Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,170 Members 43,342 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] new OTA update bricked my phone

Tip us?

edthesped
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Redneck View Post
But the update clearly and concisely says, YOU CANNOT roll back to a previous firmware after applying said update.

Onus is on the user at that point.
Does it? I never saw that going to 4.4. As long as they put a new sbf up all should be fine.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 06:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor_evil View Post
I have version 30.B2 according to the fastboot.

and I had originally flashed my phone with TWRP custom recovery and had rooted my phone. I used rsdlite to flash back to the current stock version then when after setting up wireless,etc. on my phone I checked for the OTA and it said that there was a new version that fixed battery issues,etc. so I downloaded it, then restarted. after it finished flashing and rebooted again is when the flashing android red triangle error message started happening. I tried to flash back to the previous stock version, and even tried re-flashing twrp custom recovery so I could go in and do a factory wipe and clear dalvik and cache, and data but nothing worked.
Did you call Motorola?

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

doctor_evil
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:

and I had originally flashed my phone with TWRP custom recovery and had rooted my phone. I used rsdlite to flash back to the current stock version then when after setting up wireless,etc. on my phone I checked for the OTA and it said that there was a new version that fixed battery issues,etc. so I downloaded it, then restarted. after it finished flashing and rebooted again is when the flashing android red triangle error message started happening. I tried to flash back to the previous stock version, and even tried re-flashing twrp custom recovery so I could go in and do a factory wipe and clear dalvik and cache, and data but nothing worked.
UPDATE:

I tried again to select the factory option in fastboot and unlike the previous times I had tried, this time seems to have fixed it. It booted up into Android OS. I think I'll try the OTA once again and see if this time is more successful, as if it screws up again I have a repair rma number and a fedex shipping label, but hopefully it does better this time.
currently using a GSM Developer Edition Motorola Moto-X with the stock rom for my daily driver
other phones:, Samsung Galaxy Discover SGH-730M & SGH-730G
Roms: Custom Rom for SGH-730M (or G)

doctor_evil
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
UPDATE:

I tried again to select the factory option in fastboot and unlike the previous times I had tried, this time seems to have fixed it. It booted up into Android OS. I think I'll try the OTA once again and see if this time is more successful, as if it screws up again I have a repair rma number and a fedex shipping label, but hopefully it does better this time.
ok OTA successful this time.

does anyone know if it's possible to boot the moto-x off a custom recovery using fastboot like we could for the galaxy nexus? I'd like to get root reinstalled but I don't want to mess with the current recovery, which should help I would think in regards to being able to install OTA updates without major issues.
currently using a GSM Developer Edition Motorola Moto-X with the stock rom for my daily driver

ken1645
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:

Maybe try this out.. option 2 http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2446515
http://hightechdealz.com
Nexus 5 Purity ROM / ElementX Kernel
Moto X root stock 4.4.2 faux123 Kernel

nhizzat
Old
Thanks Meter 66
Quote:
ok OTA successful this time.

does anyone know if it's possible to boot the moto-x off a custom recovery using fastboot like we could for the galaxy nexus? I'd like to get root reinstalled but I don't want to mess with the current recovery, which should help I would think in regards to being able to install OTA updates without major issues.
Unfortunately, I don't believe it's possible to fastboot boot recovery. It's how I did everything with my Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7. I was disappointed to find out it isn't possible with the Moto X Dev edition even though I didn't buy one.

doctor_evil
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhizzat View Post
Unfortunately, I don't believe it's possible to fastboot boot recovery. It's how I did everything with my Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7. I was disappointed to find out it isn't possible with the Moto X Dev edition even though I didn't buy one.
has anyone tried it with the google play edition of the moto-g? I'm wondering if there is a way to convert from a regular retail rom over to a GPE rom for the moto-x after google starts selling it. I remember reading about them going to sell a GPE of it. Hopefully the GPE rom would be friendlier than the retail rom

Groid
Old
Thanks Meter 95
Quote:
I am seeing the android laying on it's side with a red triangle with an exclamation point, this keeps blinking on and off. I've tried using rsdlite as well as the flash back to stock options in the moto-x toolkit and nothing is working. I've also cleared the cache and userdata folders but nothing has worked.

Is there a way to fix this or will I need to send my phone back to motorola for a repair?
I know you have fixed this now, but if you see the android with the red triangle and ! use the key combination pwr & up vol. That gets you into stock recovery and from there you should be able to boot up.

The Following User Says Thank You to Groid For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
moto-x, xt1053