[Q] New MotoX just arrived - noob rooting question

OP motoxuser

7th January 2014, 04:38 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

14 posts
Hello,

Thanks in advance - I have read all the relevant guides and resources (slap/rock/pwnmymoto). Just got a new MotoX in the mail, 4.4, it's great.

I have an unlimited data Verizon plan - bought the non-contract phone (non-Dev) to keep it. I use tethering on my current device (rooted galaxy nexus) like crazy. My biggest goal is to get tethering on the new phone, which I guess means it has to be rooted.

I've been generally comfortable rooting with my previous devices, never really had a problem - but was able to use dedicated apps from the community here to do it/undo it.

I'm really not comfortable with adb (any good threads explain where/how to get this? something to do with the SDK, right?) I also have a mac, making some of these programs hard to use.

I guess my question is this - is there a simple way to get tethering on my device without rooting it?

Side question - if I manage to figure out how to root the phone (which seems really out of my league), would I be stuck on the stock 4.4? It seems unlocking the bootloader is really difficult if not totally out of the question (without an unlock code from Motorola), meaning no custom roms. Rooted 4.4 would not accept OTA updates, right? So in 6 months if a new Android version comes out, I'd be stuck on 4.4, right?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread