Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,777,839 Members 47,711 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Moto X "SIM from unknown source"

Tip us?

CraviingCritic
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Moto X "SIM from unknown source"

XDA, I've been searching the depths of the interwebz for the past few days trying to find a solution to my problem. The problem being;

My VZW Moto X spits out a "This SIM is from an unknown source" error, followed by "Restricted Access Changed" scrolling across my notification bar when inserting my MetroPCS SIM. I've tried manually selecting the network, and it refuses to connect. I've also tried entering my APN setting manually, but to no avail. So, you guys have any ideas?

I'd post a screenshot in-line, but XDA is being a pain because of my low post count, so check the attachments.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1784f767a312d8bb8cf56b813d501068.png
Views:	54
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	2779574  

samwathegreat
Old
Thanks Meter 1331

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraviingCritic View Post
XDA, I've been searching the depths of the interwebz for the past few days trying to find a solution to my problem. The problem being;

My VZW Moto X spits out a "This SIM is from an unknown source" error, followed by "Restricted Access Changed" scrolling across my notification bar when inserting my MetroPCS SIM. I've tried manually selecting the network, and it refuses to connect. I've also tried entering my APN setting manually, but to no avail. So, you guys have any ideas?

I'd post a screenshot in-line, but XDA is being a pain because of my low post count, so check the attachments.
This is slightly unrelated, but I notice your Caller Name ID has expired....

Might I suggest you check out the "Current Caller ID" app. It is published by WhitePages, has similar functionality, and is free.
Help us keep XDA fun and safe. Please read the RULES, and please respect your fellow members.

Looking for a new carrier? Check out Republic Wireless!
Plans starting at $10 for unlimited talk/text and $25 with unlimited data.
Use this link to save $20. RW is my carrier and I couldn't be happier with them.

I successfully CRACKED the SIM-LOCK on the Sprint XT1056 Moto X. Read about it HERE

Donate to me via BitCoin - 17Ewsoxyr5ucMjfBRGpyP2QHX3HZiqMEMJ

KidJoe
Old
Thanks Meter 743
SIM is from an unknown source when using a non-VZW sim has started happening since flashing 4.4 on my X. It happens on my Galaxy S4 too. I haven't tried on my GS5.

I no of know way around it.

For Metro PCS, at one time they were a CDMA carrier like Verizon. Do they use CDMA in your area still, or are they now GSM only? If they use GSM only, your APN settings must be EXACTLY correct for them to work. If they still use CDMA, then there are some underlying CDMA/EVDO settings on your phone that will likely need to be changed. I know I saw some threads about using QPST and other tools to make edits for other CDMA carriers, but I've not seen it for MPCS.
aka Mark_Venture

My Moto X tips and info

Currently using Verizon Moto X Developer Edition on my personal line.. But I have too many devices to choose from for work and personal... For the full list click -> HERE <-