Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,395 Members 46,419 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Question before buying

Tip us?

MakoVince
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22

DONATE TO ME
Default [Q] Question before buying

Hey all, looking to purchase a Moto X and I'm trying to figure out what variant would work on Bell Mobility in Canada as it's not entirely clear. If someone could help me out that'd be great! Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
-----| Nexus 5 32GB |-----
-----| ParanoidAndroid | Faux123 kernel |-----

Device History

Samsung Galaxy S | Galaxy Nexus | Nexus 4 | Moto X | Nexus 5

nhizzat
Old
Thanks Meter 72
Compare the bands/frequencies that Bell Mobility uses to the bands/frequencies supported by the different Moto X variants?

KaiHD
Old
(Last edited by KaiHD; 11th January 2014 at 05:53 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1

DONATE TO ME
You'd want the XT1058 model (aka the AT&T Moto X). Only that model has LTE band 7 (2600MHz), which is widely used in Europe and Asia- it's also the model sold by Rogers Canada.

Keep in mind that if you're planning to root it you should get the Developer Edition. (But then you won't get LTE support outside America).

Bottom line:
AT&T model for international LTE support (XT1058)
Developer Edition for easy rooting (ie. unlockable bootloader) (XT1053)
The Following User Says Thank You to KaiHD For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Steve-x
Old
(Last edited by Steve-x; 11th January 2014 at 05:56 AM.)
Thanks Meter 171
The easiest to get and best one for Bell is the Rogers/Fido version. It comes sim locked but it is 8 dollars or less to unlock it. They are pretty easy to come across on craigslist these days.

You could also import one from the US if you wanted, if that is the case then I'd get the tmobile version. You would lose access to band 7 LTE though but you'd be able to get a custom colored version and 32gb if you need it.

edit - to respond to what KaiHD said above my post

Run away from the AT&T version, the Rogers version is the same hardware but has an unlockable bootloader and no bloatware. The Rogers version is also very easy to sim unlock.

Also, I see you're in BC, if its the lower mainland you can pickup an as new Moto X for $300.00 Cdn

Just for those wondering - Bell Mobility is a Canadian cell provider with HSPA and LTE.
Deep in the Heart of the State of the Art with my Moto X.

MakoVince
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22

DONATE TO ME
Unfortunately people in my area are asking unreasonable prices for Rogers/Fido Moto Xs (500-600) and I have the opportunity to grab an AT&T variant for under 300. Thanks to both of your for the info, helped a lot.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
-----| Nexus 5 32GB |-----
-----| ParanoidAndroid | Faux123 kernel |-----

Device History

Samsung Galaxy S | Galaxy Nexus | Nexus 4 | Moto X | Nexus 5