5,600,053 Members 42,528 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Native tether connects, but no data

Tip us?

icrf
Old
(Last edited by icrf; 16th January 2014 at 09:10 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Native tether connects, but no data

I'm having connectivity issues with the wifi hot spot. I have a Moto X Developer Edition on Verizon with a grandfathered unlimited plan. I unlocked the bootloader and rooted. I ran the commands in this thread to load a new entitlement check apk, and everything looks like it's working. "Checking subscription status..." pops up briefly on load and then goes away. An access point is created and I can successfully connect to it with another device (Nexus 7). So far, everything looks exactly as it should.

The problem is there is no data. I can access data from the phone itself just fine, so I have a cellular data connection. If I disconnect the Nexus 7 and connect to the local wifi network, it gets data just fine, so the device itself is fine. When I try to hit any web page while connected to the Moto X's hotspot, I get the standard "This web page is not available." Trying to ping something from a terminal loses all packets.

It's acting as if the networks aren't bridged/routed properly on the phone. How do I go about troubleshooting this? Are there log files somewhere I can look at?

edit: I should also note that android-wifi-tether, which I used on my rooted HTC Thunderbolt previously, acts like it works fine, but there is no wifi access point broadcast/visible. I have no idea if the problems are related.

thatdude02
Old
Thanks Meter 49
I have had a similar problem on my unrooted Moto X. Could use the tether and connect however no data could be transmitted and no web pages could be loaded.

To solve it all I did was go to settings and retype in my APN. I am on Koodo mobile with an unlocked Rogers Moto X so this solution might not work with you but it's just something I thought I could suggest. Hopefully this works! Best of luck.

Sent from my XT1058 using xda app-developers app
Moto X!

Ok Google now

icrf
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Unfortunately, it doesn't do anything for me. Did you have data on the phone directly before that? I thought the APN would affect all data, not just tethering.

KidJoe
Old
Thanks Meter 364
On my VZW X Dev Ed, I have been successful using used the wifi_tether_v3_4-experimental1.apk from https://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/

change device profile to galaxy nexus (cdma/lte)
check box: wifi-driver reload
check box: enabled routing fix

and it works fine. Sometimes its a little slower (like 20-30 seconds) to hit "start" until my laptop or ipad will see the hot spot, but it always works.

icrf
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidJoe View Post
On my VZW X Dev Ed, I have been successful using used the wifi_tether_v3_4-experimental1.apk from https://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/

change device profile to galaxy nexus (cdma/lte)
check box: wifi-driver reload
check box: enabled routing fix

and it works fine. Sometimes its a little slower (like 20-30 seconds) to hit "start" until my laptop or ipad will see the hot spot, but it always works.
Strange. I had tried that version of that app before, following some youtube video, same settings as you listed, but setting the device profile to generic ICS/JB (wlan0) and I could never see an access point created. Now when I go back and do it, the access point pops up fine. I can connect and get data.

It's a little quirky/buggy in that the AP name is always "wlan0" and changing the SSID doesn't change that. Also, I enabled encryption in the settings, but the connection remains open and unencrypted. That may just be part of the beta nature of the version of the apk. I used the non-beta release version in the Play Store on my HTC Thunderbolt and all that worked fine.

So it's functional if not ideal. I'll keep poking at it and will see if I can make sense out of the behavior I'm seeing. I'll post back if I learn anything.

KidJoe
Old
Thanks Meter 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by icrf View Post
Strange. I had tried that version of that app before, following some youtube video, same settings as you listed, but setting the device profile to generic ICS/JB (wlan0) and I could never see an access point created. Now when I go back and do it, the access point pops up fine. I can connect and get data.

It's a little quirky/buggy in that the AP name is always "wlan0" and changing the SSID doesn't change that. Also, I enabled encryption in the settings, but the connection remains open and unencrypted. That may just be part of the beta nature of the version of the apk. I used the non-beta release version in the Play Store on my HTC Thunderbolt and all that worked fine.

So it's functional if not ideal. I'll keep poking at it and will see if I can make sense out of the behavior I'm seeing. I'll post back if I learn anything.
The version apk and settings I listed allow me to change the ssid and use encryption. In fact using that got it working on my X like it did on my thunderbolt.

icrf
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidJoe View Post
The version apk and settings I listed allow me to change the ssid and use encryption. In fact using that got it working on my X like it did on my thunderbolt.
Something didn't turn off properly. Attached is the battery graph while it was plugged into my computer (an admittedly low current charging source). I saw my phone reboot just before I had to leave, cursed it for being too early for random reboots (the TB did a lot of that). Turns out tethering draws significantly more than 500 mA, killed the phone, which turned off, then recharged to 3% and rebooted, and that's what I saw.

Whatever that application does doesn't get logged by the Android battery monitor, as it was definitely the primary drain, but doesn't show up in battery settings. I don't think it did on my TB, either. It also didn't log data usage on the TB (haven't used enough on the X to tell yet). Seems like that application lives in a pocket outside what Android itself is set up to log. Is that a factor of most root applications?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tether-battery.png
Views:	12
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	2530029  

KidJoe
Old
(Last edited by KidJoe; 21st January 2014 at 03:23 PM.)
Thanks Meter 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by icrf View Post
Something didn't turn off properly. Attached is the battery graph while it was plugged into my computer (an admittedly low current charging source). I saw my phone reboot just before I had to leave, cursed it for being too early for random reboots (the TB did a lot of that). Turns out tethering draws significantly more than 500 mA, killed the phone, which turned off, then recharged to 3% and rebooted, and that's what I saw.

Whatever that application does doesn't get logged by the Android battery monitor, as it was definitely the primary drain, but doesn't show up in battery settings. I don't think it did on my TB, either. It also didn't log data usage on the TB (haven't used enough on the X to tell yet). Seems like that application lives in a pocket outside what Android itself is set up to log. Is that a factor of most root applications?
I don't see that problem. When I use it, I just get regular draw as if I'm viewing a movie on my phone via Netflix. Stopping and exiting the wifi tether app does seem to exit it and end battery draw.

I'm using stock 4.4 on my VZW Dev X. I rooted via unlocking the booloader, installing TWRP, booting to TWRP and installing/flashing SuperSU.

Other option is grab the APK in this thread -> http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2449534&page=2 and use it. And actually, that thread has you also check wifi-driver reload 2.