Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,908 Members 53,613 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Why is the Google Now launcher Incompatible with my phone?!

Tip us?

Weapondrift
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Default Why is the Google Now launcher Incompatible with my phone?!

my phone obviously runs kitkat so why the ef is this app not available for me in the play store?!
When all else fails, blow up the world and start over

samwathegreat
Old
Thanks Meter 364

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weapondrift View Post
my phone obviously runs kitkat so why the ef is this app not available for me in the play store?!
If I recall correctly, Moto disabled/blocked it because they claimed it interfered with the built-in Motorola Touchless Controls.
Remember: the "SEARCH" button will often save you a great deal of time waiting for a reply.

Help us keep XDA fun and safe. Please read the RULES, and please respect your fellow members.

Quote of the year:
Quote:
Originally Posted by doitinthedirt View Post
Well Google now doesn't work worth an iPhone. .I've spoken those last two lines ADB shell commands out loud for the past 15 minutes and I don't get root
The Following User Says Thank You to samwathegreat For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Weapondrift
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwathegreat View Post
If I recall correctly, Moto disabled/blocked it because they claimed it interfered with the built-in Motorola Touchless Controls.
thank you
When all else fails, blow up the world and start over

kcipopnevets
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weapondrift View Post
thank you
The first answer is correct, and also, the launcher is only OFFICIALLY compatible with Nexus and GPE devices. Here's the apk if you still want it or if you haven't gotten it yet.
I'MANUTCASEANDALLILISTENTOISMETAL
HTC Rezound, BROKEN
Droid MAXX XT1080M("DEV"), KitKat stock, UNLOCKED(!!!!!!!!!) and rooted
GWAR \m/ (-'__'-) \m/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kcipopnevets For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

EVOSerb
Old
Thanks Meter 29
Quote:
I am using it and it does not affect touchless controls at all. I

Sent from my XT1056 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to EVOSerb For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

samwathegreat
Old
Thanks Meter 364

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOSerb View Post
I am using it and it does not affect touchless controls at all. I

I didn't say that it does interfere, just that it was the explanation moto gave when they blocked it for the X. It USED to be installed by default, IIRC.
Remember: the "SEARCH" button will often save you a great deal of time waiting for a reply.

Help us keep XDA fun and safe. Please read the RULES, and please respect your fellow members.

Quote of the year:
Quote:
Originally Posted by doitinthedirt View Post
Well Google now doesn't work worth an iPhone. .I've spoken those last two lines ADB shell commands out loud for the past 15 minutes and I don't get root

EVOSerb
Old
Thanks Meter 29
Quote:
I didn't say that it does interfere, just that it was the explanation moto gave when they blocked it for the X. It USED to be installed by default, IIRC.
I know you didn't. I was just saying for anyone else that GNL doesn't interfere with touchless controls. In case someone else was thinking about installing it.

The Following User Says Thank You to EVOSerb For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

imnuts
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2958

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Motorola didn't block it, Google did. It is only available for Nexus devices, and it has never been the default on the Motorola X, or any other device that wasn't from the Play Store.
Setup a Development Environment
Setup and Use the Android SDK
Stock Odin Restore files

You can find the answer to all of your questions right here. If that doesn't work, then try this or this

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imnuts For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]