moto X's density, so I was kind of surprised. Displays can't really compare though, as from what I've read the Moto X just isn't as nice as other flagships in the display department

Update on the thread: I actually cancelled my M8 order because after using one again I found I really disliked the whole UI.
Any further comparison for will be with the S5, as that's where I moved my pre-order after canceling.
If one thing were to sway me towards the X from the S5, it'd be the size. The Moto X feels truly amazing (even for the few minutes in store that I tested it). The S5 is quite nice as well, but it doesn't quite match the curve of the X.
From all I've read and felt so far, the S5 and Moto X are both insanely attractive offerings. I haven't seen a single person dissatisfied with their X, and everyone (me included) who's used an S5 thought it was great.
Considering how attached to the X people are, I may just have to spend the $390 and go for it. The S5 may have better specs and be faster, but the overwhelming praise of the X is definitely something I'll consider.
Thanks all for the help so far! If anyone has any further input it'd be much appreciated.



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
iPhone 2G-5 (AT&T)
HTC One M7 (64GB, Developer Edition)
Galaxy S4 (16GB, AT&T)
Galaxy S4 (16GB, Google Play Edition)
iPad mini with Retina Display (128GB, AT&T LTE)
iPhone 5s (64GB, AT&T)
HTC One M8 (32GB, Google Play Edition)
OnePlus One (64GB)

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes