Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,632 Members 36,695 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] moto X dev or moto X

Tip us?

perlsyntax
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] moto X dev or moto X

What the different with the Moto X dev ed and the moto X you like get from att?If i got the Moto X dev ed will it come with a hotspot software or would i need to make my own for android?

I bait new when it come with things like unlocked phone.i hope someone can help me

tcrews
Old
Thanks Meter 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by perlsyntax View Post
What the different with the Moto X dev ed and the moto X you like get from att?If i got the Moto X dev ed will it come with a hotspot software or would i need to make my own for android?

I bait new when it come with things like unlocked phone.i hope someone can help me
DEV Editions have unlockable bootloaders without voiding the warranty. An unlockable bootloader allows you to flash a recovery not signed by Motorola (like TWRP or CWM) which will allow you to flash root and other .zips.

Non-dev editions on AT&T do not have the ability to unlock the bootloader.
http://android.snkbitten.com/
Motorola Droid, Droid 2, Droid 3 and Droid 4 (all rooted)
Motorola Moto X DevEd - KK 4.4.4 + Root
Google Nexus 10 - KK 4.4.4 + Root

perlsyntax
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrews View Post
DEV Editions have unlockable bootloaders without voiding the warranty. An unlockable bootloader allows you to flash a recovery not signed by Motorola (like TWRP or CWM) which will allow you to flash root and other .zips.

Non-dev editions on AT&T do not have the ability to unlock the bootloader.
So take it i have to make my own hotspot software for the moto X dev and it will not come with a recovery back to?

tcrews
Old
Thanks Meter 176
No, you'll be able to unlock the bootloader, root and install any of the methods that give the hotspot feature.
http://android.snkbitten.com/
Motorola Droid, Droid 2, Droid 3 and Droid 4 (all rooted)
Motorola Moto X DevEd - KK 4.4.4 + Root
Google Nexus 10 - KK 4.4.4 + Root

KidJoe
Old
(Last edited by KidJoe; 7th May 2014 at 11:10 AM.)
Thanks Meter 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by perlsyntax View Post

I'm going to copy/paste what I typed here ->http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...6&postcount=13 as it definitely answers your question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidJoe View Post
im going to repeat what has been said by me and others in the countless threads asking this same question....

The two developer edition moto X's come in black face, woven white back, with silver accents (buttons and ring around camera), and say Developer Edition on back. They only come as 32 gig. When it comes to unlocking the bootloader, you can get the code from moto for free, and it does not void your warranty. Once the bootloader is unlocked you can install 3rd party recovery, root, or install 3rd party roms (by 3rd party, I mean non-moto)

The retail x comes as black face, woven black back, and silver accents, or white face, woven white back, and silver accents. Moto Maker can be customized. These come as 32 or 16 gig.

I'm not going to go into the reasons why, but Moto does NOT give out the bootloader unlock code for the Retail and MotoMaker X for Verizon, ATT and a few other carriers.

When it comes to hardware, the GSM Developer Edition (XT1053) is the same as the T-Mobile or Carrier Unlocked/Unbranded (XT1053) and uses the same ROMs. The big difference is getting the unlock code from Moto for the non-dev edition voids the warranty. When it comes to the (CDMA) Developer Edition X for Verizon, they too are identical hardware, but as said, you can't get the unlock code from Moto unless you have the Dev Ed. (Note: for a brief period, there was a Chinses site selling the codes, but it was shut down and is not presently available. No one knows for sure if it ever will be again)

If they are the exact same price, get the dev edition so you can unlock the bootloader without voiding the warranty.

If you have ATT, know that their X is the XT1058, you can not get its bootloader unlock code from Moto. More importantly, by specs it supports 2 additional LTE bands (originally said to only be used outside the USA, but lately there has been talk that ATT is using one of them in the USA now), but does not support HSPA on AWS (used by t-mobile for non-LTE 4g, but t-mobile has been reframing their 1900 from 2g to HSPA in some areas). So if you have AT&T but got the gsm dev, you'd be at risk if ATT starts fully using one or both of those "other" LTE bands in the USA in the future.

As for why unlock the bootloader, what would the average Joe gain by it? See -> http://mark.cdmaforums.com/MotoX-Locked.html
As for "hot spot"... There is hotspot software in the X ROM. Since the gsm Dev uses the T-Mobile rom, it might work as is on ATT without modifications. You'll have to look that up. But there are other options to remove any "entitlement" checks (there are threads about it) or you can use WiFi tether when the Dev Edition is rooted.
aka Mark_Venture

My Moto X tips and info

Currently using Verizon Moto X Developer Edition on my personal line.. But I have too many devices to choose from for work and personal... For the full list click -> HERE <-

DANIEL AMBRUSO
Old
Thanks Meter 12
I like developer. I think developer option has better opportunity than others.

perlsyntax
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidJoe View Post
I'm going to copy/paste what I typed here ->http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...6&postcount=13 as it definitely answers your question.

As for "hot spot"... There is hotspot software in the X ROM. Since the gsm Dev uses the T-Mobile rom, it might work as is on ATT without modifications. You'll have to look that up. But there are other options to remove any "entitlement" checks (there are threads about it) or you can use WiFi tether when the Dev Edition is rooted.
thank for the information