XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Some Questions

Tip us?

dray_jr
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 172
Default Some Questions

Ok so i have been playing with my Moto X for some time now and i have learned a lot about it but as i have been going threw the Q&A and general sections helping out i have read a lot of mixed information

1. unlocking the boot loader.
i have been to Motorola's website and checked for all devices and they give you a complete walk-threw on how to unlock your bootloader for all devices. but i have read in some threads that you can't do it on all devices. so i guess my question is. Is it tru that some carrier devices do not allow you to unlock the bootloader and if so what carries dont allow and what one's do allow.

2. my Sprint Moto X has had a unlocked bootloader from day one. so people who do not have there bootloader unlocked are they still able to use the 4.4 slapmymoto root process.

i am sorry for the questions but i need straight answers because i would like to help anyone who has issues but i don't want to give wrong info and after reading some many post i feel i might have made some mistakes in some of my attempts to help people
Sprint Moto X TWRP 4.4 Self Detoxed
Profiles:Twitter
Guides:MotoX Guides |

fury683
Old
Thanks Meter 47

DONATE TO ME
It is my understanding that AT&T and Verizon devices cannot unlock the bootloader through the Motorola website.

I have a Verizon Moto X (MotoMaker edition). The bootloader is locked. I used SlapMyMoto 0.5c to gain root on 4.4.
furyť™ - not helping the situation since 1987
Enable Moto X LED Charging Indicator (without Tasker)
Current Device: VZW MM Moto X, Woven Black, Black, Black | Previous: Droid Razr Maxx, Droid X

jayboyyyy
Old
Thanks Meter 156
developer edition models for verizon and att/gsm can unlock bootloaders. if it is a dev edition and the bootloader is unlocked you also void your warranty. locked BLs can still be rooted with slapmymoto. that is the only purpose of slapmymoto. if you have an unlocked BL then you would just flash twrp then the superSU.zip (or other SU app of your choice) and have root in minutes.

frenchie007
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayboyyyy View Post
if it is a dev edition and the bootloader is unlocked you also void your warranty.
I do believe Motorola changed their policies concerning developer editions. Unlocking the boot loader no longer voids warranty on those devices

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
Moto X - Stock and Slapped!
Galaxy Note 10.1 - rom : Android Revolution HD

Nexus S - DEAD
HTC Aria - DEAD

jayboyyyy
Old
Thanks Meter 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchie007 View Post
I do believe Motorola changed their policies concerning developer editions. Unlocking the boot loader no longer voids warranty on those devices

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
ya my bad. i meant isn't. glad you corrected it though because that could have been confusing for someone.

nhizzat
Old
Thanks Meter 62
1. Yes. Retail VZW and ATT moto Xs will, most likely, never have their bootloaders unlocked. Those are the only 2 variants whose bootloaders can't be unlocked. Only Dev edition retain warranty after a bootloader unlock. Simply requesting an unlock code voids your warranty.

2. Yes but you'd be wasting your time. Download your choice of recovery (TWRP or CWMR) and root app (SuperSU or Superuser), flash the recovery, reboot into recovery, flash whateveryourrootappis.zip, reboot system, enjoy root.