[Q] Is the Moto X "unlocked T-mo" a good choice for me?
I have been interested in the Moto X ever since the release late last year and now its at such a great price... But I must ask everyone that has already made the jump, is this device what I am looking for?
At the moment I have a Galaxy S3 through At&t loaded up with CM 10.1.3 and to be honest I am happy with the phone... but am becoming more anxious for a upgrade each day, mostly due to the abysmal battery life and non-support for things I like *wallet*.
Anyways needless to say I am about ready to upgrade to something fresh and new. I am choosing to go unlocked because AT&T is offering a discount towards customers who do not take up a subsidized plan.
Naturally I checked out the Google Play edition phones and the Nexus line first, I was hoping the X would be among their ranks, after all google did own motorola up until a week ago. However all they had was the Moto G which was is the lower end sibling to the X.
So thats when I started really digging in and when I found out motorola actually sells unlocked phones through their site. The T-mobile one being the best choice because you can unlock the bootloader and it still supports at&t fully in the USA. The only other option would had been the GSM developer edition, but I would have to forgo any customization for very little benefit in the end.
But I am sitting here wondering to myself... is now a good time to get a new phone, is this the right choice, would this phone make me happy for at least a year and half?
My largest concern with this phone is its future, how much longer can/will motorola support updates for the X? Will we see the next version of android come to this device before its antiqued by motorola? If it is shelved, is the community broad enough to provide quality unofficial updates that will offer a wonderful experience?
I mean when I look at the development section just for the AT&T galaxy S3 there is numerous ROM's several of them being official groups like CM and AOKP. But then when I checked the CM site for the T-Mobile Moto-X there is nothing, it is literally blank, is it because they don't believe the Moto X yet needs CM to fill in the gaps, or is it because they have no interest in supporting it at all?
I would pick a Nexus 5, given it is guaranteed fast updates, but the Moto X just seems like a better fit for me. I love the idea of the anywhere handsfree google now, the style of the phone just looks better, and it is stock-enough for my needs.
I guess ultimately these are my biggest questions.
1. How future-proof do you guys think this is, at least update wise? Since CM does have a page for the Moto-X does that mean they will support it eventually? The phone is widely regarded and to my knowledge quite popular, I dont see why the carrier-locked boot loader would stop CM when it didn't for other handsets.
2. What is battery life like? Given alot of you have probably had the phone for a few months, hows the battery life now, is it degrading badly?
3. Overall would this be a good upgrade coming from a GS3?
4. Should I save up and get a Nexus 5 or another google play device?
5. Is it a good time to upgrade? Or should I wait a month or two?
6. How is the camera? Is it really much worse than the GS4, IP5S, and Nokia Lumina camera's?
7. Does it support google wallet? Does it lack support for any other apps on the play store?
Lastly, how is the support for accessories? I would like to get a Pebble eventually and I have a few bluetooth stereos. Does the Moto X support most of these without issue?