FORUMS

Earthquake Early Warning in Your Pocket

Probably all of us reading this have a smartphone in our pocket. For many of us, the … more

Sony: The OEM You Want To Save

In our recent Discuss article, we asked you readers on which OEM you would like to help. While the … more

How to Lock and Protect Your Apps – XDA Xposed Tuesday

The smartphone revolution has passed. Everybody has mobile apps. Some of … more

Which OEM Would You Like to Help?

Most manufacturers have moments of greatness and moments of decadence, and in the past few years … more

Question about purchasing Moto X from Motorola or..

2,167 posts
Thanks Meter: 190
 
By SysAdmNj, Senior Member on 9th January 2014, 10:39 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
from the At&t store off contract. Now at the motorola online store its 399 and at att its 529? Shoulnt Att lower their price to match?

Also was considering the htc one mini or even the nexus 5, but somehow at 399 with customization and free chromecast I wouldnt mind waiting the 5 days for delivery. Did anyone prefer the htc one mini or even the nexus 5 over the moto x?
I already have an lg g2 and would like something smaller with good battery life as well.

I guess last question, from what I'm seeing rooting is easy but can you unlock the bootloader? Xposed frameworks working ok?
 
 
10th January 2014, 01:28 AM |#2  
Member
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 22
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SysAdmNj

from the At&t store off contract. Now at the motorola online store its 399 and at att its 529? Shoulnt Att lower their price to match?

Also was considering the htc one mini or even the nexus 5, but somehow at 399 with customization and free chromecast I wouldnt mind waiting the 5 days for delivery. Did anyone prefer the htc one mini or even the nexus 5 over the moto x?
I already have an lg g2 and would like something smaller with good battery life as well.

I guess last question, from what I'm seeing rooting is easy but can you unlock the bootloader? Xposed frameworks working ok?

I can't really speak to anything AT&T related, but I just bought a Moto X from Google. I elected to purchase the Developer Edition, because the bootloader can be unlocked. From what I understand, there is still a bounty to unlock the bootloader for non-dev devices. If the price from Google is lower than AT&T, then there really isn't any reason to buy it from them.

I'm running a custom rom, and the Xposed framework is functioning flawlessly.
10th January 2014, 05:08 AM |#3  
SysAdmNj's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 190
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpease

I can't really speak to anything AT&T related, but I just bought a Moto X from Google. I elected to purchase the Developer Edition, because the bootloader can be unlocked. From what I understand, there is still a bounty to unlock the bootloader for non-dev devices. If the price from Google is lower than AT&T, then there really isn't any reason to buy it from them.

I'm running a custom rom, and the Xposed framework is functioning flawlessly.

Are non dev editions able to root and flash custom roms somehow?
10th January 2014, 05:17 AM |#4  
Member
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 22
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SysAdmNj

Are non dev editions able to root and flash custom roms somehow?

Sort of. The non-dev models can't install a custom recovery at the bootloader via fastboot, but there is a work around.

You can root using the tool on this page:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2477132

After rooting, you can install safestrap, which is a custom recovery tool used to install roms. It doesn't replace the stock recovery image, but it does work to flash roms.
10th January 2014, 01:50 PM |#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 183
 
More
Xposed + GravityBox (and other modules) negates, for the most part, the need for custom roms.
The Following User Says Thank You to nhizzat For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th January 2014, 11:19 PM |#6  
gunnyman's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Greenville SC
Thanks Meter: 2,682
 
Donate to Me
More
If I had it to do all over again I'd buy a moto maker T-Mobile phone. It's sim unlocked, works on at&t lte and you can unlock the bootloader.
11th January 2014, 12:13 AM |#7  
Member
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 22
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhizzat

Xposed + GravityBox (and other modules) negates, for the most part, the need for custom roms.

Where's the fun in that?
11th January 2014, 12:23 AM |#8  
gunnyman's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Greenville SC
Thanks Meter: 2,682
 
Donate to Me
More
This is not a tinkerer phone.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes