Quo Vadis, Open {Source, Standards, World}? w/ Jan Wildeboer – XDA:DevCon 2014

Open Source was a big topic at this years XDA:DevCon … more

Android 5.0 Leaked for the Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Android Lollipop is still making its way to many new devices. Firmware updates have been … more

Learn to Sync Files Between Android And PC with Unison

Dropbox and similar cloud services are great if youre planning to keep your files … more

OnePlus Indian Ban Lifted, Android One Expanding – XDA TV

Android 5.0.1 Lollipop is available for the Nvidia SHIELD Tablet! That and … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Random question about contacts

OP km8j

3rd March 2014, 08:23 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 23

708 posts
Ok - this is not unique to the X, but dont know where else to post it. What do you guys do when you have a lot of people from an office with the same office number in your phone? I.e., I work with John, Sally and Chris who all work at ABC Corp and the phone number is 456-789-1234. When ANYONE from the company calls, that caller ID will come through. For whatever reason, my phone will display Sally (example). I only want it to display the company name. What do you do? If I add a dedicated contact for the company, how will it delineate between them?
3rd March 2014, 08:30 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 162

920 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by km8j

Ok - this is not unique to the X, but dont know where else to post it. What do you guys do when you have a lot of people from an office with the same office number in your phone? I.e., I work with John, Sally and Chris who all work at ABC Corp and the phone number is 456-789-1234. When ANYONE from the company calls, that caller ID will come through. For whatever reason, my phone will display Sally (example). I only want it to display the company name. What do you do? If I add a dedicated contact for the company, how will it delineate between them?

without testing, it's either alphabetical or indexed, meaning it will display the first instance of the phone number it comes across. For me, if I don't have a personal line for an individual, i remove that number from their contact info.
3rd March 2014, 08:33 PM   |  #3  
Flag Sierra Nevada (west slope)
Thanks Meter: 165

867 posts
More
I'm not sure what will happen if you have two contacts with the same number in People. I would guess that whichever comes first in the default sort will appear as the caller.

What I do is set up a contact with just the company name, and put the various contacts for that Co. in the notes field. Of course you won't know "who" is calling you from that company, but if they all have the same number, how is Android to know?
3rd March 2014, 08:37 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 64

187 posts
Quote:

As said above, I can't remember if it's alphabetical or indexed, but I believe it's alphabetical (i.e. if you work with John, Sally and Chris, Chris' name will always show up from that contact). If that's the case, you could create a contact like "A-Acme Corp" since "A" displays higher on the list.

Frankly, though, I don't think it's useful to have multiple people with the same office number, and I just create an office contact and delete the number from the individual contacts. It's not really "their" number if it's shared, so I'd rather have the contact really indicate who I'm calling, which is the company, not the person.
7th March 2014, 05:21 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

708 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by binary visions

As said above, I can't remember if it's alphabetical or indexed, but I believe it's alphabetical (i.e. if you work with John, Sally and Chris, Chris' name will always show up from that contact). If that's the case, you could create a contact like "A-Acme Corp" since "A" displays higher on the list.

Frankly, though, I don't think it's useful to have multiple people with the same office number, and I just create an office contact and delete the number from the individual contacts. It's not really "their" number if it's shared, so I'd rather have the contact really indicate who I'm calling, which is the company, not the person.

You don't always have control over this, i.e., global address books syncing over Exchange.
7th March 2014, 09:13 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 162

920 posts
Quote:

You don't always have control over this, i.e., global address books syncing over Exchange.

most of the companies i've worked for/with have had a phone system with one external, but multiple internal lines. when i sync my contacts with exchange, the internal number is synced, so i am able to dial those individuals directly. however, if they call me, i have no idea who it is.

the only exception i've had to this rule are small businesses where you call and ask if you can talk to "sally" or whatever (or they don't have extensions, or the extensions aren't externally facing, etc). in that case, i don't bother with individualized contacts. i'll have a contact that says, "State Farm (Betty)" or something similar, so I know who to ask for.
8th March 2014, 04:31 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 14

109 posts
Quote:

Frankly, though, I don't think it's useful to have multiple people with the same office number, and I just create an office contact and delete the number from the individual contacts. It's not really "their" number if it's shared,

Well, my husband, daughter, soon, and I all share the same home phone number. If I look up any of them, I would like that number to be one of the options visible.
8th March 2014, 05:04 PM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member

708 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puzzlegal

Well, my husband, daughter, soon, and I all share the same home phone number. If I look up any of them, I would like that number to be one of the options visible.

This is definitely a valid use case. There has to be a way to set as a default phone number a specific contact, then you would add a generic contact for "home" or "Company XYZ".
9th March 2014, 03:41 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 64

187 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puzzlegal

I understand, I'm not saying my solution is the only way to do it. Just that it's one way to do it.

I have a "Home" contact that has my home phone number and home address. I don't need my girlfriend to have our home phone number listed on her contact, I just know I call "home" when I need to call home.
9th March 2014, 03:59 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 14

109 posts
Quote:

I understand, I'm not saying my solution is the only way to do it. Just that it's one way to do it.

I have a "Home" contact that has my home phone number and home address. I don't need my girlfriend to have our home phone number listed on her contact, I just know I call "home" when I need to call home.

That is certainly a solution. i could set up separate contacts for "home", "husband at work", and "husband's cell phone". But it seems simpler to keep all him contact information in one place. Same for my kids, who also have multiple phone numbers.

A lot of Google services seem to assume that a phone number is only relevant for a single person. I think that's a design flaw, as it's often not true. It's not a big deal in looking up contacts, but google phone numbers are essentially broken, as it won't let two different google phone numbers point to the same home number. (and there are three of us who would like to have the google number ring there at least some of the time.)

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread