Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,421 Members 39,065 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

MotoWPNoMo how to get back to 1

Tip us?

drago10029
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 79
Default MotoWPNoMo how to get back to 1

For starters, I have no root, no xposed, no unlocked bootloader, now....

Like the title says, how do I get the phone to undo MotoWPNoMo & write protection back to 1? Is there a method? Where does does MotoWPNoMo make it's changes (bootloader or recovery)?

I'm under the assumption that the changes are made in the bootloader since that's the only thing that doesn't get flashed when downgrading/upgrading from 4.2.2 to 4.4, so updating to 4.4.2 will do it? also should I use fastboot or will an OTA be enough?

Thanks in advanced!
N5 EHNDROIX V 14.8.8
Skyrocket and Vibrant R.I.P. Gone but not forgotten! MOTO X Goodbye. Galaxy S III GOOD RIDDEN!!!

KidJoe
Old
Thanks Meter 771
I think I saw you also post this question in another thread, and get the answer... but for those who stumble upon this thread while searching..

If your phone has a locked bootloader and you've rooted with SlapMyMoto (or similar) and Disabled Write Protection by using MotoWpNoMo, but want to re-enable Write Protection for some reason...

There is no way to remove the effects of MotoWpNoMo on 4.4 or lower.

4.4.2 closes the loophole exploited by MotoWpNoMo, so Yes, just get as close to stock and take the OTA to 4.4.2, or use RSDLite to flash the FULL 4.4.2 SBF to your phone, or mFastboot to manually flash ALL parts, one at a time, to your phone. Write protection will become re-enabled once 4.4.2 is on your phone.

Keep in mind, once on 4.4.2 there is no way to root or disable write protection unless you unlock your bootloader.
aka Mark_Venture

My Moto X tips and info

Currently using Verizon Moto X Developer Edition on my personal line.. But I have too many devices to choose from for work and personal... For the full list click -> HERE <-

drago10029
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidJoe View Post
I think I saw you also post this question in another thread, and get the answer... but for those who stumble upon this thread while searching..

If your phone has a locked bootloader and you've rooted with SlapMyMoto (or similar) and Disabled Write Protection by using MotoWpNoMo, but want to re-enable Write Protection for some reason...

There is no way to remove the effects of MotoWpNoMo on 4.4 or lower.

4.4.2 closes the loophole exploited by MotoWpNoMo, so Yes, just get as close to stock and take the OTA to 4.4.2, or use RSDLite to flash the FULL 4.4.2 SBF to your phone, or mFastboot to manually flash ALL parts, one at a time, to your phone. Write protection will become re-enabled once 4.4.2 is on your phone.

Keep in mind, once on 4.4.2 there is no way to root or disable write protection unless you unlock your bootloader.
Thanks, I kinda new but wanted to be 100% since I oculdn't find the thread I read it in soo long ago.

also, no ones been able to answer this maybe you can. Does MotoWpNoMo perform it's hackery in the bootloader? I assumed yes since that's the only change between 4.2.2/4.4 and 4.4.2 when flashing. I'm really curious also if you have any links to a more in depth answer to this I would love to read it!!
N5 EHNDROIX V 14.8.8
Skyrocket and Vibrant R.I.P. Gone but not forgotten! MOTO X Goodbye. Galaxy S III GOOD RIDDEN!!!

KidJoe
Old
Thanks Meter 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by drago10029 View Post
Thanks, I kinda new but wanted to be 100% since I oculdn't find the thread I read it in soo long ago.

also, no ones been able to answer this maybe you can. Does MotoWpNoMo perform it's hackery in the bootloader? I assumed yes since that's the only change between 4.2.2/4.4 and 4.4.2 when flashing. I'm really curious also if you have any links to a more in depth answer to this I would love to read it!!
I don't know for sure. I can only suspect. Beaups or JCase might be able to tell you, since they worked on the tool...
aka Mark_Venture

My Moto X tips and info

Currently using Verizon Moto X Developer Edition on my personal line.. But I have too many devices to choose from for work and personal... For the full list click -> HERE <-

drago10029
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidJoe View Post
I don't know for sure. I can only suspect. Beaups or JCase might be able to tell you, since they worked on the tool...
I think i asked in one of their threads but got no response. thanks though.
N5 EHNDROIX V 14.8.8