5,600,335 Members 35,046 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Does the Moto X require a certain amperage to charge?

Tip us?

enjoimadcow
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default [Q] Does the Moto X require a certain amperage to charge?

Sorry if this has been asked before as I wasn't able to find a topic. I've noticed my phone only charges with certain chargers of mine. My car charger refuses to work along with one that I keep at work. The only thing I can think of is that the phone requires a certain amperage to even recognize that it is plugged in. Is this true?

Steve-x
Old
Thanks Meter 163
Have you tried different micro usb cables? I think that is more likely to be the problem then the power supply itself.

enjoimadcow
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-x View Post
Have you tried different micro usb cables? I think that is more likely to be the problem then the power supply itself.
No, but I have used the same cables in a different adapter and it work.

Solutions Etcetera
Old
Thanks Meter 153
Different chargers have different wiring on the data pins (2&3) depending on the host device. My experience with Android devices is that most (not necessarily all) expect data pins on AC chargers to be shorted, while Apple devices expect to see a load across these pins. A number of Android devices I have had drop their charging rates when that load is encountered just as if it was plugged into a computer's USB port (but can't say for sure whether they all do).

piskr
Old
Thanks Meter 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoimadcow View Post
No, but I have used the same cables in a different adapter and it work.
I think that the point is in voltage rather than in current. A lot of cheap adapters charge with the voltage above 5.2 what is approximately the margin where the electronic protection in phone blocks the charger to prevent it from damage. Low current could never be the problem besides the charging circle is prolonged.