Android TV Launcher Pushed to Google Play

Over the past decade, the tech universe has seen two drastic and widely contrasting changes with … more

Cyngn, OnePlus, Micromax – The Legal Battle

Recently, a battle has been waging in India over the rights to distribute the commercial … more

Lean Mean Battery Power Saving App Review

We talk a lot about battery topics here at XDA TV. We talk about everything from Power Banks to USB … more

Android 5.1 Possibly Coming February 2015

Google released Android 5.0 just over a month ago, and since then Lollipop has been trying to … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Moto x future proof ?

OP ashisharia

9th May 2014, 02:32 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bangalore
Thanks Meter: 17

159 posts
More
I want to buy moto x and am wondering with although fantastic x8 processor does moto x is future proof for at least 2 years? Or should I go for nexus 5 which is more future proof? How about touchless control? One of the main factors I am buying is because of that

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to ashisharia For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th May 2014, 07:53 PM   |  #2  
Flag Chennai
Thanks Meter: 41

365 posts
More
May i know what you mean by FUTURE PROOF?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
9th May 2014, 08:54 PM   |  #3  
XDA: ASSIST
Recognized Contributor
Flag The boonies - southwest Ontario
Thanks Meter: 4,851

13,340 posts
More
Some people still use 3 or 4 year old devices. My S2 still works fine.

If you're a hardcore cutting edge gamer....then you'll maybe need a phone every year or less....but the moto x can do anything any other device can do now, and probably still will 3 years from now.

But ultimately its your research and decision that matters, not any of us. We all have different needs and expectations.
The Following User Says Thank You to Darth For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th May 2014, 11:30 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 25

127 posts
Motorola will probably keep the software updated until Jan/Feb 2015. After that, who knows?
9th May 2014, 11:57 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 3

20 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashisharia

I want to buy moto x and am wondering with although fantastic x8 processor does moto x is future proof for at least 2 years? Or should I go for nexus 5 which is more future proof? How about touchless control? One of the main factors I am buying is because of that

I would wait until May 13 to find out when the Moto X + 1 releases.
10th May 2014, 03:58 PM   |  #6  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Thorndale/Romansville, PA
Thanks Meter: 956

2,271 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashisharia

I agree with @nijom, define "future proof".. The X is as "future proof" as any other android device where the carrier has the final say in the updates being pushed to the device.

Unless you get a developer edition X which can be bootloader unlocked, and you can flash custom roms to it. Although options for 3rd party roms are relatively few at the moment, and you'd lose the Moto specific features which make the X so popular.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread