Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,302 Members 51,524 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Moto X getting hot + Android OS eating battery life

Tip us?

Prashramani12
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Default [Q] Moto X getting hot + Android OS eating battery life

Hello everyone,

I've had my Moto X since November and this is the first time I am noticing this problem. Lately, my battery life has taken a dip (I used to get around 14-15 hours with moderate use, now I get about 10. This includes a decent amount of on screen time, music streaming, some netflix, etc.). I've noticed that a large chunk of the battery life is taken by Android OS, usually the screen is the highest with around 22-25 percent, but Android OS is now even higher, around 25-30 percent. It never used to be like this.

Also, this may be related but I'm not sure so I thought I'd mention it anyway. My phone has been getting quite hot to the touch, even when only having the screen on for maybe 5-7 minutes at the time. It gets to the point where I have to shut the screen off for a little and let the phone cool down before I can use it again. This doesn't happen every time, but it has happened enough to the point where I consider it to be a problem, because it never used to happen so frequently or get so hot after only using it a few minutes.

Any ideas? Are there any processes or anything that I should shut off to stop the Android OS battery hogging? Or is this a common problem and Moto will update it in the latest version. Any help you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated. I truly love this phone, and don't want to have to go to AT&T to replace it because working with them is such a damn pain. Thank you all in advance!

KJ
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prashramani12 View Post
Hello everyone,

I've had my Moto X since November and this is the first time I am noticing this problem. Lately, my battery life has taken a dip (I used to get around 14-15 hours with moderate use, now I get about 10. This includes a decent amount of on screen time, music streaming, some netflix, etc.). I've noticed that a large chunk of the battery life is taken by Android OS, usually the screen is the highest with around 22-25 percent, but Android OS is now even higher, around 25-30 percent. It never used to be like this.

Also, this may be related but I'm not sure so I thought I'd mention it anyway. My phone has been getting quite hot to the touch, even when only having the screen on for maybe 5-7 minutes at the time. It gets to the point where I have to shut the screen off for a little and let the phone cool down before I can use it again. This doesn't happen every time, but it has happened enough to the point where I consider it to be a problem, because it never used to happen so frequently or get so hot after only using it a few minutes.

Any ideas? Are there any processes or anything that I should shut off to stop the Android OS battery hogging? Or is this a common problem and Moto will update it in the latest version. Any help you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated. I truly love this phone, and don't want to have to go to AT&T to replace it because working with them is such a damn pain. Thank you all in advance!
As always, its location services. And apps using it. Turn it off for a day and see.
Sent from my N5, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life on the N5...or any device really? Lots of info in first 3 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips