Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,614 Members 41,569 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Need A Few Questions Answered.

Tip us?

FreakyFreakGA
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
Default Need A Few Questions Answered.

Okay I am wanting get a Moto X soon with my contact expiring, and I am in to custom ROMs, rooting etc, but when I search the Moto X there's information i'm confused on.

First can non developer editions be unlocked? I am with Alltel atm which is a CDMA carrier who have the regular Moto X, can that be unlocked?

They are being slowly taken over and transitioned to GSM by AT&T, I like the idea of the Moto X but if I can't both root it and unlock the boot loader I am going to skip it.

I don't have the kind of money to buy the developer edition just to use it on my current carrier.

Thank you in advanced!

KJ
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2908
The moto x DE isn't much more than the regular one. What carrier? Verizon and at&t can't be unlocked. Or rooted if they come with 4.4.2.

Honestly, if your into flashing And whatnot....you want the N5. No question.

As much as I love the X....its not a flashers phone.
Sent from my N5, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life on the N5...or any device really? Lots of info in first 4 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips

eksasol
Old
Thanks Meter 688
If you want to unlock the bootloader, you need to get an GSM version. Get the Dev Edition version so you won't lose your warranty from unlock it.

If you want to flash rom there is no point of getting the Moto X for two reason;
1. There is almost no roms for it.
2. You lose all the features of the Moto X. If you don't want the Moto X features, there is no point of getting it, there are other phones with better specs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj2112 View Post
As much as I love the X....its not a flashers phone.
Which I love because now I spend much more time actually using the phone and it's practical features rather than flashing.

FreakyFreakGA
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by eksasol View Post
If you want to unlock the bootloader, you need to get an GSM version. Get the Dev Edition version so you won't lose your warranty from unlock it.

If you want to flash rom there is no point of getting the Moto X for two reason;
1. There is almost no roms for it.
2. You lose all the features of the Moto X. If you don't want the Moto X features, there is no point of getting it, there are other phones with better specs.

Which I love because now I spend much more time actually using the phone and it's practical features rather than flashing.

The Moto X can at least be rooted without the boot loader unlocked correct?

eksasol
Old
Thanks Meter 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakyFreakGA View Post
Yes, but I heard with ATT and Verizon not yet for ver 4.4.2, I could be wrong. But as long as you buy unlocked version getting bootloader unlocked is very easy.

sent via tapatalk

KJ
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakyFreakGA View Post
At the moment, if you're already on 4.4.2 with a Verizon or at&t retail phone....there's no way to root.
Sent from my N5, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life on the N5...or any device really? Lots of info in first 4 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips