[Q] Moto X from T-Mobile to AT&T

OP shahud

19th June 2014, 11:11 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Macon, GA
Thanks Meter: 3

108 posts
More
I want to get a Moto X that would work if I decided to switch from T-Mobile to AT&T. My first preference is to buy it from Best Buy (I have some gift cards) but the guy at the store said if I bought a T-Mobile Moto X from them it wouldn't work if I switched to AT&T because it would be locked. From what I understand, T-Mobile can and will unlock this device for me if I ask them (nicely) meaning I could then use it with AT&T. Is my understanding correct?

My other options are to buy one from T-Mobile or get one from Motorola's website. Same question with these phones: Even if they are locked to T-Mobile at first, can I get them unlocked and use them on AT&T?

Thanks for any and all help!
19th June 2014, 11:17 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 506

1,210 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahud

I want to get a Moto X that would work if I decided to switch from T-Mobile to AT&T. My first preference is to buy it from Best Buy (I have some gift cards) but the guy at the store said if I bought a T-Mobile Moto X from them it wouldn't work if I switched to AT&T because it would be locked. From what I understand, T-Mobile can and will unlock this device for me if I ask them (nicely) meaning I could then use it with AT&T. Is my understanding correct?

My other options are to buy one from T-Mobile or get one from Motorola's website. Same question with these phones: Even if they are locked to T-Mobile at first, can I get them unlocked and use them on AT&T?

Friend..the best way to do it, is to purchase an unbranded, no carrier Moto X from Motorola Website..then you can use whomever you wish..I'd suggest the Developer Edition..otherwise you'll probably have to purchase a "branded" model..

Tip: do everything in your power to purchase an "unbranded" unlockable device..

Here is a list of devices that can be unlocked..look in Moto X list..which can be unlocked..I don't see AT&T listed as unlockable..but they do offer the Moto X..but if I was to guess..I'd say theirs is also unlockable.. but verify this before a purchase..

But..if your budget doesn't allow for the price of a Moto XDEV..then certainly consider the new Moto G 4G LTE..the two are VERY similar is size, and the G will run right along side with the X..I have both..and a budget certainly will justify the new Moto G..and its not carrier branded, runs LTE blazing..consider the Moto G..I have one on AT&T..all my devices are now on AT&T..but of course, depends on your area, to which carrier..

Here >> https://motorola-global-portal.custh...ail/a_id/87215

sent by my 4.2.2_12.15.15
(Unlocked) XT1080M Droid Maxx #1
http://waynekent.com/page6.html
Last edited by NWKENT; 19th June 2014 at 12:03 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to NWKENT For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th June 2014, 01:35 PM   |  #3  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Thorndale/Romansville, PA
Thanks Meter: 914

2,181 posts
More
Quote:

I don't know that there is a "T-Mobile Branded" X, and I don't think T-Mobile sells the X directly (at least it isn't on their web site).

Your choice, is the GSM UNlocked (includes T-Mobile sim) from Moto Maker web site, or the GSM Developer Edition... why?

These are the only way to get a Moto X that supports HSPA/HSPA+ over AWS (1700mhz) that T-mobile uses. History or why is this a consideration: When T-mobile started rolling out their HSPA/HSPA+ network, they did so on AWS(1700mhz) and are the only carrier to do so. While they are re-farming their 1900mhz from EDGE to HSPA+ in many areas, that isn't complete, so if the phone doesn't support HSPA/HSPA+ on AWS, it will fall back to EDGE in those legacy areas which remain.

Now, what is the difference between the GSM Unlocked and GSM Dev Edition? Kind of simple...

The GSM Developer Edition comes only as 32gig with black face, woven white back, silver accents (buttons and camera ring), and says Developer Edition on the back.

The GSM Unlocked (includes T-Mobile SIM) on Moto Maker can be ordered as 16, 32, or 64gig, and the face, back and accents can be customized, along with other customization.

BOTH are SIM unlocked out of the box. Both can be bootloader unlocked, however doing so voids the warranty on the GSM Unlocked version but not the Dev Edition.

Both of these editions support the same GSM/EDGE/GPRS/HSPA/HSPA+/LTE bands and frequencies. In fact, they are the same "board' inside, use the same roms, etc. i.e. other than the look of the outside & customization options, and bootloader unlocking voiding vs not voiding the warranty, they are the same phone. (hence the GSM Dev Edition being the preferred choice so you can unlock the bootloader and easily root it without voiding the warranty).

If you are on T-Mobile today, you could buy the ATT version at no contract direct from Moto, BUT... you can't unlock the bootloader (moto doesn't give out the codes for ATT, Verizon, Republic wireless and a few others), ATT Wont sim unlock it (so you could use with T-Mobile) unless you are their customer for a certain period of time, and it doesn't support HSPA/HSPA+ on AWS. While the ATT X does support 2 extra LTE bands, those bands are not currently used in the USA.

Hope that makes sense.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KidJoe For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th June 2014, 06:42 AM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Macon, GA
Thanks Meter: 3

108 posts
More
Thanks for the responses! So let's say I were to order the GSM unlocked version (I'm not worried about voiding the warranty by unlocking the bootloader) with the T-Mobile SIM from motomaker and I used it on T-Mobile for a few months. If I were unhappy with the service from T-Mobile, would I be able to replace the T-Mobile SIM with an AT&T SIM and use it on AT&T's network?

P.S. I did take a look at the Moto G 4G and the Dev Edition but considering who is going to use this phone (my mom), my budget and the reviews the Moto X has gotten I decided that the X would be the best choice.
20th June 2014, 03:19 PM   |  #5  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Thorndale/Romansville, PA
Thanks Meter: 914

2,181 posts
More
Quote:

Thanks for the responses! So let's say I were to order the GSM unlocked version (I'm not worried about voiding the warranty by unlocking the bootloader) with the T-Mobile SIM from motomaker and I used it on T-Mobile for a few months. If I were unhappy with the service from T-Mobile, would I be able to replace the T-Mobile SIM with an AT&T SIM and use it on AT&T's network?

Yes, that is correct. The only caveat being that if ATT ever starts using those two extra LTE Bands (band 5 and 7) in the USA then the GSM Unlocked will have a slight disadvantage as it doesn't support them (hardware wise).
The Following User Says Thank You to KidJoe For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd June 2014, 05:23 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 318

868 posts
More
Quote:

P.S. I did take a look at the Moto G 4G and the Dev Edition but considering who is going to use this phone (my mom), my budget and the reviews the Moto X has gotten I decided that the X would be the best choice.

moto x is a great phone for mom because it just works. Good choice my friend.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
23rd June 2014, 06:11 AM   |  #7  
Flag Alba, Texas
Thanks Meter: 254

482 posts
More
Quote:

I bought the T-Mobile/GSM unlocked version from MotoMaker and it's working on my AT&T GoPhone plan no problem. I cut my micro-SIM down to nano and it works in the X just like it did in my Nexus 4. Interestingly I get better signal in many areas on LTE than my N4 got on HSPA+.

Sent from my Moto X (XT1053) using Tapatalk
24th June 2014, 01:18 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 506

1,210 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnp9008

I bought the T-Mobile/GSM unlocked version from MotoMaker and it's working on my AT&T GoPhone plan no problem. I cut my micro-SIM down to nano and it works in the X just like it did in my Nexus 4. Interestingly I get better signal in many areas on LTE than my N4 got on HSPA+.

Sent from my Moto X (XT1053) using Tapatalk

I have this device on the AT&T GoPhone plan and very pleased with LTE here in the mountains of NC..out performs my Moto X Dev Edition and Droid Maxx Dev Edition (Verizon) here..

Sent from my 4.4.3_21.23.4
(Unlocked) XT1045 Moto G 4G LTE
http://waynekent.com/page6.html
Last edited by NWKENT; 24th June 2014 at 01:22 AM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread