Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,114 Members 38,295 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] What Moto X version to get

Tip us?

Hikikomori-Otaku
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Default [Q] What Moto X version to get

So I'm having a bit of a conundrum. My current RAZR M is very nice, but is facing a few problems (I won't go into detail). After a lot of research, I've decided the Moto X will most likely be my next phone. Some additional motivation is I have a $50 coupon off a new Moto X and tomorrow starts Motorola's Moto X Valentine's Day sale. It seems like a good time to pick one up.

My question is should I get the Dev version with the black front with white backing, to which I'm not a huge fan of or get a MotoMaker version and design one that I like? Like most here, once I get my hands on the device, I'm going to want to root it and start tweaking everything to my liking. Any help is greatly appreciated.
If my username is too difficult to say, just call me Kiri (^^)

TheSaw
Old
Thanks Meter 414

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikikomori-Otaku View Post
So I'm having a bit of a conundrum. My current RAZR M is very nice, but is facing a few problems (I won't go into detail). After a lot of research, I've decided the Moto X will most likely be my next phone. Some additional motivation is I have a $50 coupon off a new Moto X and tomorrow starts Motorola's Moto X Valentine's Day sale. It seems like a good time to pick one up.

My question is should I get the Dev version with the black front with white backing, to which I'm not a huge fan of or get a MotoMaker version and design one that I like? Like most here, once I get my hands on the device, I'm going to want to root it and start tweaking everything to my liking. Any help is greatly appreciated.
There have been lots of threads on this. Searching is good.

The cheapest, most customizable and most tweakable is the T-Mobile version. this comes already carrier unlocked, and you can unlock its bootloader easily.
GS2 i9100 - CM10.1.3
MotoX [XT1053|32GB|B/WB/B]

nhizzat
Old
Thanks Meter 72
Quote:
My question is should I get the Dev version with the black front with white backing, to which I'm not a huge fan of or get a MotoMaker version and design one that I like?
I think you already know the answer. It's like trying to decide between the ugly girl who gives it up easily or the attractive girl who makes you work for it but is totally worth the time and effort.

Restola
Old
Thanks Meter 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhizzat View Post
I think you already know the answer. It's like trying to decide between the ugly girl who gives it up easily or the attractive girl who makes you work for it but is totally worth the time and effort.
I deal with my hot wife every day. I want my phone to be easy. I went with the dev model and am happy

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

ozzyGEEK
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Phone + Easy = iPhone

Phone: Moto X
ROM: 4.4 Stock w/ Root
Xposed: GravityBox & App Settings
Service: T-Mobile
Android Stuff: http://ozzygeek.tumblr.com

---------- Post added at 04:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 AM ----------

We like our phones hot like your wife lol

Phone: Moto X
ROM: 4.4 Stock w/ Root
Xposed: GravityBox & App Settings
Service: T-Mobile
Android Stuff: http://ozzygeek.tumblr.com

Coop9
Old
Thanks Meter 71
Quote:

I'm assuming you're a VZW customer, and planning to stay as one... So don't get the Tmobile version.

What means more to you, a customized look, or the ability to unlock it? Unlocking guarantees you the ability to root. While you can root the VZW moto maker phones, you cannot now, and likely will never be able to unlock it.

Hikikomori-Otaku
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSaw View Post
There have been lots of threads on this. Searching is good.

The cheapest, most customizable and most tweakable is the T-Mobile version. this comes already carrier unlocked, and you can unlock its bootloader easily.
To be fair, I did search and not just here. Most what I found were people moving from "top-tier" model phones. The other being that the prices have change a bit from the release date. I will keep you advice in mind though.

I was thining the T-Mobile version would be the best too. From what I've read, it'll be a bit of work but that is part of the fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhizzat View Post
While I may not like to context of your analogy, you message is clear. Getting a beautiful phone and putting forth a bit of work to making fully my own may be worth it in the end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop9 View Post
I'm assuming you're a VZW customer, and planning to stay as one... So don't get the Tmobile version.

What means more to you, a customized look, or the ability to unlock it? Unlocking guarantees you the ability to root. While you can root the VZW moto maker phones, you cannot now, and likely will never be able to unlock it.
When I originally got my RAZR M, I was on VZW (prepaid to be exact), the tweaks I had done to make it work on their network caused to phone to not play well with the network at times. I removed the frequency block on the radio and now am running my RAZR M with a GoPhone SIM. Works much better even if AT&T's coverage isn't as good a VZW's in my area.
If my username is too difficult to say, just call me Kiri (^^)