Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,865 Members 50,299 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Is it normal for WiFi to be taking this much power?

Tip us?
 
xprnv
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Mar 2013
Default Is it normal for WiFi to be taking this much power?

Comparing to my other phone the percentage of battery usage my WiFi seems pretty high. WiFi optimisation is on and the phone is almost always connected to WiFi

Sent from my XT1052 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1395747702955.jpg
Views:	653
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	2649154  
 
dray_jr
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 210
Posts: 540
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Fort Myers,FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by xprnv View Post
Comparing to my other phone the percentage of battery usage my WiFi seems pretty high. WiFi optimisation is on and the phone is almost always connected to WiFi

Sent from my XT1052 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
it depends i will have to look at my phone when my wife gets home with it.

but if you leave WiFi on all the time even when you leave your routers distance and WiFi is trying to find a wireless network a lot then yes i would expect it to be high because it is contently searching for a network. but if you turn it off when you leave your WiFi network then it maybe kinda high.
Sprint Moto X TWRP 4.4 Self Detoxed
Profiles:Twitter
Guides:MotoX Guides |
 
xprnv
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by dray_jr View Post
it depends i will have to look at my phone when my wife gets home with it.

but if you leave WiFi on all the time even when you leave your routers distance and WiFi is trying to find a wireless network a lot then yes i would expect it to be high because it is contently searching for a network. but if you turn it off when you leave your WiFi network then it maybe kinda high.
The screenshot is from today, it has been on constant home WiFi the whole day. Right now when I checked again 22% of battery is left with WiFi usage accumulating to the same 16%.

On my mom's moto g the WiFi usage is always around 5%. Around the same usage.



Sent from my XT1052 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
 
KJ
Old
#4  
KJ's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,316
Posts: 7,999
Join Date: May 2011
Location: The boonies - southwest Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by xprnv View Post
The screenshot is from today, it has been on constant home WiFi the whole day. Right now when I checked again 22% of battery is left with WiFi usage accumulating to the same 16%.

On my mom's moto g the WiFi usage is always around 5%. Around the same usage.



Sent from my XT1052 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Not that it seems too bad to me, but some routers cause issues...also some network setups.

Something to do with the router or network polling your phone way too much.

You'd have to research this possibility tho.....that's all I know about it.

Do you have many wakelocks? Is the phone deep sleeping like a baby?

Sent from my N5, N7, Moto X, G Tab 3 or S2.....
Sent from my new HTC One M8, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life on the N5...or any device really? Lots of info in first 4 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips

 
xprnv
Old
#5  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj2112 View Post
Not that it seems too bad to me, but some routers cause issues...also some network setups.

Something to do with the router or network polling your phone way too much.

You'd have to research this possibility tho.....that's all I know about it.

Do you have many wakelocks? Is the phone deep sleeping like a baby?

Sent from my N5, N7, Moto X, G Tab 3 or S2.....
I think now this had more to do with battery calibration.
My phone has been on for 13 hours today with WiFi using around 12pc with probably an hour searching for an open network ( the phone is almost always connected with WiFi ). So I guess the 12% is fair enough.
I think the network I have been on is set up fine because other android phones don't have the same problem on it
The phone is new so probably its just adjusting.

Sent from my XT1052 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes