Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,303 Members 53,035 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Play Store crashes on download, then continues to crash

Tip us?
 
samwathegreat
Old
(Last edited by samwathegreat; 9th July 2014 at 05:45 AM.)
#11  
samwathegreat's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 560
Posts: 1,011
Join Date: Apr 2010

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by themsftcpu View Post
Unfortunately I do not have an unlocked bootloader, as there is no way that I am aware to unlock the Moto X. When I said booting into recovery, I meant /system read\write mode. I am running Android 4.4 still, never updated to 4.4.2. I have adb, mfastboot (as well as fastboot on the device), and RSD Lite for flashing images to the device.
OK. Yes, there is a possibility to unlock your device. See the "China Middleman Back?" thread for details.

Anyways, since you are on 4.4, I assume you are using the "Slap My Moto" exploit + MotoWpNoMo (write protect disable exploit). (I asked which exploit you used, but you didn't advise)

What YOU will need to do (with locked BL) is follow the instructions in the "Return to Stock" thread, but instead of what I mentioned earlier, flash the entire 4.4 SBF for YOUR CARRIER (you never confirmed AT&T...)

After you have flashed the entire 4.4 SBF, you will need to re-apply the exploits to re-gain root and Write Protect Disable.

Once this is finished, your device should work 100% properly.

BE VERY CAREFUL. It seems you aren't aware of many of the nuances regarding the Moto X, so here is some info for you:

1. If you EVER attempt to downgrade your software version, you will brick your phone - possibly permanently. This applies to ALL Moto X phones - locked, unlocked, rooted, or not.

2. Additionally, if you ever update to 4.4.2, you will completely/permanently LOSE the ability to root and achieve write protect disable (unless you unlock the BL). There is a new temporary root method that works on 4.4.2, but it does not disable write protect, so you cannot write to /system, cannot flash custom recovery, and every time you reboot your device, you will have to re-run the exploit to gain root back again.

3. There is a gentleman from China who is selling bootloader unlock codes for the Moto X. He somehow has access to some of Motorola's database. Currently, he can unlock most devices that have a manufacture date of 2014 (he doesn't have access to 2013 codes). The cost is $45 (very reasonable, IMO), and you can find all the details in the "China Middleman Back?" thread. If you DO decide to try this unlock method and are successful, you will need to re-flash the entire stock SBF to remove the 'exploits' you are using. Also, with unlocked BL, you can successfully root and flash recovery (and write to /system) no matter which android version you are on.

Hope this clears everything up for you. Let me know if you have questions.
Remember: the "SEARCH" button will often save you a great deal of time waiting for a reply.

Help us keep XDA fun and safe. Please read the RULES, and please respect your fellow members.

I successfully CRACKED the SIM-LOCK on the Sprint XT1056 Moto X. Read about it HERE

Quote of the year:
Quote:
Originally Posted by doitinthedirt View Post
Well Google now doesn't work worth an iPhone. .I've spoken those last two lines ADB shell commands out loud for the past 15 minutes and I don't get root
The Following User Says Thank You to samwathegreat For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
themsftcpu
Old
#12  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 7
Join Date: Apr 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwathegreat View Post
OK. Yes, there is a possibility to unlock your device. See the "China Middleman Back?" thread for details.

Anyways, since you are on 4.4, I assume you are using the "Slap My Moto" exploit + MotoWpNoMo (write protect disable exploit). (I asked which exploit you used, but you didn't advise)

What YOU will need to do (with locked BL) is follow the instructions in the "Return to Stock" thread, but instead of what I mentioned earlier, flash the entire 4.4 SBF for YOUR CARRIER (you never confirmed AT&T...)

After you have flashed the entire 4.4 SBF, you will need to re-apply the exploits to re-gain root and Write Protect Disable.

Once this is finished, your device should work 100% properly.

BE VERY CAREFUL. It seems you aren't aware of many of the nuances regarding the Moto X, so here is some info for you:

1. If you EVER attempt to downgrade your software version, you will brick your phone - possibly permanently. This applies to ALL Moto X phones - locked, unlocked, rooted, or not.

2. Additionally, if you ever update to 4.4.2, you will completely/permanently LOSE the ability to root and achieve write protect disable (unless you unlock the BL). There is a new temporary root method that works on 4.4.2, but it does not disable write protect, so you cannot write to /system, cannot flash custom recovery, and every time you reboot your device, you will have to re-run the exploit to gain root back again.

3. There is a gentleman from China who is selling bootloader unlock codes for the Moto X. He somehow has access to some of Motorola's database. Currently, he can unlock most devices that have a manufacture date of 2014 (he doesn't have access to 2013 codes). The cost is $45 (very reasonable, IMO), and you can find all the details in the "China Middleman Back?" thread. If you DO decide to try this unlock method and are successful, you will need to re-flash the entire stock SBF to remove the 'exploits' you are using. Also, with unlocked BL, you can successfully root and flash recovery (and write to /system) no matter which android version you are on.

Hope this clears everything up for you. Let me know if you have questions.
Sorry, I didn't see the exploit, but yes I am using the SlapMyMoto exploit .here Yes I am using ATT

In reponse to
1. Got it, don't downgrade whatever I do.

2. I actually disabled the OTA updater app because the 4.4.2 update notification was stupid, and I accidentally hit "Yes, update."

3. I have the XT1058, which is the 2013 model. Besides that, not sure I want to be giving my money to a (hacker?).

As for the instructions above that: I will try in the morning, I have an important phone call to take tomorrow and I can't afford to have my phone acting up.
 
samwathegreat
Old
(Last edited by samwathegreat; 9th July 2014 at 07:46 AM.)
#13  
samwathegreat's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 560
Posts: 1,011
Join Date: Apr 2010

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by themsftcpu View Post
Sorry, I didn't see the exploit, but yes I am using the SlapMyMoto exploit .here Yes I am using ATT

In reponse to
1. Got it, don't downgrade whatever I do.

2. I actually disabled the OTA updater app because the 4.4.2 update notification was stupid, and I accidentally hit "Yes, update."

3. I have the XT1058, which is the 2013 model. Besides that, not sure I want to be giving my money to a (hacker?).

As for the instructions above that: I will try in the morning, I have an important phone call to take tomorrow and I can't afford to have my phone acting up.
1. Great!

2. Good idea. Disabling the OTA updater is wise to prevent the possibility of losing root/write protect.

3. What is important is the date YOUR phone was manufactured. If you purchased it in 2013, obviously it has a 2013 manufacture date, but the Moto factory is still churning out brand new XT1058s. If you are curious, the manufacture date is listed on the box, OR you can find it by issuing "fastboot getvar all". I understand your reluctance to send money to this gentleman - fortunately you never updated to 4.4.2 so you can still use the 4.4 exploits. This is the ONLY option to achieve full root for those on 4.4.2+

Again, I highly recommend using the manual method (using fastboot/mfastboot) listed in the Return to Stock thread. Faster and easier than using RSD Lite, IMO.

Please let us know if the procedure I outlined fixes your problem once you have completed all the steps.
Remember: the "SEARCH" button will often save you a great deal of time waiting for a reply.

Help us keep XDA fun and safe. Please read the RULES, and please respect your fellow members.

I successfully CRACKED the SIM-LOCK on the Sprint XT1056 Moto X. Read about it HERE

Quote of the year:
Quote:
Originally Posted by doitinthedirt View Post
Well Google now doesn't work worth an iPhone. .I've spoken those last two lines ADB shell commands out loud for the past 15 minutes and I don't get root
 
samwathegreat
Old
#14  
samwathegreat's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 560
Posts: 1,011
Join Date: Apr 2010

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by themsftcpu View Post
Sorry, I didn't see the exploit, but yes I am using the SlapMyMoto exploit .here Yes I am using ATT

In reponse to
1. Got it, don't downgrade whatever I do.

2. I actually disabled the OTA updater app because the 4.4.2 update notification was stupid, and I accidentally hit "Yes, update."

3. I have the XT1058, which is the 2013 model. Besides that, not sure I want to be giving my money to a (hacker?).

As for the instructions above that: I will try in the morning, I have an important phone call to take tomorrow and I can't afford to have my phone acting up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwathegreat View Post
1. Great!

2. Good idea. Disabling the OTA updater is wise to prevent the possibility of losing root/write protect.

3. What is important is the date YOUR phone was manufactured. If you purchased it in 2013, obviously it has a 2013 manufacture date, but the Moto factory is still churning out brand new XT1058s. If you are curious, the manufacture date is listed on the box, OR you can find it by issuing "fastboot getvar all". I understand your reluctance to send money to this gentleman - fortunately you never updated to 4.4.2 so you can still use the 4.4 exploits. This is the ONLY option to achieve full root for those on 4.4.2+

Again, I highly recommend using the manual method (using fastboot/mfastboot) listed in the Return to Stock thread. Faster and easier than using RSD Lite, IMO.

Please let us know if the procedure I outlined fixes your problem once you have completed all the steps.
I must make a slight revision to my previous statements:

We always advise users to never downgrade, because IF the bootloader OR gpt.bin (partition table) changed between the updates, the phone will be a brick. There is one exception: You CAN successfully downgrade 4.4 to the 4.2.2 Post-Camera Update firmware (NOT the original 4.2.2), because this is the only version where neither the bootloader, nor partition table was updated.

Upon reading up on SlapMyMoto, it is necessary to 'downgrade' to the 4.2.2 Post-Camera Update.

Please do not use the guide you linked from Reddit -- jcase has since released a NEW version of SlapMyMoto, and you should follow the new guide here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto...pnomo-t2538896

Also, you won't be flashing the 4.4 SBF as I had previously stated, but rather the Post-Camera Update firmware that is linked in jcase's thread.

Flash the AT&T file linked in jcase's thread, per the "Return to Stock" manual method, then follow the instructions in his thread.

This should fix your issues.

Sorry for the confusion....I haven't used SlapMyMoto personally, as I have an unlocked bootloader. In hindsight, I should have read up on SlapMyMoto before I advised you....
Remember: the "SEARCH" button will often save you a great deal of time waiting for a reply.

Help us keep XDA fun and safe. Please read the RULES, and please respect your fellow members.

I successfully CRACKED the SIM-LOCK on the Sprint XT1056 Moto X. Read about it HERE

Quote of the year:
Quote:
Originally Posted by doitinthedirt View Post
Well Google now doesn't work worth an iPhone. .I've spoken those last two lines ADB shell commands out loud for the past 15 minutes and I don't get root
 
KidJoe
Old
#15  
KidJoe's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 655
Posts: 1,751
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Thorndale/Romansville, PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by themsftcpu View Post
Essentially, the other day, my Google services stopped working, due to something in my hosts file. I booted into recovery, and commented out android.clients.google.com mtalk.google.com, which had pointed to 74.125.93.113
From the OP, it looks like you edited the HOSTS file and have had problems since, but you do not say if you un-did your host file edit.

Did you?

If no, you should try that first. try and put the original, unmodified hosts file on there.
aka Mark_Venture

My Moto X tips and info

Currently using Verizon Moto X Developer Edition on my personal line.. But I have too many devices to choose from for work and personal... For the full list click -> HERE <-

Sign up for Dropbox -> HERE
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


TRENDING IN THEMER...