Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,165 Members 44,083 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Do I need to have the correct recovery for the current version?

Tip us?

DssTrainer
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 33
Default [Q] Do I need to have the correct recovery for the current version?

I used MotoNoMoWp on my friend's phone and disabled write protection successfully.
Then I did the RockMyMoto method and got root.
Then I flashed the stock recovery I had on my PC which I think is from the latest Sprint image.
Then tried to take the OTA update.
It got about 20% in and rebooted saying the upgrade failed.

I did the same process with my phone and it worked fine. But I had updated to the 2nd to the latest update first, my friend was still before the first 4.2 camera patch update.

So do I need to flash the recovery from that older version before taking OTA or should any stock recovery flash work?

Q

KJ
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2802
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2603358

Sent from my N5 cell phone telephone....
Sent from my N5, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life on the N5...or any device really? Lots of info in first 3 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips

DssTrainer
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj2112 View Post
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2603358

Yea I've already seen that.. doesn't specifically answer my question.. But perhaps I should have used slapmymoto instead of rockmymoto and done the flash resets. I'll try.

Still, if anyone has an answer to my specific question on whether a certain stock recovery is required to flash the ota or not that would be helpful

KJ
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2802
You need the recovery from the firmware version you are using. As far as I know. Why use a different one?

Sent from my N5, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life on the N5...or any device really? Lots of info in first 3 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips

KidJoe
Old
Thanks Meter 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by DssTrainer View Post
I used MotoNoMoWp on my friend's phone and disabled write protection successfully.
Then I did the RockMyMoto method and got root.
Then I flashed the stock recovery I had on my PC which I think is from the latest Sprint image.
Then tried to take the OTA update.
It got about 20% in and rebooted saying the upgrade failed.

I did the same process with my phone and it worked fine. But I had updated to the 2nd to the latest update first, my friend was still before the first 4.2 camera patch update.

So do I need to flash the recovery from that older version before taking OTA or should any stock recovery flash work?

Q
are you sure its RECOVERY that is causing your issue?

The OTA contains a manifest file, which includes files and hash codes. It verifies these files exist on your phone, and the hashes match. If they don't match, or something is missing, the OTA will fail.

If you can boot into recovery, and manually install the update from there, it will show you progress and tell you the reason the update failed.
aka Mark_Venture

My Moto X tips and info

Currently using Verizon Moto X Developer Edition on my personal line.. But I have too many devices to choose from for work and personal... For the full list click -> HERE <-

Tags
flash, recovery