[Q] Motorola Moto X in UK & Flashing basebands

Tip us?

Gogz_
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default [Q] Motorola Moto X in UK & Flashing basebands

Good day all,

I'm considering importing a Motorola Moto X to the UK and was wondering if anyone could help answer some questions so that I may pick the right model. I haven't been able to find my answers specifically in other posts.

As I understand it, only the Rogers model has the 2600Mhz band (band 7) which will allow the phone to use 4G in the UK.

Unfortunately only the 16Gb model is available which isn't much good to me.

I see however that the 4.4 leak on AT&T Moto X unlocks this band 7, however the recommendations are not to buy an AT&T model.

Is this because the AT&T model is not sim unlockable? Or can i not flash stock google to the AT & T phone?

If this is not the case is it possible to flash the rodgers radio say, to a developer edition 32Gb phone?

In short, is there a way to flash different basebands across the Moto X?

Cheers,

Gordon

Steve-x
Old
Thanks Meter 163
If you want band 7 LTE and 32gb I think the only possible option that exists right now is the AT&T model. They are simlocked from factory and will require an unlock code. Most of the time they can be unlocked but there are a few cases where no unlock code seemed to work. They cannot be bootloader unlocked which means you can only run AT&T firmware.
They also don't officially support band 7 LTE, but at this time it does appear to be enabled.

The modem files/baseband files can be flashed between the different models however that does not change the basic band support built into the phone. The only model made with band 7 LTE hardware support is the XT-1058.

The Rogers version can be flashed with the retail/dev edition firmware(after the bootloader is unlocked) but it will always only have 16gb of storage, they don't offer a 32gb version(silly Rogers). The Rogers version is also simlocked from factory but unlock codes are 8 dollars or less and are easy to get.

Overall the AT&T firmware isn't that bad, most of the bloat can easily be disabled, as long as they don't remove band 7 support and it is simunlocked you'll be fine, and you can have your 32gb. (and you get a bonus AT&T logo on the back of the phone)
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve-x For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Gogz_
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Thanks for your quick response Steve-x.

I see now that the Band 7 radio is a hardware rather than a software feature and that it's specifically an XT1058 I'm after.

I have just one more question in that case and I guess it's aimed at those with knowledge or experience of AT&T...

If I were to get an AT&T phone on leak 4.4 and AT&T were later to release the official 4.4 which blocked band 7 (or even a patch which blocked band 7) would this be pushed to my phone? Or is it the case i can stick to the leaked 4.4 without ever upgrading?

Cheers,

Gordon