Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,781 Members 47,167 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Moto X getting hot + Android OS eating battery life

Tip us?

Prashramani12
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Default [Q] Moto X getting hot + Android OS eating battery life

Hello everyone,

I've had my Moto X since November and this is the first time I am noticing this problem. Lately, my battery life has taken a dip (I used to get around 14-15 hours with moderate use, now I get about 10. This includes a decent amount of on screen time, music streaming, some netflix, etc.). I've noticed that a large chunk of the battery life is taken by Android OS, usually the screen is the highest with around 22-25 percent, but Android OS is now even higher, around 25-30 percent. It never used to be like this.

Also, this may be related but I'm not sure so I thought I'd mention it anyway. My phone has been getting quite hot to the touch, even when only having the screen on for maybe 5-7 minutes at the time. It gets to the point where I have to shut the screen off for a little and let the phone cool down before I can use it again. This doesn't happen every time, but it has happened enough to the point where I consider it to be a problem, because it never used to happen so frequently or get so hot after only using it a few minutes.

Any ideas? Are there any processes or anything that I should shut off to stop the Android OS battery hogging? Or is this a common problem and Moto will update it in the latest version. Any help you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated. I truly love this phone, and don't want to have to go to AT&T to replace it because working with them is such a damn pain. Thank you all in advance!

KJ
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prashramani12 View Post
Hello everyone,

I've had my Moto X since November and this is the first time I am noticing this problem. Lately, my battery life has taken a dip (I used to get around 14-15 hours with moderate use, now I get about 10. This includes a decent amount of on screen time, music streaming, some netflix, etc.). I've noticed that a large chunk of the battery life is taken by Android OS, usually the screen is the highest with around 22-25 percent, but Android OS is now even higher, around 25-30 percent. It never used to be like this.

Also, this may be related but I'm not sure so I thought I'd mention it anyway. My phone has been getting quite hot to the touch, even when only having the screen on for maybe 5-7 minutes at the time. It gets to the point where I have to shut the screen off for a little and let the phone cool down before I can use it again. This doesn't happen every time, but it has happened enough to the point where I consider it to be a problem, because it never used to happen so frequently or get so hot after only using it a few minutes.

Any ideas? Are there any processes or anything that I should shut off to stop the Android OS battery hogging? Or is this a common problem and Moto will update it in the latest version. Any help you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated. I truly love this phone, and don't want to have to go to AT&T to replace it because working with them is such a damn pain. Thank you all in advance!
As always, its location services. And apps using it. Turn it off for a day and see.
Sent from my new HTC One M8, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life? Any device welcome, even tho its an N5 thread. Please specify if on a device other than N5. Lots of info in first 4 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips