Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,597 Members 51,940 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Pictures deleted after reboot

Tip us?

bmsimon
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Pictures deleted after reboot

So I had a weird problem. After doing a reboot, my phone deleted all my pictures from my camera roll. I ran Disk Digger to recover deleted photos, but all it recovered were pictures the pictures I had sent via MMS. And only the camera roll pictures were deleted--pictures from other albums like screenshots and downloads are still there. But the ones I actually want are apparently gone without a trace.

Any ideas for me?

nijom
Old
Thanks Meter 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmsimon View Post
So I had a weird problem. After doing a reboot, my phone deleted all my pictures from my camera roll. I ran Disk Digger to recover deleted photos, but all it recovered were pictures the pictures I had sent via MMS. And only the camera roll pictures were deleted--pictures from other albums like screenshots and downloads are still there. But the ones I actually want are apparently gone without a trace.

Any ideas for me?
weird man!!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2006 - 2009 : MOTO SLVR L7 (Dead)
2009 - 2011 : MOTO ROKR E6e (Dead)
2011 - 2014 : MOTO RAZR XT910 (Alive)
2012 - 2013 : Asus Nexus 7 (Alive)
2013 - 2014 : iBerry Auxus Nuclea N1 (Sold)
2014 : MOTO G XT1033 (Sold)
2014 : MOTO X XT1052 (Alive)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bmsimon
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
It is really weird. Any ideas on how to get them back?

samwathegreat
Old
Thanks Meter 1,598

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmsimon View Post
It is really weird. Any ideas on how to get them back?
Sorry to say, but if you have already tried to run a file recovery program and it didn't retrieve them, they are likely gone forever.

I can't shed any light on how or why this happened, but I do know a good bit about file recovery. If somehow the partition index was damaged, the filesystem would "believe" that those files no longer exist, and if the RAW data still exists on the flash memory, it can get "over-written" very quickly. This is my best GUESS on what happened to you...
Help us keep XDA fun and safe. Please read the RULES, and please respect your fellow members.

Looking for a new carrier? Check out Republic Wireless!
Plans starting at $10 for unlimited talk/text and $25 with unlimited data.
Use this link to save $20. RW is my carrier and I couldn't be happier with them.

I successfully CRACKED the SIM-LOCK on the Sprint XT1056 Moto X. Read about it HERE

Donate to me via BitCoin - 1samwaLJ7EdQFGME1dkUGPFZywUEKnXcT

KJ
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,530
If you try flashing your exact same firmware again...without erasing userdata with fastboot.... Sometimes it fixes issues and they will magically reappear. Sometimes.
Sent from my new HTC One M8, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life? Any device welcome, even tho its an N5 thread. Please specify if on a device other than N5. Lots of info in first 4 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips

pradip.108
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Use icare data recovery from pc or laptop

Sent from my GT-I8262 using XDA Free mobile app

samwathegreat
Old
Thanks Meter 1,598

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by pradip.108 View Post
Use icare data recovery from pc or laptop

"icare data recovery" does -exactly- the same thing as "Disk Digger" - which the OP has already used. He already advised that it only recovered some MMS pictures...

Likely, the data has already been subsequently overwritten, which make the files permanently irretrievable.

Anyone is welcome to try, but if one has already tried with diskdigger and the files weren't retrieved, I can guarantee that icare can't recover them either.
Help us keep XDA fun and safe. Please read the RULES, and please respect your fellow members.

Looking for a new carrier? Check out Republic Wireless!
Plans starting at $10 for unlimited talk/text and $25 with unlimited data.
Use this link to save $20. RW is my carrier and I couldn't be happier with them.

I successfully CRACKED the SIM-LOCK on the Sprint XT1056 Moto X. Read about it HERE

Donate to me via BitCoin - 1samwaLJ7EdQFGME1dkUGPFZywUEKnXcT

pradip.108
Old
Thanks Meter 8
But ty it.. icare data recovery software works for me

Restola
Old
Thanks Meter 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwathegreat View Post
"icare data recovery" does -exactly- the same thing as "Disk Digger" - which the OP has already used. He already advised that it only recovered some MMS pictures...

Likely, the data has already been subsequently overwritten, which make the files permanently irretrievable.

Anyone is welcome to try, but if one has already tried with diskdigger and the files weren't retrieved, I can guarantee that icare can't recover them either.
It's weird that virtually all of his pictures were instantly overwritten. I played with DiskDigger for fun a while ago and found pictures I had deleted months earlier.