Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,495 Members 37,814 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Can't get past bootloader and can't transfer new files

Tip us?

emailrob
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Default [Q] Can't get past bootloader and can't transfer new files

X1053, rooted and unlocked bootloader on T Mob US

Tried to install a new kernel but it failed. Wiped cached (factory reset in twrp) and now it won't boot past the animation logo.

As its not booted into the OS, windows won't recognize it as a device so i can't install a new rom to try again. Windows 8 'bings' when I connect it but it won't load as a drive.

I CAN get into AP Fashboot Flash Mode If I then go to Recovery, it still takes me to twrp. But there are not zip files to install that work and I can't work out how to copy them over without windows recognizing the device?

Thanks in advance

KJ
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,561
You'll maybe need to flash the same stock firmware version you're on now...4.4 or 4.4.2 or whatever version you were on. Then root again.

This will help you...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2603358

Good luck!
Sent from my new HTC One M8, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life? Any device welcome, even tho its an N5 thread. Please specify if on a device other than N5. Lots of info in first 4 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips

emailrob
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj2112 View Post
You'll maybe need to flash the same stock firmware version you're on now...4.4 or 4.4.2 or whatever version you were on. Then root again.

This will help you...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2603358

Good luck!
Thanks for the reply. the problem is I can't connect to the phone to transfer a new firmware on. It 'bings' on USB plug but won't open as a USB drive. I can't get the phone to boot, can only get it to recovery. i tried reinstalling the motorola drivers again but still no luck.

When it was running Ok, I could plug it in (when it used to load into the android OS OK) and it would appear as a USB drive in Windows 8. I also tried on a different laptop.

Cyphir
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by emailrob View Post
Thanks for the reply. the problem is I can't connect to the phone to transfer a new firmware on. It 'bings' on USB plug but won't open as a USB drive. I can't get the phone to boot, can only get it to recovery. i tried reinstalling the motorola drivers again but still no luck.

When it was running Ok, I could plug it in (when it used to load into the android OS OK) and it would appear as a USB drive in Windows 8. I also tried on a different laptop.
When you boot into bootloader, does the phone itself recognize that it is connected via USB? If so, you have to obtain the current SBF of your phone and flash over the files via fastboot.exe and mfastboot.exe.

There are plenty of guides throughout this site. Take your time and read everything before you make your first move.
Use my Republic Wireless referal code and get $20 off your bill: http://rwshar.es/Pi7S

emailrob
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyphir View Post
When you boot into bootloader, does the phone itself recognize that it is connected via USB? If so, you have to obtain the current SBF of your phone and flash over the files via fastboot.exe and mfastboot.exe.

There are plenty of guides throughout this site. Take your time and read everything before you make your first move.
OK panic nearly over! I managed to get it flashed using RDS lite. 4.4 is back on now, although I lost my root Not sure I want to go down the whole downgrade to 4.2.2 etc but I'll see. Thanks again

emailrob
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Just adding a reply in case anyone has a similar issue.

RSDLite managed to get the firmware back on. It lost root, but what actually happened is the recovery got deleted / corrupted.

So i went back through the rooting guide which started by adding twrp and then flashing. Rebooted, and SuperSU tells me all is OK and root is there.

nhizzat
Old
Thanks Meter 76
Is your phone recognized by fastboot or adb?

Since your bootloader is unlocked, manually flash the 4.4.2 firmware files, then TWRP, then boot into recovery, use adb to push SuperSU or whichever root program you prefer to /sdcard, then use TWRP to flash it.

emailrob
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhizzat View Post
Is your phone recognized by fastboot or adb?

Since your bootloader is unlocked, manually flash the 4.4.2 firmware files, then TWRP, then boot into recovery, use adb to push SuperSU or whichever root program you prefer to /sdcard, then use TWRP to flash it.
Its all working OK now thanks. I just flashed 4.4 again and re-installed TWRP.