Streamline Android Theme Customization with Graphic Porter

I dont have a custom theme on my Android phone, and the reason for this is because … more

Boost the Brightness of Your Sony Xperia Z1’s LED

I think the last time anyone has ever used a physical torch to find their earphones, … more

XDA Xposed Tuesday: Modify the Look of Your Volume Control – XDA TV

How many screenshots have you seen with a volume status bar in the … more

Prepare Your Nokia X2 for Battle with Nokia X2 Tools

Unveiled in June this year, the Nokia X2 is the Finnish companys second crack at an … more
Post Reply

[Q] new OTA update bricked my phone

12th February 2014, 05:44 PM   |  #11  
edthesped's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 22
 
305 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Redneck

But the update clearly and concisely says, YOU CANNOT roll back to a previous firmware after applying said update.

Onus is on the user at that point.

Does it? I never saw that going to 4.4. As long as they put a new sbf up all should be fine.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 06:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor_evil

I have version 30.B2 according to the fastboot.

and I had originally flashed my phone with TWRP custom recovery and had rooted my phone. I used rsdlite to flash back to the current stock version then when after setting up wireless,etc. on my phone I checked for the OTA and it said that there was a new version that fixed battery issues,etc. so I downloaded it, then restarted. after it finished flashing and rebooted again is when the flashing android red triangle error message started happening. I tried to flash back to the previous stock version, and even tried re-flashing twrp custom recovery so I could go in and do a factory wipe and clear dalvik and cache, and data but nothing worked.

Did you call Motorola?

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
12th February 2014, 05:56 PM   |  #12  
OP Member
Flag Gainesville GA
Thanks Meter: 13
 
64 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor_evil

I have version 30.B2 according to the fastboot.

and I had originally flashed my phone with TWRP custom recovery and had rooted my phone. I used rsdlite to flash back to the current stock version then when after setting up wireless,etc. on my phone I checked for the OTA and it said that there was a new version that fixed battery issues,etc. so I downloaded it, then restarted. after it finished flashing and rebooted again is when the flashing android red triangle error message started happening. I tried to flash back to the previous stock version, and even tried re-flashing twrp custom recovery so I could go in and do a factory wipe and clear dalvik and cache, and data but nothing worked.

UPDATE:

I tried again to select the factory option in fastboot and unlike the previous times I had tried, this time seems to have fixed it. It booted up into Android OS. I think I'll try the OTA once again and see if this time is more successful, as if it screws up again I have a repair rma number and a fedex shipping label, but hopefully it does better this time.
12th February 2014, 06:13 PM   |  #13  
OP Member
Flag Gainesville GA
Thanks Meter: 13
 
64 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor_evil

UPDATE:

I tried again to select the factory option in fastboot and unlike the previous times I had tried, this time seems to have fixed it. It booted up into Android OS. I think I'll try the OTA once again and see if this time is more successful, as if it screws up again I have a repair rma number and a fedex shipping label, but hopefully it does better this time.

ok OTA successful this time.

does anyone know if it's possible to boot the moto-x off a custom recovery using fastboot like we could for the galaxy nexus? I'd like to get root reinstalled but I don't want to mess with the current recovery, which should help I would think in regards to being able to install OTA updates without major issues.
12th February 2014, 07:04 PM   |  #14  
Member
Houston, TX
Thanks Meter: 9
 
52 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2006
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor_evil

I have version 30.B2 according to the fastboot.

and I had originally flashed my phone with TWRP custom recovery and had rooted my phone. I used rsdlite to flash back to the current stock version then when after setting up wireless,etc. on my phone I checked for the OTA and it said that there was a new version that fixed battery issues,etc. so I downloaded it, then restarted. after it finished flashing and rebooted again is when the flashing android red triangle error message started happening. I tried to flash back to the previous stock version, and even tried re-flashing twrp custom recovery so I could go in and do a factory wipe and clear dalvik and cache, and data but nothing worked.

Maybe try this out.. option 2 http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2446515
13th February 2014, 03:57 PM   |  #15  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 78
 
469 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor_evil

ok OTA successful this time.

does anyone know if it's possible to boot the moto-x off a custom recovery using fastboot like we could for the galaxy nexus? I'd like to get root reinstalled but I don't want to mess with the current recovery, which should help I would think in regards to being able to install OTA updates without major issues.

Unfortunately, I don't believe it's possible to fastboot boot recovery. It's how I did everything with my Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7. I was disappointed to find out it isn't possible with the Moto X Dev edition even though I didn't buy one.
13th February 2014, 07:06 PM   |  #16  
OP Member
Flag Gainesville GA
Thanks Meter: 13
 
64 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhizzat

Unfortunately, I don't believe it's possible to fastboot boot recovery. It's how I did everything with my Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7. I was disappointed to find out it isn't possible with the Moto X Dev edition even though I didn't buy one.

has anyone tried it with the google play edition of the moto-g? I'm wondering if there is a way to convert from a regular retail rom over to a GPE rom for the moto-x after google starts selling it. I remember reading about them going to sell a GPE of it. Hopefully the GPE rom would be friendlier than the retail rom
13th February 2014, 09:35 PM   |  #17  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 96
 
531 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor_evil

I am seeing the android laying on it's side with a red triangle with an exclamation point, this keeps blinking on and off. I've tried using rsdlite as well as the flash back to stock options in the moto-x toolkit and nothing is working. I've also cleared the cache and userdata folders but nothing has worked.

Is there a way to fix this or will I need to send my phone back to motorola for a repair?

I know you have fixed this now, but if you see the android with the red triangle and ! use the key combination pwr & up vol. That gets you into stock recovery and from there you should be able to boot up.

The Following User Says Thank You to Groid For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
moto-x, xt1053
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Moto X Q&A by ThreadRank