Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,519 Members 42,742 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Question about updates

Tip us?

dhru1405
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Question about updates

My Moto X was locked to AT&T. However I got it unlocked from a website. Everything works fine to my knowledge. However I was curious if it will receive firmware updates? Does unlocking the phone mess up anything with the carrier? Any help is much appreciated. Thank you.

samwathegreat
Old
Thanks Meter 1135

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhru1405 View Post
My Moto X was locked to AT&T. However I got it unlocked from a website. Everything works fine to my knowledge. However I was curious if it will receive firmware updates? Does unlocking the phone mess up anything with the carrier? Any help is much appreciated. Thank you.
There can be some confusion when it comes to unlocking.

There are 2 things you can unlock. You can SIM-Unlock your phone, which will allow it to be used on any GSM carrier. This is what you are referring to. It does not affect the software or system in any way. You will continue to receive updates without issue.

You can also unlock your 'bootloader'. This allows you to root your device and flash custom software. AT&T does not allow Moto to give bootloader-unlock codes out for any AT&T branded phones, but there is a guy from china who is -selling- bootloader-unlock codes.

If you were to obtain a bootloader unlock code, and root your device, then you would have to take special steps anytime a new software update comes out. If you are not interested in root, none of this is important.

Assuming you have only SIM-Unlocked your phone, you have absolutely nothing to worry about. No it does not 'mess anything up' with the carrier.

Good Luck
Help us keep XDA fun and safe. Please read the RULES, and please respect your fellow members.

Looking for a new carrier? Check out Republic Wireless!
Plans starting at $10 for unlimited talk/text and $25 with unlimited data.
Use this link to save $20. RW is my carrier and I couldn't be happier with them.

I successfully CRACKED the SIM-LOCK on the Sprint XT1056 Moto X. Read about it HERE