Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,052 Members 40,452 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Random question about contacts

Tip us?

Old
Thanks Meter 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puzzlegal View Post
That is certainly a solution. i could set up separate contacts for "home", "husband at work", and "husband's cell phone". But it seems simpler to keep all him contact information in one place. Same for my kids, who also have multiple phone numbers.

A lot of Google services seem to assume that a phone number is only relevant for a single person. I think that's a design flaw, as it's often not true. It's not a big deal in looking up contacts, but google phone numbers are essentially broken, as it won't let two different google phone numbers point to the same home number. (and there are three of us who would like to have the google number ring there at least some of the time.)
to your point, i'd be interested in seeing how other devices are handling it. i don't think its a design flaw at all. phone numbers have "always" been individualized. your home phone goes to "one" caller ID description (whether you change it with the phone co or not) - it's always going to say "The Smiths" regardless of who is placing the phone call to whom.

if you add "The Smiths" phone number to Mr., Mrs., Sally and Jr., it's still "The Smiths" phone number.

Harry Smith could be calling you on your caller ID, but it's really Jr....

i don't know any way around this, personally, short of the suggestions listed above. There's no solution for what you're asking. What do you want, voice recognition? And I'm sorry if that comes off a little snarky, but I honestly can't think of a way to handle a grouping of contacts that use the same contact information. What it sounds like you're asking is a way to create a "The Smiths" phone book entry, and marking it as "show as incoming call" so you don't jump to conclusions of who is on the other line.

Puzzlegal
Old
Thanks Meter 10
I understand that the "from" address has to be "the Smiths", or some single name. But I am really frustrated that Google Voice can't pipe my calls and my son's calls both to our home phone number, even if it could only show one of them names if we replied from that number. Both of us would like to recieve calls at that number when we are at home.

It might be relevant that my house gets lousy service on every major cell carrier.

Old
Thanks Meter 114
Quote:
I understand that the "from" address has to be "the Smiths", or some single name. But I am really frustrated that Google Voice can't pipe my calls and my son's calls both to our home phone number, even if it could only show one of them names if we replied from that number. Both of us would like to recieve calls at that number when we are at home.

It might be relevant that my house gets lousy service on every major cell carrier.
well forwarding multiple numbers to a single number is an entirely different issue than your original post. i've never been in your situation (that i can think of) so i can't relate. although i find it interesting google would care how many numbers were forwarded to a single number.

if you're already using google voice numbers, why not use google voice to place calls on your cells? that way, if Jr. gets a call on his GV #, it will ring his personal cell phone.

Puzzlegal
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
...It might be relevant that my house gets lousy service on every major cell carrier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640k View Post
well forwarding multiple numbers to a single number is an entirely different issue than your original post. i've never been in your situation (that i can think of) so i can't relate. although i find it interesting google would care how many numbers were forwarded to a single number.

if you're already using google voice numbers, why not use google voice to place calls on your cells? that way, if Jr. gets a call on his GV #, it will ring his personal cell phone.
Because then we don't get calls when we are at home -- thus the desire to have google voice numbers sometimes forward to the home number.

This is actually WHY I don't use google voice. Because so long as it depends on my being the only user of any number I want it to farward to, it's basically broken for me.

Anyhow, I agree that this is entirely different from the problem that started the thread. I just live with the phone always showing my daughter when I place or recieve a call to my home. That's annoying, but not broken from a usability standpoint. (My preference would be for it to show the same person I looked up when I placed the call for outgoing calls, and my husband for incoming calls, since he calls me more than the others, and obviously, the phone has no way to know who is on the other end.) I just brought up the google voice thing to point out that Google doesn't seem to have put a lot of effort into usability when phone numbers are shared.

Old
Thanks Meter 114
if you're using IP phone (using GV to make/receive calls), service has nothing to do with it. Just use your broadband connection.