Moto X, Intermittent Root

Tip us?

Turbocom
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Question Moto X, Intermittent Root

Greetings y'all.

I'm rocking a Moto X from the Canadian carrier Rogers and I'm currently running on Android 4.2, with the well... what was latest version for the Moto X, the update that included the camera fixes. I originally rooted my Moto X with the first root method that became available and then recently I used the new RockMyMoto method and I've experienced a peculiar issue and I was hoping someone would be able to offer me some advice.

After rooting my device with RockMyMoto my device had root working perfectly! The applications that rely on root were working perfectly and then one day... something happened. AdAway failed to install the updated host file, so I went into AdAway and it gave me a warning that said root was required.

I found this to be odd... so I exited the application and tried again. The same dialog came up with the same message. I decided to clear the application data and remove AdAway from SuperSU and then reinstalled the application. The problem persisted. I then rebooted my device and tried again and all of a sudden it worked. Now it appears my device is getting intermittent root?

When I turn my phone on I get a notification from Koush's Superuser (I switched from SuperSU, this might be the issue, at least I thought it might be until I switched back to SuperSU) saying that the binary was outdated and I needed an update, so I updated it and it was working so then I decided to try AdAway and... it worked! Success! or so I thought... a few minutes later I tried again and that same dialog came up.

Herumph! I proclaimed. What is this sorcery? Well... it seems my Moto X is getting an intermittent root or something that's only available once the system starts up again.

I tried running RockMyMoto again but that didn't seem to work, mind you I didn't unroot and then reroot.

My question for you is, well... how can I fix this? I don't want to restore my device to stock Android and I also don't want to do some sort of complex trickery because I'm expecting a 4.4 update sometime soon. Anyways, give me a hand guys!
Current Devices:
Moto X
Google Nexus 7 2013

Future Devices:
Moto X v2

Retired Devices:
Google Nexus One
Google Galaxy Nexus
Google Nexus 4
Google Nexus 7 2012

Other Devices:
Pebble Smartwatch

kj2112
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1633
You may not have root after 4.4 anyway... Some say.

Sent from my Moto X cell phone telephone...

M973
Old
Thanks Meter 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbocom View Post
Greetings y'all.

I'm rocking a Moto X from the Canadian carrier Rogers and I'm currently running on Android 4.2, with the well... what was latest version for the Moto X, the update that included the camera fixes. I originally rooted my Moto X with the first root method that became available and then recently I used the new RockMyMoto method and I've experienced a peculiar issue and I was hoping someone would be able to offer me some advice.

After rooting my device with RockMyMoto my device had root working perfectly! The applications that rely on root were working perfectly and then one day... something happened. AdAway failed to install the updated host file, so I went into AdAway and it gave me a warning that said root was required.

I found this to be odd... so I exited the application and tried again. The same dialog came up with the same message. I decided to clear the application data and remove AdAway from SuperSU and then reinstalled the application. The problem persisted. I then rebooted my device and tried again and all of a sudden it worked. Now it appears my device is getting intermittent root?

When I turn my phone on I get a notification from Koush's Superuser (I switched from SuperSU, this might be the issue, at least I thought it might be until I switched back to SuperSU) saying that the binary was outdated and I needed an update, so I updated it and it was working so then I decided to try AdAway and... it worked! Success! or so I thought... a few minutes later I tried again and that same dialog came up.

Herumph! I proclaimed. What is this sorcery? Well... it seems my Moto X is getting an intermittent root or something that's only available once the system starts up again.

I tried running RockMyMoto again but that didn't seem to work, mind you I didn't unroot and then reroot.

My question for you is, well... how can I fix this? I don't want to restore my device to stock Android and I also don't want to do some sort of complex trickery because I'm expecting a 4.4 update sometime soon. Anyways, give me a hand guys!
I presume you're making changes/updates to SuperSU booting into recovery? I'm not sure, but I know I had some problems, lost root briefly when I updated but wasn't in recovery.

Turbocom
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Issue resolved! I wasn't applying the update in recovery. Silly me!
Current Devices:
Moto X
Google Nexus 7 2013

Future Devices:
Moto X v2

Retired Devices:
Google Nexus One
Google Galaxy Nexus
Google Nexus 4
Google Nexus 7 2012

Other Devices:
Pebble Smartwatch

EeyoreSyndrome
Old
Thanks Meter 16
The annoyance I saw was I had to reboot into "recovery" to make it have R/W status. That only lasts until the next reboot.

I ran the new pwnnomo or however its spelt, and don't have to worry about that anymore. And also now have safestrap

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Steve-x
Old
Thanks Meter 161
It is a Rogers Moto X so you can always make life simple and simply unlock the bootloader, no stopping you from enjoying root then even with the 4.4.x update.

Turbocom
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-x View Post
It is a Rogers Moto X so you can always make life simple and simply unlock the bootloader, no stopping you from enjoying root then even with the 4.4.x update.
Are you using 4.4?
Current Devices:
Moto X
Google Nexus 7 2013

Future Devices:
Moto X v2

Retired Devices:
Google Nexus One
Google Galaxy Nexus
Google Nexus 4
Google Nexus 7 2012

Other Devices: