5,604,730 Members 31,749 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Random Reboots

Tip us?
 
BeagleBoy
Old
#1  
BeagleBoy's Avatar
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 34
Posts: 78
Join Date: Mar 2008

 
DONATE TO ME
Default [Q] Random Reboots

I received my Vz Dev Edition phone on Mon. Still running bone-stock with the 4.4 update. The first night, while I was talking on the phone, the phone rebooted twice. Once more in the evening, it rebooted while in its holster.

Since then, it's rebooted once or twice a day, always when I haven't been using it (I've felt it buzz, and taken it out of the holster and seen it booting).

Anyone else experience anything like this? I'm holding off on unlocking, since I'd prefer no argument if I need to send it back.

-Jim
 
Steve-x
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 164
Posts: 533
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Langley, BC
Not normal at all. You can try a reset to default(wiping the phone) and/or reflashing it completely with rsdlite. If that doesn't fix it then I'd most certainly have it replaced. I've never had a random reboot on either of my Moto X's.
 
BeagleBoy
Old
#3  
BeagleBoy's Avatar
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 34
Posts: 78
Join Date: Mar 2008

 
DONATE TO ME
That was my suspicion. I've had occasional reboots with prior phones, but never with a stock image. The fact that no one's posted here about reboots made me pretty suspicious.

-Jim
 
aooga
Old
#4  
aooga's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 674
Posts: 2,292
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleBoy View Post
That was my suspicion. I've had occasional reboots with prior phones, but never with a stock image. The fact that no one's posted here about reboots made me pretty suspicious.

-Jim
I posted this before. Nobody responded lol. I had the same exact problem. I called them up and had the replace it. It took another 10 days, but it was worth it. My new one has no problems as of now. I ran a logcat and saw that basically, the RAM was failing.
The Following User Says Thank You to aooga For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Steve-x
Old
#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 164
Posts: 533
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Langley, BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by aooga View Post
I posted this before. Nobody responded lol. I had the same exact problem. I called them up and had the replace it. It took another 10 days, but it was worth it. My new one has no problems as of now. I ran a logcat and saw that basically, the RAM was failing.
Well now we know who they shipped your original phone too...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve-x For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
aooga
Old
#6  
aooga's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 674
Posts: 2,292
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-x View Post
Well now we know who they shipped your original phone too...
lol. I almost knew for a fact that Verizon did that when I was with them. Their "like new" was basically just someone else's defective phone.
 
BeagleBoy
Old
#7  
BeagleBoy's Avatar
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 34
Posts: 78
Join Date: Mar 2008

 
DONATE TO ME
I've come to two realizations.

1) my phone has always been in my holster when it rebooted (when it happened while I was talking, I was using Bluetooth).

2) you can reboot this phone by long-pressing the power button, even when locked.

You can guess where I'm headed with this. So for the next few days, I'm putting my phone in the holster with the buttons up instead of down. Then I'll see if I need to post an embarrassed-smiley follow-up.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
 
aooga
Old
#8  
aooga's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 674
Posts: 2,292
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleBoy View Post
I've come to two realizations.

1) my phone has always been in my holster when it rebooted (when it happened while I was talking, I was using Bluetooth).

2) you can reboot this phone by long-pressing the power button, even when locked.

You can guess where I'm headed with this. So for the next few days, I'm putting my phone in the holster with the buttons up instead of down. Then I'll see if I need to post an embarrassed-smiley follow-up.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
lol. Hopefully, because getting a replacement is a HUGE pita.

My phone did it sitting on a table without it even being setup.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Microsoft Finally Brings Remote Desktop to Windows Phone

You may recall that back in October of last year, Microsoft released itsofficial … more

SideControl Gains New Powers through Xposed

You may recall that a little overa month ago, we first talked about SideCutsby XDA Forum … more

Leak Points to Windows Start Menu’s Return as Soon as August

About a month ago at this year’s Build conference, Microsoft … more

Wearables Walkthrough: Tasker on the Samsung Galaxy Gear – XDA Developer TV

The future certainly looks like it is full of wearables. … more