Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,782 Members 46,033 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Moto x future proof ?

Tip us?

ashisharia
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Default Moto x future proof ?

I want to buy moto x and am wondering with although fantastic x8 processor does moto x is future proof for at least 2 years? Or should I go for nexus 5 which is more future proof? How about touchless control? One of the main factors I am buying is because of that

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
S3

Older Device: Sony W850i, Sony Cedar, Xperia U
The Following User Says Thank You to ashisharia For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nijom
Old
Thanks Meter 36
May i know what you mean by FUTURE PROOF?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2006 - 2009 : MOTO SLVR L7 (Dead)
2009 - 2011 : MOTO ROKR E6e (Dead)
2011 - 2014 : MOTO RAZR XT910 (Alive)
2012 - 2013 : Asus Nexus 7 (Alive)
2013 - 2014 : iBerry Auxus Nuclea N1 (Sold)
2014 : MOTO G XT1033 (Sold)
2014 : MOTO X XT1052 (Alive)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KJ
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2782
Some people still use 3 or 4 year old devices. My S2 still works fine.

If you're a hardcore cutting edge gamer....then you'll maybe need a phone every year or less....but the moto x can do anything any other device can do now, and probably still will 3 years from now.

But ultimately its your research and decision that matters, not any of us. We all have different needs and expectations.
Sent from my N5, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life on the N5...or any device really? Lots of info in first 3 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips

The Following User Says Thank You to KJ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ChrisAG
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Motorola will probably keep the software updated until Jan/Feb 2015. After that, who knows?

motoxone
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashisharia View Post
I want to buy moto x and am wondering with although fantastic x8 processor does moto x is future proof for at least 2 years? Or should I go for nexus 5 which is more future proof? How about touchless control? One of the main factors I am buying is because of that

I would wait until May 13 to find out when the Moto X + 1 releases.

KidJoe
Old
Thanks Meter 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashisharia View Post

I agree with @nijom, define "future proof".. The X is as "future proof" as any other android device where the carrier has the final say in the updates being pushed to the device.

Unless you get a developer edition X which can be bootloader unlocked, and you can flash custom roms to it. Although options for 3rd party roms are relatively few at the moment, and you'd lose the Moto specific features which make the X so popular.
aka Mark_Venture

My Moto X tips and info

Currently using Verizon Moto X Developer Edition on my personal line.. But I have too many devices to choose from for work and personal... For the full list click -> HERE <-

XDA PORTAL POSTS

Slate Calendar Helps You Organize Your Life

Without calendars in some form or another, most of our lives would be utter chaos. Unless you are … more

Shane Francis to Talk Android, Robotics, and Vision at XDA:DevCon 2014

Our international xda:devcon 14in Manchester, UK on the weekend of … more

LG G Watch Tool is a Toolkit all Owners Need

The LG G Watch is one of the first two devices hitting the market rocking the highly anticipated … more

Benchmark Your CPU Performance with Mini CPU Integer Script

When it comes to device testing, there are two types of people on XDA. The first … more