Post Reply

anyone ever have problems with there x reading the sim?

2nd February 2014, 01:55 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
louisiana
Thanks Meter: 30
 
720 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
i just got my motomakes x today and popped in my straight talk nano sim. everything worked fine for about an hour then bam red triangle, meaning emergency calls only. i tried reinserting the sim multiple times but same thing. for the hell of it i popped in the tmobile sim that shipped in the phone and it reads it just fine. has this happened to anyone else before?
2nd February 2014, 04:03 AM   |  #2  
Member
Thanks Meter: 14
 
82 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sicmadek

i just got my motomakes x today and popped in my straight talk nano sim. everything worked fine for about an hour then bam red triangle, meaning emergency calls only. i tried reinserting the sim multiple times but same thing. for the hell of it i popped in the tmobile sim that shipped in the phone and it reads it just fine. has this happened to anyone else before?

Very few MVNOs like Straight Talk offer official nano SIMs for sale. You (or someone else) make them by cutting down a larger SIM, and that can be imperfect. Officially nano SIMs are also slightly thinner than other SIM sizes, so you have to carefully sand them down although many don't do that and find things work OK. I purchased a NET10 nano SIM from a reseller and have had similar problems although sometimes a reboot fixes it and sometimes a single reinsert of the SIM has fixed the problem (a couple times it's taken several tries). Until I run the phone using an official nano SIM I'm reluctant to say my phone has a problem. Given the new ATT family plan pricing & per line $100 incentive, we'll probably be moving there sooner than I was planning, and ATT can supply a real nano SIM.
2nd February 2014, 04:30 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
louisiana
Thanks Meter: 30
 
720 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry62

Very few MVNOs like Straight Talk offer official nano SIMs for sale. You (or someone else) make them by cutting down a larger SIM, and that can be imperfect. Officially nano SIMs are also slightly thinner than other SIM sizes, so you have to carefully sand them down although many don't do that and find things work OK. I purchased a NET10 nano SIM from a reseller and have had similar problems although sometimes a reboot fixes it and sometimes a single reinsert of the SIM has fixed the problem (a couple times it's taken several tries). Until I run the phone using an official nano SIM I'm reluctant to say my phone has a problem. Given the new ATT family plan pricing & per line $100 incentive, we'll probably be moving there sooner than I was planning, and ATT can supply a real nano SIM.


I bought a straight talk activation kit which came with a nano Sim. Why wouldn't it be official?
2nd February 2014, 06:06 AM   |  #4  
Member
Thanks Meter: 14
 
82 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sicmadek

I bought a straight talk activation kit which came with a nano Sim. Why wouldn't it be official?

Interesting... Was this a retail kit from Walmart? On their website, they only offer micro and full size. I even sent them an email asking if they could provide a nano SIM and got the answer back - no. They said that what you see on the website is all that is available. Of course they aren't known for the customer service expertise. If the activation kit came off ebay or from some 3rd party, they may have pre-cut it for you.
2nd February 2014, 04:17 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
louisiana
Thanks Meter: 30
 
720 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry62

Interesting... Was this a retail kit from Walmart? On their website, they only offer micro and full size. I even sent them an email asking if they could provide a nano SIM and got the answer back - no. They said that what you see on the website is all that is available. Of course they aren't known for the customer service expertise. If the activation kit came off ebay or from some 3rd party, they may have pre-cut it for you.


I purchased it in a Walmart store. Yes they do sell nano Sims on their website for $6.98.
2nd February 2014, 04:34 PM   |  #6  
treefrog20012003's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Wooster
Thanks Meter: 35
 
211 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
More
I activated my wife's Moto x with a nano SIM out of the kit just fine. Stupid question is did you set the apn settings? Maybe the SIM went bad. My kit was all messed up, I got two AT&T nano Sims and two tmo regular/micro Sims.

Sent from my MB886 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Last edited by treefrog20012003; 2nd February 2014 at 04:41 PM.
2nd February 2014, 06:00 PM   |  #7  
Member
Thanks Meter: 14
 
82 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sicmadek

I purchased it in a Walmart store. Yes they do sell nano Sims on their website for $6.98.

Doesn't show up when I go to either their site or walmart.com. Attached is a screen capture of what I get. Maybe it's zip code dependent, but that would be weird. Given they sell iphones it makes sense they should have them. Could you reference the URL where you've found them?

The screen capture is from this URL:http://www.shopstraighttalk.com/bpdi...ale=en&lang=EN
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	straight talk sims.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	2555051  
Last edited by larry62; 2nd February 2014 at 06:03 PM.
2nd February 2014, 10:03 PM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member
louisiana
Thanks Meter: 30
 
720 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry62

Doesn't show up when I go to either their site or walmart.com. Attached is a screen capture of what I get. Maybe it's zip code dependent, but that would be weird. Given they sell iphones it makes sense they should have them. Could you reference the URL where you've found them?

The screen capture is from this URL:http://www.shopstraighttalk.com/bpdi...ale=en&lang=EN


I never search by zip code. When my brother ordered on he just had it shipped to our local store.
2nd February 2014, 10:13 PM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member
louisiana
Thanks Meter: 30
 
720 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by treefrog20012003

I activated my wife's Moto x with a nano SIM out of the kit just fine. Stupid question is did you set the apn settings? Maybe the SIM went bad. My kit was all messed up, I got two AT&T nano Sims and two tmo regular/micro Sims.

Sent from my MB886 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app


Funny thing is when I called straight talk they said was a T-Mobile Sim. So basically they don't even know what the have. It was clearly blue and in the attached slot of the kit.
2nd February 2014, 10:31 PM   |  #10  
treefrog20012003's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Wooster
Thanks Meter: 35
 
211 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
More
That's no lie, they are completely clueless on what they sell. I told them of the packaging mistake and all they would do is sell me another card.

Sent from my MB886 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 05:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:29 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry62

Doesn't show up when I go to either their site or walmart.com. Attached is a screen capture of what I get. Maybe it's zip code dependent, but that would be weird. Given they sell iphones it makes sense they should have them. Could you reference the URL where you've found them?

The screen capture is from this URL:http://www.shopstraighttalk.com/bpdi...ale=en&lang=EN

If you look those are regular and micro, not nano. I only got a nano by buying the kit at Wal-Mart.

Sent from my MB886 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Moto X Q&A by ThreadRank