Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,490 Members 41,700 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Question about purchasing Moto X from Motorola or..

Tip us?

SysAdmNj
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 182
Default Question about purchasing Moto X from Motorola or..

from the At&t store off contract. Now at the motorola online store its 399 and at att its 529? Shoulnt Att lower their price to match?

Also was considering the htc one mini or even the nexus 5, but somehow at 399 with customization and free chromecast I wouldnt mind waiting the 5 days for delivery. Did anyone prefer the htc one mini or even the nexus 5 over the moto x?
I already have an lg g2 and would like something smaller with good battery life as well.

I guess last question, from what I'm seeing rooting is easy but can you unlock the bootloader? Xposed frameworks working ok?

mtpease
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SysAdmNj View Post
from the At&t store off contract. Now at the motorola online store its 399 and at att its 529? Shoulnt Att lower their price to match?

Also was considering the htc one mini or even the nexus 5, but somehow at 399 with customization and free chromecast I wouldnt mind waiting the 5 days for delivery. Did anyone prefer the htc one mini or even the nexus 5 over the moto x?
I already have an lg g2 and would like something smaller with good battery life as well.

I guess last question, from what I'm seeing rooting is easy but can you unlock the bootloader? Xposed frameworks working ok?
I can't really speak to anything AT&T related, but I just bought a Moto X from Google. I elected to purchase the Developer Edition, because the bootloader can be unlocked. From what I understand, there is still a bounty to unlock the bootloader for non-dev devices. If the price from Google is lower than AT&T, then there really isn't any reason to buy it from them.

I'm running a custom rom, and the Xposed framework is functioning flawlessly.

SysAdmNj
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpease View Post
I can't really speak to anything AT&T related, but I just bought a Moto X from Google. I elected to purchase the Developer Edition, because the bootloader can be unlocked. From what I understand, there is still a bounty to unlock the bootloader for non-dev devices. If the price from Google is lower than AT&T, then there really isn't any reason to buy it from them.

I'm running a custom rom, and the Xposed framework is functioning flawlessly.
Are non dev editions able to root and flash custom roms somehow?

mtpease
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SysAdmNj View Post
Are non dev editions able to root and flash custom roms somehow?
Sort of. The non-dev models can't install a custom recovery at the bootloader via fastboot, but there is a work around.

You can root using the tool on this page:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2477132

After rooting, you can install safestrap, which is a custom recovery tool used to install roms. It doesn't replace the stock recovery image, but it does work to flash roms.

nhizzat
Old
Thanks Meter 66
Xposed + GravityBox (and other modules) negates, for the most part, the need for custom roms.
The Following User Says Thank You to nhizzat For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gunnyman
Old
Thanks Meter 2655

DONATE TO ME
If I had it to do all over again I'd buy a moto maker T-Mobile phone. It's sim unlocked, works on at&t lte and you can unlock the bootloader.
Uncle Gunny says, "MAKE A NANDROID"
LG G2 Uncarriered
LG Gpad 8.3 GPE
Rooted and Xposed
Don't be a d*ck -Wil Wheaton
Unlocking and rooting your HTC One with a Mac
Oh BTW I'm fat.

mtpease
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhizzat View Post
Xposed + GravityBox (and other modules) negates, for the most part, the need for custom roms.
Where's the fun in that?

gunnyman
Old
Thanks Meter 2655

DONATE TO ME
This is not a tinkerer phone.
Uncle Gunny says, "MAKE A NANDROID"
LG G2 Uncarriered
LG Gpad 8.3 GPE
Rooted and Xposed
Don't be a d*ck -Wil Wheaton
Unlocking and rooting your HTC One with a Mac