Originally Posted by wpix123
Thank you RJ
Please verify doing in right order.
Step 1. Backup phone
2. Rsd lite to stock.
3.unlock boot loader
4.upgrade to 442
6.flash custom recovery.
Secondly what else do I have to do to enable tethering on metropcs/T-Mobile besides system settings db change and appending dun to APN settings
Sent from my XT1053 using XDA Free mobile app
Almost. You really really shouldn't backup the phone. You NEED to start from scratch. If you restore a backup from NOW (with safestrap and motowpnomo) you WILL have issues.
Please follow these steps instead:
1. Make a list of all apps you have installed so you can reinstall later. Backup any pictures you have taken or any other files you want to keep. EVERYTHING will be erased.
2. Use RSD Lite (or manual method) to completely restore to stock. Just flash the 4.4.2 SBF *FOR T-MOBILE VARIANT*, this way you don't need to upgrade later. Don't bother setting anything up yet.... ***DO NOT FLASH THE 4.4.2 SBF UNTIL YOU HAVE YOUR UNLOCK KEY IN HAND! Once you flash to 4.4.2 there is NO going back. This will not be an issue at all so long as you get your unlock key and you will be permanently unlocked once you use it.
3. Unlock your BL "fastboot oem unlock uniquekey"
4. FROM THE BOOTLOADER SCREEN (AP Fastboot Mode), Flash TWRP custom recovery using mfastboot (mfastboot flash recovery twrpfilename.img)
5. Type 'adb reboot bootloader' to reboot into the bootloader. Use the down arrow to select "recovery" then press up arrow to boot INTO recovery.
6. Make a backup (optional - this will be your COMPLETELY STOCK backup), then exit TWRP. When you exit, TWRP will ask if you want to install "supersu installer". Tell it YES.
7. Boot up normally. Go ahead and complete the initial setup. Then in the app drawer, run supersu installer. It will give you 2 options. Choose PLAY STORE option. You're now rooted with unlocked bootloader and TWRP custom recovery.
8. Set up everything from scratch. Re-install all the apps you want using the LIST you made in step 1. Copy all saved pictures and files back to the phone.
If you don't follow these steps completely and you try to backup and restore you will have issues. The exploits you used (safestrap and wpmotonomo) will only be completely cleared if you do the SBF to stock. If you do the backup / restore, you will have issues and NOT be happy :P
I'm assuming you know how to use fastboot, and how to boot into the bootloader (turn phone OFF, hold down VOL DOWN, power back on). If you have issues with any of these steps we will help you through it.
ONCE FINISHED, you should just be able to modify the APN settings to get data working. Whatever method you used previously for tethering should work the same. You SHOULD be able to just use the latest experimental version of WIFI Tether for root users. Thats what I'm using, and it works great on my X. Search this forum to find the correct version and appropriate settings. You can also (optionally) use the Xposed framework module instead. Use one or the other, but not both.