XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] network confusion

Tip us?

ghstudio
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default [Q] network confusion

I just purchased a 32gb verizon moto x developer edition and it's running wonderfully with my verizon account...unlocked, etc and with the Motorola warranty intact because it's a developer edition..

However, I am thinking of changing to Net10 or perhaps move to att or tmobile so I can use international GSM connections as I travel....or just buy a GSM SIM in Europe/Asia. In the old world (pre LTE), a phone was either CDMA or GSM....and one would not work on the other network. Is that still true, or does my Moto x have the capability of running on either GSM or CDMA depending on the SIM that's installed?

nhizzat
Old
(Last edited by nhizzat; 30th December 2013 at 03:28 AM.)
Thanks Meter 62
http://www.motorola.com/us/shop-all-...n-verizon.html

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/d...rtphone/moto-x

Smoke1991
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghstudio View Post
I just purchased a 32gb verizon moto x developer edition and it's running wonderfully with my verizon account...unlocked, etc and with the Motorola warranty intact because it's a developer edition..

However, I am thinking of changing to Net10 or perhaps move to att or tmobile so I can use international GSM connections as I travel....or just buy a GSM SIM in Europe/Asia. In the old world (pre LTE), a phone was either CDMA or GSM....and one would not work on the other network. Is that still true, or does my Moto x have the capability of running on either GSM or CDMA depending on the SIM that's installed?
after unlocking the bootloader i thought the warranty is void (including the motorola extended warranty)??

ghstudio
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke1991 View Post
after unlocking the bootloader i thought the warranty is void (including the motorola extended warranty)??
True, except if you buy the developer edition....

ghstudio
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:

In answer to my own question...the verizon moto-x phone has the following specs

Networks
GSM/GPRS/EDGE - UMTS/HSPA + up to 42 Mbps - CDMA/EVDO Rev. A - 4G LTE
2G/2.5G GSM/GPRS/EDGE bands
850/900/1800/1900 MHz

3G UMTS bands
850/900/1900/2100 MHz with HSPA+ up to 42 Mbps (B5/B8/B2/B1)

3G CDMA bands
EVDO Rev. A: 850/1900 MHz (BC0/BC1
)
4G LTE bands
750 MHz (B13)

I suspect it's not as simple as just replacing the Simm....or is it?

Smoke1991
Old
(Last edited by Smoke1991; 30th December 2013 at 04:48 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
True, except if you buy the developer edition....
Moto wont let me buy the extended warranty for the phone they said if i want insurance i need to go through verizon... sigh...

sorry for going off topic. in terms of the bands, as long as any of the providers your looking for runs on the same bands the phone supports you should be good to go.