Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,161 Members 52,119 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Phone Powering off When Plugging into Car Charger

Tip us?

DanRyb
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Default [Q] Phone Powering off When Plugging into Car Charger

I have a strange thing happening with my Moto X. Sometimes (not ALL the time, but more often than not) when I plug my Moto X into my car charger, the phone shuts off (not reboots, but powers down). I have to then power it back up of course, but from that point on it's fine plugged in for the rest of the time in the car. Doesn't happen again until the next time I get in the car and plug it in for power.

Is there any log file somewhere that I can look at to see what's prompting it to power off? Initially I thought it was the car charger/cable itself, so I bought a new one on New Years but even with the new one it is still happening. So it's either the actual car port itself, or a problem with the phone?

I did have a Nexus 5 before this Moto X and it never powered off on me so I'm not convinced it's the phone. I did notice occasionally the Nexus 5 would stop charging though. I'd have to unplug it and plug it back in but the N5 never powered down on me.

And also, when I plug into USB to charge via wall wart charging or PC charging, the phone never powers down. It's strictly in the car.

Thanks for any help!

someguyatx
Old
(Last edited by someguyatx; 8th January 2014 at 11:56 PM.)
Thanks Meter 347
Did you only replace the cable or the entire charger? If only cable possibly bad car charger?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk