XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] notification and ringtone go mute

Tip us?

DrDecoy
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Question [Q] notification and ringtone go mute

for a couple of times, my custom notification and phone ringtone would be changed to a very low volume beep that is almost undetectable. i'm sure i haven't done any changes to the settings. because of this i have missed a couple of phone calls and messages.

anyone knows what caused this, and how to fix it? is it some kind of software defect, or is it just me being dumb?

Old
Thanks Meter 102
media (general audio), notifications, and alarms are controlled separately either as they happen or through the settings menu. check to make sure your "Ringtones and Notifications" volume slider is at the appropriate level. also try making sure you have vibrate enabled for each type of notification (in case the volume gets turned down again).

ghstudio
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDecoy View Post
for a couple of times, my custom notification and phone ringtone would be changed to a very low volume beep that is almost undetectable. i'm sure i haven't done any changes to the settings. because of this i have missed a couple of phone calls and messages.

anyone knows what caused this, and how to fix it? is it some kind of software defect, or is it just me being dumb?
This has happened to me a few times....not sure why but it is unnerving because I miss calls. I now check it reasonably often.

someguyatx
Old
Thanks Meter 345
Sometimes I raise or lower my volume after starting an audio or video app and it happens to the ringtone instead. I find the audio or video app must be fully started to adjust volume not just launched.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Old
Thanks Meter 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by someguyatx View Post
Sometimes I raise or lower my volume after starting an audio or video app and it happens to the ringtone instead. I find the audio or video app must be fully started to adjust volume not just launched.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
one of the features missing in phone devices vs. tablets is the settings button on the volume bar that pops up when you change volume. on tablets, you can press that button and also change the notifications volume (independently). google should have provided this at the phone level too.

on older android versions, you could specifically check, "master volume adjusts notification volume" (or something to that effect). it seems to be missing now.