Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,145 Members 36,216 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

moto x unlocking

Tip us?
 
dgross1123
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 23
Join Date: Jul 2011
Prompt moto x unlocking

someone told me it is possible to jtag my moto x runnong 4.4.2 in order to make it a dev edition , but said tht after i would not recevie any updtae which is fine ............is this possible and if so could someone direct me on how to or refer me to site tht tells me how
 
KidJoe
Old
#2  
KidJoe's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 765
Posts: 1,956
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Thorndale/Romansville, PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgross1123 View Post
someone told me it is possible to jtag my moto x runnong 4.4.2 in order to make it a dev edition , but said tht after i would not recevie any updtae which is fine ............is this possible and if so could someone direct me on how to or refer me to site tht tells me how
I have not heard of that.

Besides the physical appearance, when it comes to the difference between the "Developer Edition" and Retail or Moto Maker edition, the only difference is unlocking the bootloader on the Dev Edition doesn't void the warranty, but on the "non-Dev" it does void the warranty.

For the most part, Motorola gives the bootloader unlock code away for free on their web site, along with the instructions to unlock. The exception being in the case of a few carriers like ATT, Verizon and Republic Wireless, where for what appears to be carrier requirements, they do NOT give out the code.

If you have ATT, VZW or Republic Wireless, and have an X built in 2014, see the China Middle Man is back thread in the general section about getting a bootloader unlock code from the only way possible at this time. But yes, it does void the warranty
aka Mark_Venture

My Moto X tips and info

Currently using Verizon Moto X Developer Edition on my personal line.. But I have too many devices to choose from for work and personal... For the full list click -> HERE <-

Sign up for Dropbox -> HERE
The Following User Says Thank You to KidJoe For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
dgross1123
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 23
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidJoe View Post
I have not heard of that.

Besides the physical appearance, when it comes to the difference between the "Developer Edition" and Retail or Moto Maker edition, the only difference is unlocking the bootloader on the Dev Edition doesn't void the warranty, but on the "non-Dev" it does void the warranty.

For the most part, Motorola gives the bootloader unlock code away for free on their web site, along with the instructions to unlock. The exception being in the case of a few carriers like ATT, Verizon and Republic Wireless, where for what appears to be carrier requirements, they do NOT give out the code.

If you have ATT, VZW or Republic Wireless, and have an X built in 2014, see the China Middle Man is back thread in the general section about getting a bootloader unlock code from the only way possible at this time. But yes, it does void the warranty
thank you for your response I do know that the unlocking the bootloader voids the warranty but again I ask is there any way to JTAG in order to unlock for att or verizonhas anyone looked into that and how reliable are the Chinese middleman for unlocking the bootloader
 
KidJoe
Old
#4  
KidJoe's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 765
Posts: 1,956
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Thorndale/Romansville, PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgross1123 View Post
thank you for your response I do know that the unlocking the bootloader voids the warranty but again I ask is there any way to JTAG in order to unlock for att or verizonhas anyone looked into that and how reliable are the Chinese middleman for unlocking the bootloader
I have seen NOTHING on using JTAG to unlock the bootloader on the Moto X.

Since its release, the only way to UNLOCK the Bootloader on the X has been to get the unlock code.

How reliable is the middle man? Just read that thread. If the build date on your phone is 2014, you will likely be able to get a code. The middle man doesn't have "real time access" to the database containing the unlock codes, so if your phone was built a week ago, you might have to wait. As long as you meet those conditions, you'll likely get your code. In cases where the middle man didn't have the code, he's refunded the money.
aka Mark_Venture

My Moto X tips and info

Currently using Verizon Moto X Developer Edition on my personal line.. But I have too many devices to choose from for work and personal... For the full list click -> HERE <-

Sign up for Dropbox -> HERE
The Following User Says Thank You to KidJoe For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
hawkdown77
Old
#5  
hawkdown77's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 24
Posts: 191
Join Date: Dec 2011
Hi...someone can help me?
I have bootloader unlocked and root. If.i do update for 4.4.3 version i lost root??



PHONE: Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 / ROM: 4.1.2 JB / KERNEL: APOLO 4.12 V0
 
samwathegreat
Old
#6  
samwathegreat's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1,606
Posts: 1,887
Join Date: Apr 2010

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdown77 View Post
Hi...someone can help me?
I have bootloader unlocked and root. If.i do update for 4.4.3 version i lost root??
Nope. Not if the bootloader is unlocked...

Good Luck
Help us keep XDA fun and safe. Please read the RULES, and please respect your fellow members.

Looking for a new carrier? Check out Republic Wireless!
Plans starting at $10 for unlimited talk/text and $25 with unlimited data.
Use this link to save $20. RW is my carrier and I couldn't be happier with them.


I successfully CRACKED the SIM-LOCK on the Sprint XT1056 Moto X. Read about it HERE



Donate to me via BitCoin - 1samwaLJ7EdQFGME1dkUGPFZywUEKnXcT
 
KidJoe
Old
#7  
KidJoe's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 765
Posts: 1,956
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Thorndale/Romansville, PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdown77 View Post
Hi...someone can help me?
I have bootloader unlocked and root. If.i do update for 4.4.3 version i lost root??
You might, but with an unlocked bootlaoder you can easily re-root at any time.
aka Mark_Venture

My Moto X tips and info

Currently using Verizon Moto X Developer Edition on my personal line.. But I have too many devices to choose from for work and personal... For the full list click -> HERE <-

Sign up for Dropbox -> HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Add the Xperia Z2 Lock Screen to Your Favorite KitKat ROM

Almost every OEM adds its own unique flair to their stock firmwares. While some of … more

Android App Review: Control Your Phone with Quick Control Panel – XDA Developer TV

Your Android smart device has many features that you … more

Play Music on Android Wear with Stellio Music Player

Android Wear smartwatchesare growing inpopularity every day. Some devices have already … more

Schedule is up for xda:devcon ’14

With xda:devcon ’14 just around the corner, and the venue close to selling out, there is a lot … more