5,598,980 Members 31,612 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Moto x flashing recovery snafu - please help

Tip us?

herrdrchili
Old
(Last edited by herrdrchili; 3rd January 2014 at 08:11 AM.) Reason: resolved!
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Unhappy [Q] Moto x flashing recovery snafu - please help

RESOLVED!

so I just got my moto x dev edition, unlocked the bootloader, and then screwed it up...

i tried flashing the recovery as described here, http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2458451 but didn't realize/understand that fastboot and mfastboot were not interchangeable. it looked like it went ok, but I wasn't able to reboot into recovery. so, now on boot to recovery i get the little android on his back with a red triangle. i'm pretty sure that the stock recovery is gone, but cwm is not installed either. which brings me to my next little problem...

so i did some reading and got mfastboot installed and thought ok I just need to reflash cwm on phone again. problem is, now the phone won't stay in usb debug mode so that i can see it when fastbooted. that is, when i reboot the phone into fastboot by holding the power/vol down I can't see the phone when doing 'adb devices', and whem I let it boot up i see usb debug is switched off. when i switch it on, then i can see the phone from adb again, but when i try to 'reboot bootloader' it gives me a not allowed error.

at this point i'm just sick and afraid i bricked it. i am coming from a galaxy nexus and never had anything like this happen before. i truly appreciate any help here, at this point i feel like puking and dreading telling the wife i just blew 450.... :-/

ps i'm on mac 10.7 so if i need rsd it will be via a virtual machine....

xpsychox
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrdrchili View Post
so I just got my moto x dev edition, unlocked the bootloader, and then screwed it up...

i tried flashing the recovery as described here, http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2458451 but didn't realize/understand that fastboot and mfastboot were not interchangeable. it looked like it went ok, but I wasn't able to reboot into recovery. so, now on boot to recovery i get the little android on his back with a red triangle. i'm pretty sure that the stock recovery is gone, but cwm is not installed either. which brings me to my next little problem...

so i did some reading and got mfastboot installed and thought ok I just need to reflash cwm on phone again. problem is, now the phone won't stay in usb debug mode so that i can see it when fastbooted. that is, when i reboot the phone into fastboot by holding the power/vol down I can't see the phone when doing 'adb devices', and whem I let it boot up i see usb debug is switched off. when i switch it on, then i can see the phone from adb again, but when i try to 'reboot bootloader' it gives me a not allowed error.

at this point i'm just sick and afraid i bricked it. i am coming from a galaxy nexus and never had anything like this happen before. i truly appreciate any help here, at this point i feel like puking and dreading telling the wife i just blew 450.... :-/

so, if i understand you correctly, u've held down the volume down button and power button? becasue that's your fastboot. That's where you need to be to use RSD, and that's what i'd do.

btdonovan
Old
Thanks Meter 5
ADB commands aren't used in fastboot mode. You should be able to see the device in fastboot mode with the command fastboot devices. Also, remember that the stock rom will try to restore the stock recovery when it is booted so if you flash recovery in fastboot mode then let the stock rom boot it will reflash the stock recovery which shows you the little droid and the red triangle.

You should still be okay though. Shut the phone off and boot into fastboot manually with power and volume down. Reflash the recovery. I know there are warnings about using mfastboot but I used standard fastboot before I saw those and didn't have an issue. From the fastboot screen after flashing the recovery, use volume down to get to highlight recovery and then press volume up to select, not power. Power will just do a standard reboot.

If you flashed twrp recovery then rebooting system will prompt you to install su. I think clockwork does the same thing. Letting the recovery install su will also prevent the stock recovery from getting restored and from there you should be good.

Quote:

The Following User Says Thank You to btdonovan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

herrdrchili
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default ok then - i guess rsd has potential?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpsychox View Post
so, if i understand you correctly, u've held down the volume down button and power button? becasue that's your fastboot. That's where you need to be to use RSD, and that's what i'd do.
i can reboot into fastboot, but adb can't see the phone. I'll start trying to setup rsd and and see if it can do any better. any good links you know to get up to speed on that would be appreciated. if you know how to simply reflash the recovery via rsd that would be helpful too - thanks in advance!

xpsychox
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
i can reboot into fastboot, but adb can't see the phone. I'll start trying to setup rsd and and see if it can do any better. any good links you know to get up to speed on that would be appreciated. if you know how to simply reflash the recovery via rsd that would be helpful too - thanks in advance!
the sites that I know of are for the device I have, a non devliper edition... I don't know if it makes a difference, I don't wanna make anything worse.

herrdrchili
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default thanks for the sanity check,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by btdonovan View Post
ADB commands aren't used in fastboot mode. You should be able to see the device in fastboot mode with the command fastboot devices. Also, remember that the stock rom will try to restore the stock recovery when it is booted so if you flash recovery in fastboot mode then let the stock rom boot it will reflash the stock recovery which shows you the little droid and the red triangle.

You should still be okay though. Shut the phone off and boot into fastboot manually with power and volume down. Reflash the recovery. I know there are warnings about using mfastboot but I used standard fastboot before I saw those and didn't have an issue. From the fastboot screen after flashing the recovery, use volume down to get to highlight recovery and then press volume up to select, not power. Power will just do a standard reboot.

If you flashed twrp recovery then rebooting system will prompt you to install su. I think clockwork does the same thing. Letting the recovery install su will also prevent the stock recovery from getting restored and from there you should be good.
THANKS! just needed another set of eyes - man i need to not try doing this after a long day again i really appreciate your help. i got it now!

btdonovan
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
THANKS! just needed another set of eyes - man i need to not try doing this after a long day again i really appreciate your help. i got it now!
Glad I could help!