Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,628 Members 38,910 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Moto X RMA Options

Tip us?
 
msuttie
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Dec 2013
Default [Q] Moto X RMA Options

Hey All,

Dropped my XT-1056 after owning it 6 months -> black screen and what appears to be a boot-loop. Contacted Motorola, and apparently it is still covered under warranty. However I do have an unlocked bootloader & root, and therefore my warranty is void. What are the chances they will notice the unlocked bootloader before opening it up and send it back as-is? I have heard rumors that popping it in the micro (I know I know this will pop a few transistors and brick my phone) will render it inert, and they would most likely just replace the phone. I have also heard that the first thing they do in the RMA process is a factory reset, so they might not notice the unlocked bootloader.

Any thoughts on which way I should go?

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong place.
 
drago10029
Old
#2  
drago10029's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 79
Posts: 463
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Phazon Mines
Quote:
Originally Posted by msuttie View Post
Hey All,

Dropped my XT-1056 after owning it 6 months -> black screen and what appears to be a boot-loop. Contacted Motorola, and apparently it is still covered under warranty. However I do have an unlocked bootloader & root, and therefore my warranty is void. What are the chances they will notice the unlocked bootloader before opening it up and send it back as-is? I have heard rumors that popping it in the micro (I know I know this will pop a few transistors and brick my phone) will render it inert, and they would most likely just replace the phone. I have also heard that the first thing they do in the RMA process is a factory reset, so they might not notice the unlocked bootloader.

Any thoughts on which way I should go?

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong place.
What did you tell them happened?

---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by msuttie View Post
Hey All,

Dropped my XT-1056 after owning it 6 months -> black screen and what appears to be a boot-loop. Contacted Motorola, and apparently it is still covered under warranty. However I do have an unlocked bootloader & root, and therefore my warranty is void. What are the chances they will notice the unlocked bootloader before opening it up and send it back as-is? I have heard rumors that popping it in the micro (I know I know this will pop a few transistors and brick my phone) will render it inert, and they would most likely just replace the phone. I have also heard that the first thing they do in the RMA process is a factory reset, so they might not notice the unlocked bootloader.

Any thoughts on which way I should go?

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong place.
Also, you didn't mention if you tried flashing back to complete stock. Maybe you should.
N5 EHNDROIX V 14.8.8
Skyrocket and Vibrant R.I.P. Gone but not forgotten! MOTO X Goodbye. Galaxy S III GOOD RIDDEN!!!

 
msuttie
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by drago10029 View Post
What did you tell them happened?

---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 PM ----------



Also, you didn't mention if you tried flashing back to complete stock. Maybe you should.
Sorry I didn't elaborate. I told them I dropped it from pocket height, and when I picked it up the screen was black, and it appeared to be going through a boot loop (vibrating for a second, 10-15s pause, repeat). I did not mention the bootloader/root. I am currently trying to find a way to do a factory reset without the use of my screen, possibly through TWRP (if I can find a good set of screenshots) or some terminal commands. I believe I can get my phone to the bootloader by holding vol down + pwr for a few seconds, but have no way of confirming this, other than the fact that it stops the periodic vibrating. Still does not show it is connected to my PC, so I think Terminal is out of the question unfortunately.
 
drago10029
Old
#4  
drago10029's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 79
Posts: 463
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Phazon Mines
Quote:
Originally Posted by msuttie View Post
Sorry I didn't elaborate. I told them I dropped it from pocket height, and when I picked it up the screen was black, and it appeared to be going through a boot loop (vibrating for a second, 10-15s pause, repeat). I did not mention the bootloader/root. I am currently trying to find a way to do a factory reset without the use of my screen, possibly through TWRP (if I can find a good set of screenshots) or some terminal commands. I believe I can get my phone to the bootloader by holding vol down + pwr for a few seconds, but have no way of confirming this, other than the fact that it stops the periodic vibrating. Still does not show it is connected to my PC, so I think Terminal is out of the question unfortunately.
Dang that sucks, and I was about to recommend terminal. I think trying to connect and run abd commands thru linux or ubuntu might help. also just youtube a TWRP video, but MAKE SURE YOU ARE VIEWING THE CORRECT VERSION! lol if not that could be fatal.

---------- Post added at 10:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 PM ----------

also the microwave thing don't sound like a good idea lol. Especially if you didn't purchase the accident proof warranty.
N5 EHNDROIX V 14.8.8
Skyrocket and Vibrant R.I.P. Gone but not forgotten! MOTO X Goodbye. Galaxy S III GOOD RIDDEN!!!

 
msuttie
Old
#5  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by drago10029 View Post
Dang that sucks, and I was about to recommend terminal. I think trying to connect and run abd commands thru linux or ubuntu might help. also just youtube a TWRP video, but MAKE SURE YOU ARE VIEWING THE CORRECT VERSION! lol if not that could be fatal.
Indeed it would be. Haha! Even it it was fatal, do you think they would open it up before doing software diags? Seems unlikely, but might be worth a shot.

Another alternative is that it is just a loose cable, and opening it up might be an easy fix. This however would definitely void the warranty, would it not?
 
drago10029
Old
#6  
drago10029's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 79
Posts: 463
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Phazon Mines
Quote:
Originally Posted by msuttie View Post
Indeed it would be. Haha! Even it it was fatal, do you think they would open it up before doing software diags? Seems unlikely, but might be worth a shot.

Another alternative is that it is just a loose cable, and opening it up might be an easy fix. This however would definitely void the warranty, would it not?
Also you gotta test on a good cable bro lol and the back USB port. That like an XDA rule or it should be! also microwave would melt the plastic on the moto X and could hurt you or your microwave so please don't do that. Cell phones have enough radiation and microwaves too.

Opening up would void that, unless you know what your doing. check some youtube videos as well. If you can get a stuff flashed at least, that would be the best bet to save yourself.

---------- Post added at 11:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 PM ----------

WAIT A SEC!! You said you dropped unlocked your bootlader?? right? and THEN you called and asked about the warranty and they said it still in effect?

I'm only mentioning that because they're supposed to have record of unlocked bootladers, someone help on this? Or was it just a bad rep.

You def should double check with another representative. You did unlock through Moto's website right?
N5 EHNDROIX V 14.8.8
Skyrocket and Vibrant R.I.P. Gone but not forgotten! MOTO X Goodbye. Galaxy S III GOOD RIDDEN!!!

 
msuttie
Old
#7  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by drago10029 View Post
Also you gotta test on a good cable bro lol and the back USB port. That like an XDA rule or it should be! also microwave would melt the plastic on the moto X and could hurt you or your microwave so please don't do that. Cell phones have enough radiation and microwaves too.

Opening up would void that, unless you know what your doing. check some youtube videos as well. If you can get a stuff flashed at least, that would be the best bet to save yourself.

---------- Post added at 11:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 PM ----------

WAIT A SEC!! You said you dropped unlocked your bootlader?? right? and THEN you called and asked about the warranty and they said it still in effect?

I'm only mentioning that because they're supposed to have record of unlocked bootladers, someone help on this? Or was it just a bad rep.

You def should double check with another representative. You did unlock through Moto's website right?
Nope. My coworker helped me through the unlocking process. He's done it a thousand times apparently, and it was my first, so I don't quite remember how he did it. Definitely not through Moto though. Told them I dropped it, was surprised when they said it was still covered, and am now going to send it off with all fingers crossed, and hope they don't send it back unfixed after a week.

Hell. Might be worth it to just drop the 200 for a new one. lol!
 
KidJoe
Old
#8  
KidJoe's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 771
Posts: 1,961
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Thorndale/Romansville, PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by msuttie View Post
Sorry I didn't elaborate. I told them I dropped it from pocket height, and when I picked it up the screen was black, and it appeared to be going through a boot loop (vibrating for a second, 10-15s pause, repeat). I did not mention the bootloader/root. I am currently trying to find a way to do a factory reset without the use of my screen, possibly through TWRP (if I can find a good set of screenshots) or some terminal commands. I believe I can get my phone to the bootloader by holding vol down + pwr for a few seconds, but have no way of confirming this, other than the fact that it stops the periodic vibrating. Still does not show it is connected to my PC, so I think Terminal is out of the question unfortunately.
That is what you told them, dropped... but what really happened?

Symptoms do sound like something I had when I flashed a bad logo.bin on my XT1060. Screen didnt' work, just vibrated every few seconds. I did manage to hold the power button to stop vibrating, and then managed to get the phone into fastboot mode and fix.

If you can get your phone into fastboot mode, fastboot erase data and fastboot erase cache should do a factory reset.

If your screen doesn't turn on, they may not see you unlocked your bootloader (since you got code from 3rd party, they wound't have another way to check). and since your phone doesn't boot, they probably wont see its rooted either. So you MIGHT be ok.
aka Mark_Venture

My Moto X tips and info

Currently using Verizon Moto X Developer Edition on my personal line.. But I have too many devices to choose from for work and personal... For the full list click -> HERE <-

Sign up for Dropbox -> HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Android M Mentions Spotted in Android Code Review

While we are still waiting for Android L to be officially released, the first mentions of … more

Create a Simple Custom Launcher from Scratch

When you are starting your journey intoany sort of development, it’s never easy at the … more

MediaTek Continues Steps Towards Being Developer-Friendly

Not too long ago MediaTek was very closed off towards the mobile developer … more