Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,680 Members 45,874 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Why do people need write protection disabled when they boot into system?

Tip us?

Cozume
Old
Account currently disabled - OP
Thanks Meter 84
Default Why do people need write protection disabled when they boot into system?

From all I am reading, Android disables write protection when you boot into recovery and any changes that you make in recovery stick when you boot into system. And if you have root access, you can make changes to system in recovery.

So what advantages are there to having write protection disabled when you boot into system? Why can't you make any changes you want while in recovery? Isn't that safer anyhow? Do some apps need write protection disabled to run?

_Boondock_
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozume View Post
From all I am reading, Android disables write protection when you boot into recovery and any changes that you make in recovery stick when you boot into system. And if you have root access, you can make changes to system in recovery.

So what advantages are there to having write protection disabled when you boot into system? Why can't you make any changes you want while in recovery? Isn't that safer anyhow? Do some apps need write protection disabled to run?
I don't have a technical response or even very good response, but I do have an example of why you need access to the write protection.

I use AdAway to block advertising on my phone. (The ethics of doing this are up for debate, but lets leave that to another venue)
AdAway needs root access and the ability to modify the hosts file on the phone, which is a system protected file (for good reason). If write protection is on, then AdAway fails to modify the phone's hosts file and the ad blocking does not take place. With write protection off, AdAway is successful an my browser screen is far less cluttered when surfing.
I set the app to notify me when updates are available, but not to automatically apply the updates. Then I manually reboot to recovery and update my hosts file via AdAway. After I get the successful update I reboot normally and use my phone in the regular non-recovery mode.

Cozume
Old
Thanks Meter 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Boondock_ View Post
I use AdAway to block advertising on my phone. (The ethics of doing this are up for debate, but lets leave that to another venue)
AdAway needs root access and the ability to modify the hosts file on the phone, which is a system protected file (for good reason). If write protection is on, then AdAway fails to modify the phone's hosts file and the ad blocking does not take place. With write protection off, AdAway is successful an my browser screen is far less cluttered when surfing.

I set the app to notify me when updates are available, but not to automatically apply the updates. Then I manually reboot to recovery and update my hosts file via AdAway. After I get the successful update I reboot normally and use my phone in the regular non-recovery mode.
Ok, but that is my point - you can do it in recovery and in fact it is safer to do it in recovery. Stock android disables write protection when you boot into recovery.

c19932
Old
Thanks Meter 104
So we don't have to boot into recovery everytime we modify system.

Sent from my XT1053 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Cozume
Old
Thanks Meter 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by c19932 View Post
So we don't have to boot into recovery everytime we modify system.
Right, for convenience sake. But what I am asking is it ever necessary to have write protection disabled when you boot into system? Meaning, is there anything that you would need it for that booting into recovery to make the changes wouldn't work?

cartmenicus
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1970

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozume View Post
Right, for convenience sake. But what I am asking is it ever necessary to have write protection disabled when you boot into system? Meaning, is there anything that you would need it for that booting into recovery to make the changes wouldn't work?
You can't make changes to the system part I on with out write protection being disabled. Jcases method is a hacked recovery that when selected from fastboot boots you into a disabled system and you make your changes then reboot normally.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
Device: Nexus 7,nexus 5
Rom: N7: AOSPA, faux kernel. Nexus 5:AOSPA, ElementalX

nhizzat
Old
Thanks Meter 72
The only time I need write protection off is if/when I'm making changes to /system or make changes to or add an Xposed module.