XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Do You like your phone?

Tip us?

jessicahll
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Default [Q] Do You like your phone?

I am contemplating using my upgrade for this phone. I am coming from a Galaxy S3 on VZW. MOST of the reviews I've read on VZW or Amazon have been pretty good.

How's battery life? Is it difficult to root (for backup purposes)? It looks to be a fairly vanilla Android; is it? Is 16 GB enough for you, should I look for a 32 GB?
December 2012: Samsung Galaxy S3 (rooted/CleanROM 7.0 w/ Morphology Mod)
September 2011: HTC Droid Incredible 2 (rooted/stock)
November 2010: HTC Droid Incredible (sold)

November 2012: Nexus 7 (rooted/stock)
August 2011: Nook Color (sold)

Solutions Etcetera
Old
Thanks Meter 152
Game changers for me...
Radios: I live in a fringe area and always had dead spots around home and in town with my Nexus 4. Not anymore!

Trusted Bluetooth/Skip: Now have the best of both worlds... keeping my phone secure with a password, and not having to mess with it when I am home and in the car.

Speaker/Mics: Speakerphone is the best I have ever used in a smartphone. Folks I talk to over it don't even know I am on speaker... even in my truck. Plus I can actually listen to podcasts on speaker.

Camera: Love having to just shake it to open the camera app, and touch anywhere to snap. I find myself using the camera more and more.

Other things I like...
Active Notifications: Love them.

Touchless Control: Like in the commercial with the guy talking to the phone on the nightstand. It works that well. Still learning to use it more and more everyday.

Cons...
Display: Hard to see it in sunlight.

Camera: While the camera is capable of very good results, the always on auto white balance is often fooled (but it is simple to fix in post). Also miss Photosphere, and the ability to take smaller dimensioned photos and vids.

Can't comment on rooting... I have no need. And I have never needed more than 16GB on a phone (but I don't keep a lot music and vids on it). I have everything I need on it and still have over 8 GB free space.

Simply... it is the best smart phone I have ever had (Nexus, iPhone). It is the perfect size and feel, and just addresses some usability issues other phones don't... plus the actual "phone" part of it is stellar (where way too many smartphones are just barely acceptable).

nhizzat
Old
Thanks Meter 62
1. Battery life is better than the S3
2. I personally don't think it was difficult
3. It is mostly vanilla with some fantastic add-ons from Moto
4. 32gb

Swiftb12305
Old
Thanks Meter 54

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhizzat View Post
1. Battery life is better than the S3
2. I personally don't think it was difficult
3. It is mostly vanilla with some fantastic add-ons from Moto
4. 32gb
Agreed besides the storsge part is up to the OP and there needs, im coming from a Nexus 4 which i loved dearly but my moto x is great and i love how the added on features are useful.Feels great in the hand also better than than nexus 4 imo and S3

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
Current Device: : HTC One
Rom: STOCK 4.4

Past Devices:
Moto X- Sold
Nexus 4- Cracked Screen/Sold
Galaxy S3- Sold
Atrix HD- Sold
Droid Incredible- Sold

***Need Free Cloud Storage? 20GB:*** Click Here

jessicahll
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Thanks, guys! I appreciate the input. A lot of the posts are old and I was looking for some more recent opinions. How is the camera? The MP is higher, but I've been reading that the pics aren't that great. I take A LOT of photos with my phone.
December 2012: Samsung Galaxy S3 (rooted/CleanROM 7.0 w/ Morphology Mod)
September 2011: HTC Droid Incredible 2 (rooted/stock)
November 2010: HTC Droid Incredible (sold)

November 2012: Nexus 7 (rooted/stock)
August 2011: Nook Color (sold)

Solutions Etcetera
Old
Thanks Meter 152
If you know how to take good photos, the camera rarely disappoints, but is not very good at makingbad photos good (ala iPhone, Galaxy).

Compared to your S3, you'll see less saturation and less in-camera sharpening applied, and as previously stated, white balance can be off in tricky light. The look is decidedly Nikon, as opposed to iPhone and galaxy's Olympus look. As a Nikon fan, I see some advantages to the less aggressive exposure and post processing, but quick and dirty snapshots will more often than not, be more pleasing from an S3 or iPhone.

There is a photo thread here with plenty of examples of how good (and bad) it can be.

badguy6916
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I LOVE my X. I personally have the VZW dev edition and can't say a bad thing about the device. As mentioned, the camera might not have the post-processing of some phones, but that's not a deal breaker for me. The touchless controls make the phone though. soo much safer for hands free EVERYTHING.

RenSoAbrupt
Old
Thanks Meter 27
The X is smartphone done right. Everyone that checks mines out always comment on how nice and how much they like it. It honestly was worth the $400 no doubt about it. Worthy investment. Motorola regained me as a customer after not having a phone of theirs since Jr school.

Take mines and everyone's thoughts about it old or new. It does not disappoint.