Some of Our Favorite Features in Android 5.0 Lollipop

Android 5.0 Lollipop is the latest major revision to Google’s mobile operating … more

Sony SmartEyeglass SDK Developer Preview Released

A little over a month ago in Tokyo, Japan, Sony unveiled its new SmartEyeglasstechnology. … more

XDA and Leaseweb: Server Trial/Moto 360 Contest (Winners!)

About a month ago, we held a contest along with XDA’s host, Leaseweb, to … more

Updated Android Lollipop Preview Images – XDA TV

The Android Lollipop Preview Images are now available! That and much more news is … more

Need A Few Questions Answered.

OP FreakyFreakGA

30th April 2014, 03:41 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 22

207 posts
Okay I am wanting get a Moto X soon with my contact expiring, and I am in to custom ROMs, rooting etc, but when I search the Moto X there's information i'm confused on.

First can non developer editions be unlocked? I am with Alltel atm which is a CDMA carrier who have the regular Moto X, can that be unlocked?

They are being slowly taken over and transitioned to GSM by AT&T, I like the idea of the Moto X but if I can't both root it and unlock the boot loader I am going to skip it.

I don't have the kind of money to buy the developer edition just to use it on my current carrier.

Thank you in advanced!
30th April 2014, 03:55 AM   |  #2  
XDA: ASSIST
Recognized Contributor
Flag The boonies - southwest Ontario
Thanks Meter: 4,055

10,059 posts
More
The moto x DE isn't much more than the regular one. What carrier? Verizon and at&t can't be unlocked. Or rooted if they come with 4.4.2.

Honestly, if your into flashing And whatnot....you want the N5. No question.

As much as I love the X....its not a flashers phone.
30th April 2014, 04:12 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 740

2,896 posts
If you want to unlock the bootloader, you need to get an GSM version. Get the Dev Edition version so you won't lose your warranty from unlock it.

If you want to flash rom there is no point of getting the Moto X for two reason;
1. There is almost no roms for it.
2. You lose all the features of the Moto X. If you don't want the Moto X features, there is no point of getting it, there are other phones with better specs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj2112

As much as I love the X....its not a flashers phone.

Which I love because now I spend much more time actually using the phone and it's practical features rather than flashing.
30th April 2014, 04:16 AM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 22

207 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eksasol

If you want to unlock the bootloader, you need to get an GSM version. Get the Dev Edition version so you won't lose your warranty from unlock it.

If you want to flash rom there is no point of getting the Moto X for two reason;
1. There is almost no roms for it.
2. You lose all the features of the Moto X. If you don't want the Moto X features, there is no point of getting it, there are other phones with better specs.

Which I love because now I spend much more time actually using the phone and it's practical features rather than flashing.

The Moto X can at least be rooted without the boot loader unlocked correct?
30th April 2014, 05:18 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 740

2,896 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakyFreakGA

Yes, but I heard with ATT and Verizon not yet for ver 4.4.2, I could be wrong. But as long as you buy unlocked version getting bootloader unlocked is very easy.

sent via tapatalk
30th April 2014, 12:32 PM   |  #6  
XDA: ASSIST
Recognized Contributor
Flag The boonies - southwest Ontario
Thanks Meter: 4,055

10,059 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakyFreakGA

At the moment, if you're already on 4.4.2 with a Verizon or at&t retail phone....there's no way to root.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread