XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Random Reboots - ART Related?

Tip us?

annndrewww
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Default Random Reboots - ART Related?

Today I had two random reboots on my 100% stock, unrooted T-Mobile Moto X. The only change I have made is switching to ART (3-4 days ago) Has anyone else had this happen? The first time it was in my pocket, the second time it was on my lap.

rickyoon.vegas
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by annndrewww View Post
Today I had two random reboots on my 100% stock, unrooted T-Mobile Moto X. The only change I have made is switching to ART (3-4 days ago) Has anyone else had this happen? The first time it was in my pocket, the second time it was on my lap.
Nope. stock here, switched to ART as soon as I could, 0 reboots.

I manually rebooted once or twice to see the new seasonal animation.
HTC HD2
HTC ONE S
ASUS NEXUS 7 (2013)
Motorola Moto X
LG G2 VS980
The Following User Says Thank You to rickyoon.vegas For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

clavin78
Old
Thanks Meter 79
I've had 3 so far and not using ART. 4.4 on sprint for almost 2 weeks. I'm not getting the reboot though, its shutting down immediately and I have to start it on my own.

gtg465x
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2764
Are you guys using Chrome Beta. I know when Android 4.3 first came out, Chrome Beta was causing random reboots for a lot of people. Since then I have stuck to the stable version of Chrome.
Current Phones:
Moto X GSM Unlocked

Previous Phones:
HTC One Unlocked, Nexus 4, iPhone 5, Galaxy Nexus, iPhone 4S, HTC One X, Nokia Lumia 800, HTC Titan, Samsung Galaxy S II, Samsung Infuse, LG Thrill, HTC Inspire, Samsung Captivate, HTC Aria, Samsung BlackJack II

calmlydefyinglogic
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by annndrewww View Post
This is the exact reason that I switched back to Dalvik. I probably had 3-4 random reboots while using ART doing various tasks. Also, my battery life was abysmal as well. So I went into Recovery and did a few FDR and gave ART another shot but it was a fruitless effort. So i wiped again and switched back to Dalvik and haven't had a single random reboot and battery life is much improved. I can't say for sure that running ART was the overall cause but I can say since switching back to Dalvik the situation has improved drastically. I'm hoping that an update is released soon to address the ART issues that I've been reading about. I'm really tempted to give ART another go but I'm hesitant because of the previous experience that I had.

---------- Post added at 05:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:23 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtg465x View Post
Are you guys using Chrome Beta. I know when Android 4.3 first came out, Chrome Beta was causing random reboots for a lot of people. Since then I have stuck to the stable version of Chrome.
I was in fact using Chrome Beta when I was running ART. I didn't even think about that being the culprit. Why do you think that it would cause the reboots? I will say that it crashed all the time which is why I ended up switching back to Chrome (stable) even before switching back to Dalvik.

KWKSLVR
Old
Thanks Meter 324

DONATE TO ME
There is literally no reason to use ART unless you're a Developer. There's probably a good reason why there is a disclaimer about trying it at your own risk.

Sent from my XT1060 using xda app-developers app
Verizon Moto X: Stock and Perfect
Verizon Galaxy Nexus: CM10
Samsung Vibrant rocking Team Whiskey's Bionix 1.3.1 w/ TouchWiz

If the Hardware GPS Fix worked for you and you want to donate, every penny will go back into continuing to try and improve our GPS (external antenna's, etc). I will also donate to anyone that can improve the firmware side of things.

SymbioticGenius
Old
Thanks Meter 92
I disagree. The speed improvements alone are worth it. My MotoX is pretty much just as fast as my Nexus5. I can't say about battery life on the X cause it was the first thing I did to the phone after boot loader, root, and change recovery, but on my N5 it gave me an extra hour ish screen time.

Sent from my MotoX Developer Edition

gtg465x
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2764
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWKSLVR View Post
There is literally no reason to use ART unless you're a Developer. There's probably a good reason why there is a disclaimer about trying it at your own risk.

Sent from my XT1060 using xda app-developers app
Well, I do find scrolling within some apps to be smoother with ART. I have had 0 issues with ART on my X.
Current Phones:
Moto X GSM Unlocked

Previous Phones:
HTC One Unlocked, Nexus 4, iPhone 5, Galaxy Nexus, iPhone 4S, HTC One X, Nokia Lumia 800, HTC Titan, Samsung Galaxy S II, Samsung Infuse, LG Thrill, HTC Inspire, Samsung Captivate, HTC Aria, Samsung BlackJack II