Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,614 Members 41,899 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Random question about contacts

Tip us?

km8j
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Default Random question about contacts

Ok - this is not unique to the X, but dont know where else to post it. What do you guys do when you have a lot of people from an office with the same office number in your phone? I.e., I work with John, Sally and Chris who all work at ABC Corp and the phone number is 456-789-1234. When ANYONE from the company calls, that caller ID will come through. For whatever reason, my phone will display Sally (example). I only want it to display the company name. What do you do? If I add a dedicated contact for the company, how will it delineate between them?

Old
Thanks Meter 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by km8j View Post
Ok - this is not unique to the X, but dont know where else to post it. What do you guys do when you have a lot of people from an office with the same office number in your phone? I.e., I work with John, Sally and Chris who all work at ABC Corp and the phone number is 456-789-1234. When ANYONE from the company calls, that caller ID will come through. For whatever reason, my phone will display Sally (example). I only want it to display the company name. What do you do? If I add a dedicated contact for the company, how will it delineate between them?
without testing, it's either alphabetical or indexed, meaning it will display the first instance of the phone number it comes across. For me, if I don't have a personal line for an individual, i remove that number from their contact info.

Solutions Etcetera
Old
Thanks Meter 155
I'm not sure what will happen if you have two contacts with the same number in People. I would guess that whichever comes first in the default sort will appear as the caller.

What I do is set up a contact with just the company name, and put the various contacts for that Co. in the notes field. Of course you won't know "who" is calling you from that company, but if they all have the same number, how is Android to know?

binary visions
Old
Thanks Meter 63
Quote:
As said above, I can't remember if it's alphabetical or indexed, but I believe it's alphabetical (i.e. if you work with John, Sally and Chris, Chris' name will always show up from that contact). If that's the case, you could create a contact like "A-Acme Corp" since "A" displays higher on the list.

Frankly, though, I don't think it's useful to have multiple people with the same office number, and I just create an office contact and delete the number from the individual contacts. It's not really "their" number if it's shared, so I'd rather have the contact really indicate who I'm calling, which is the company, not the person.

km8j
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by binary visions View Post
As said above, I can't remember if it's alphabetical or indexed, but I believe it's alphabetical (i.e. if you work with John, Sally and Chris, Chris' name will always show up from that contact). If that's the case, you could create a contact like "A-Acme Corp" since "A" displays higher on the list.

Frankly, though, I don't think it's useful to have multiple people with the same office number, and I just create an office contact and delete the number from the individual contacts. It's not really "their" number if it's shared, so I'd rather have the contact really indicate who I'm calling, which is the company, not the person.
You don't always have control over this, i.e., global address books syncing over Exchange.

Old
Thanks Meter 109
Quote:
You don't always have control over this, i.e., global address books syncing over Exchange.
most of the companies i've worked for/with have had a phone system with one external, but multiple internal lines. when i sync my contacts with exchange, the internal number is synced, so i am able to dial those individuals directly. however, if they call me, i have no idea who it is.

the only exception i've had to this rule are small businesses where you call and ask if you can talk to "sally" or whatever (or they don't have extensions, or the extensions aren't externally facing, etc). in that case, i don't bother with individualized contacts. i'll have a contact that says, "State Farm (Betty)" or something similar, so I know who to ask for.

Puzzlegal
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:

Frankly, though, I don't think it's useful to have multiple people with the same office number, and I just create an office contact and delete the number from the individual contacts. It's not really "their" number if it's shared,
Well, my husband, daughter, soon, and I all share the same home phone number. If I look up any of them, I would like that number to be one of the options visible.

km8j
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puzzlegal View Post
Well, my husband, daughter, soon, and I all share the same home phone number. If I look up any of them, I would like that number to be one of the options visible.
This is definitely a valid use case. There has to be a way to set as a default phone number a specific contact, then you would add a generic contact for "home" or "Company XYZ".

binary visions
Old
Thanks Meter 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puzzlegal View Post
I understand, I'm not saying my solution is the only way to do it. Just that it's one way to do it.

I have a "Home" contact that has my home phone number and home address. I don't need my girlfriend to have our home phone number listed on her contact, I just know I call "home" when I need to call home.

Puzzlegal
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
I understand, I'm not saying my solution is the only way to do it. Just that it's one way to do it.

I have a "Home" contact that has my home phone number and home address. I don't need my girlfriend to have our home phone number listed on her contact, I just know I call "home" when I need to call home.
That is certainly a solution. i could set up separate contacts for "home", "husband at work", and "husband's cell phone". But it seems simpler to keep all him contact information in one place. Same for my kids, who also have multiple phone numbers.

A lot of Google services seem to assume that a phone number is only relevant for a single person. I think that's a design flaw, as it's often not true. It's not a big deal in looking up contacts, but google phone numbers are essentially broken, as it won't let two different google phone numbers point to the same home number. (and there are three of us who would like to have the google number ring there at least some of the time.)