Question about Dev Edition Factory Images

Tip us?

Johmama
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 268

DONATE TO ME
Prompt Question about Dev Edition Factory Images

To begin, I'm a guy who has only used Nexus devices. I am very comfortable flashing things, rooting, etc. with them, but I'm out my element with anything else. I want to just use "fastboot oem unlock", flash a custom recovery, then flash whatever else I want. Nexus has spoiled me. I have a Moto X Dev Edition on it's way. A few questions:

1. From what I can gather, Motorola has factory images for the Moto X Dev Edition here, but is on a request-only basis. Why? So they can keep track of who downloaded them, but why does it matter? Unlocking the bootloader on Dev Editions no longer voids the warranty. In any case, couldn't someone just download them, then mirror them? I don't mind requesting the download, I'm just wondering their thought behind it.

2. On that website above, they say I can manually flash each partition, which is how I'd like to handle it. What is RSD Lite, and why do most guides recommend I use that instead of typing the flash commands into the command prompt? Is it preferred because it is kind of an automated thing and is faster than typing each command or am I just misinterpreting what RSD does? To put this more simply, if I prefer, can I manually type the following commands into the command prompt while in fastboot mode to flash the different partitions on the phone instead of using RSD Lite to return to stock?
Code:
$ fastboot flash partition gpt.bin
$ fastboot flash motoboot motoboot.img
$ fastboot reboot-bootloader
$ fastboot flash logo logo.bin
$ fastboot flash boot boot.img
$ fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
$ fastboot flash system system.img
$ fastboot erase modemst1
$ fastboot erase modemst2
$ fastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
$ fastboot reboot

bongostl
Old
Thanks Meter 509
Rsd:moto:din:Samsung

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 12:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 PM ----------

Oops. Evidently that turned into emoji. Rsd is to moto as Odin is to Samsung. Go ahead and use it. (I too am coming from exactly your situation... I'm just a week ahead if you! )

---------- Post added at 12:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 PM ----------

Here is what I did to replicate my n4 experience+the moto x features. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2556400

Thankful for my help? Here's my favorite charity. Make a donation: http://ajws.org/
My Phones: N1>G2>MT4g>NS>G2X>Sensation>GS2(t989)>GN>N4>Moto X
Carrier: Net10--$45/m for Unlimited Calls/SMS + 2.5GB
The Following User Says Thank You to bongostl For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

KidJoe
Old
Thanks Meter 367
most suggest RSDLite because it can flash the entire ROM, without having to manually enter each command correctly at a command prompt.

You can do it either way.

Fastboot is nice because you can pick/choose which "parts" to flash.
The Following User Says Thank You to KidJoe For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]