Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,176 Members 51,469 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Network settings won't work on T-mobile Roaming

Tip us?

foxfire235
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27
Default [Q] Network settings won't work on T-mobile Roaming

My brand new Moto X will not work while roaming on t-mobile. This is a bummer because I'm in Alaska and roam on GCI. The problem lies in the network settings. I can't change the "preferred network type" to "3g" like I can on the N5. My only choices are "automatic" and "2g". Can anyone think of a way around this?

Steve-x
Old
Thanks Meter 171
You can grab an app called "LTE Setting" from the play store, it will allow you to select "WCDMA only" - which is HSPA/3G.

foxfire235
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-x View Post
You can grab an app called "LTE Setting" from the play store, it will allow you to select "WCDMA only" - which is HSPA/3G.
Cool! I will try this and report back.

scottjb
Old
Thanks Meter 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfire235 View Post
...This is a bummer because I'm in Alaska and roam on GCI. The problem lies in the network settings. I can't change the "preferred network type" to "3g" like I can on the N5. My only choices are "automatic" and "2g"...
Are you sure that's the problem? T-Mobile's Moto X considers HSPA to be 4G. When my T-Mo Moto X switches to HSPA, The 4G icon stays, but the LTE icon goes away. It could be GCI does not use the band(s) the T-Mo phone is equipped to use.

foxfire235
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjb View Post
Are you sure that's the problem? T-Mobile's Moto X considers HSPA to be 4G. When my T-Mo Moto X switches to HSPA, The 4G icon stays, but the LTE icon goes away. It could be GCI does not use the band(s) the T-Mo phone is equipped to use.
Yep, that's definitely the problem. 3g works great on my iphone, and Nexus 5 but you MUST turn off LTE / 4g in order for it to work. Since the Moto X doesn't have that ability in the software it wasn't working. Seems like the LTE settings app is working well so far.
Tags
alaska, apn, network, roaming, t-mobile