Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,673 Members 40,945 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[q] Can I get some help with using google now to play music

Tip us?

beelbeel
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default [q] Can I get some help with using google now to play music

Either I need help, or google now is absolutely terrible with music.

I have a bunch of music that I added to my phone using isyncr. I have tried to get google to play it, but have yet to play a song successfully using voice commands. It is half the reason that I got this phone, and it's really frustrating how bad it is. Let's use the artist Bonobo for an example. I am able to tell google now what I want to listen to, and it interprets my words successfully about 50% of the time.

If I say "Listen to Bonobo," it opens google music and says "no results found." This occurs despite the fact that it spelled it correctly and I clearly have his music.

If I say "Listen to Black Sands," it tells me that it "Couldn't prepare an instant mix, please try again."

If I saw "Listen to Know You by Bonobo," it actually says "Playing 'Know You' by Bonobo," opens google music, and then starts an instant mix with "Know Yourself" by Femi Kuti.

I was a former android user, now a former iphone user, and google now is a complete disgrace. Am I doing something wrong?

danger2u
Old
Thanks Meter 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by beelbeel View Post
Either I need help, or google now is absolutely terrible with music.

I have a bunch of music that I added to my phone using isyncr. I have tried to get google to play it, but have yet to play a song successfully using voice commands. It is half the reason that I got this phone, and it's really frustrating how bad it is. Let's use the artist Bonobo for an example. I am able to tell google now what I want to listen to, and it interprets my words successfully about 50% of the time.

If I say "Listen to Bonobo," it opens google music and says "no results found." This occurs despite the fact that it spelled it correctly and I clearly have his music.

If I say "Listen to Black Sands," it tells me that it "Couldn't prepare an instant mix, please try again."

If I saw "Listen to Know You by Bonobo," it actually says "Playing 'Know You' by Bonobo," opens google music, and then starts an instant mix with "Know Yourself" by Femi Kuti.

I was a former android user, now a former iphone user, and google now is a complete disgrace. Am I doing something wrong?
dissinstall the updates from Google play music andt try again
let me know if works

beelbeel
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by danger2u View Post
dissinstall the updates from Google play music andt try again
let me know if works
Reverted to the factory version of google music, and these are the results.

"Listen to Bonobo" is interpreted correctly, google says "Playing Bonobo." It then just takes me to the app with that artist selected. I have tested this for multiple artists.

"Listen to Black Sands" is interpreted correctly. This is an album as well as a song, which is incredibly common. Google successfully plays the song. If I say "Listen to album Black Sands," it still plays the song. If I pick another album that is also not a track name, it just takes me to that album in google music.

"Listen to Know You," a song from a different album, just pulls up a search for "listen to know you." "Listen to know you by Bonobo" successfully plays the song. It plays this single song on repeat and nothing else.

This is an improvement, if I only ever want to listen to a single song. It also gives me the ability to tell google to pull up an artist (even if I am telling it to play that artist), at which point I can hit play myself.

Thanks for the help. I'm still extremely disappointed.

danger2u
Old
Thanks Meter 57
Quote:
Reverted to the factory version of google music, and these are the results.

"Listen to Bonobo" is interpreted correctly, google says "Playing Bonobo." It then just takes me to the app with that artist selected. I have tested this for multiple artists.

"Listen to Black Sands" is interpreted correctly. This is an album as well as a song, which is incredibly common. Google successfully plays the song. If I say "Listen to album Black Sands," it still plays the song. If I pick another album that is also not a track name, it just takes me to that album in google music.

"Listen to Know You," a song from a different album, just pulls up a search for "listen to know you." "Listen to know you by Bonobo" successfully plays the song. It plays this single song on repeat and nothing else.

This is an improvement, if I only ever want to listen to a single song. It also gives me the ability to tell google to pull up an artist (even if I am telling it to play that artist), at which point I can hit play myself.

Thanks for the help. I'm still extremely disappointed.
try to say the name of the album instead of the name of the song.

Inviato dal mio Nexus 4 utilizzando Tapatalk

beelbeel
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
try to say the name of the album instead of the name of the song.

Inviato dal mio Nexus 4 utilizzando Tapatalk
I did. I said "Black Sands," which is the name of both a song and an album, and I also tried "The North Borders," which is a different album. For the north borders, it clearly understands what I am saying and shows the album artwork. It doesn't actually play any music, though.

danger2u
Old
Thanks Meter 57
Quote:
I did. I said "Black Sands," which is the name of both a song and an album, and I also tried "The North Borders," which is a different album. For the north borders, it clearly understands what I am saying and shows the album artwork. It doesn't actually play any music, though.
i think they need to improve a little that thing
wait for some updates

beelbeel
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
i think they need to improve a little that thing
wait for some updates

Thanks. I'm a little pissed off that I even switched at this point. They pull you into the Moto X by talking about how you never have to use your hands. The voice recognition tool is absolute crap unless you want to search the internet. At that point, I'm just yelling at my phone to search the internet even though I can type it out.

I was really hoping to be able to use this to play music while driving.

emailrob
Old
Thanks Meter 8
its pretty patchy at the moment, I agree. Half the time mine searches on the web rather than opening google play. If I wanted to search on the web, i would have used that command. But when it starts with "Play..." then it should always search on GPAA.

beelbeel
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by emailrob View Post
its pretty patchy at the moment, I agree. Half the time mine searches on the web rather than opening google play. If I wanted to search on the web, i would have used that command. But when it starts with "Play..." then it should always search on GPAA.
For what it's worth, I just asked the same question on Reddit, and somebody pointed me to a program called PlayerPro. It will recognize artists and albums successfully, but not playlists. I'm also not sure if I can tell any app to shuffle via google now.

PlayerPro is a paid app, but I might try other media player apps now that I know that different apps work/don't work differently.

emailrob
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
For what it's worth, I just asked the same question on Reddit, and somebody pointed me to a program called PlayerPro. It will recognize artists and albums successfully, but not playlists. I'm also not sure if I can tell any app to shuffle via google now.

PlayerPro is a paid app, but I might try other media player apps now that I know that different apps work/don't work differently.
Thanks, unfortunately all my music and subscription is with google music so doesn't help.