OP codya321

3rd May 2014, 03:09 AM   |  #11  
Flag Saint Paul, MN
Thanks Meter: 12

75 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj2112

Please see my response to you in the 4.2.2 to 4.4.2 thread.

Thanks, didn't realize until afterward it was the same voice in both threads.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jumnhy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd May 2014, 12:54 PM   |  #12  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Thorndale/Romansville, PA
Thanks Meter: 957

2,274 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumnhy

I've been a bit confused by allusions to rooting without write protection. Everyone says similar stuff to what you guys have said--well, without write protection disabled you'll lose root on reboot. I'd be okay with that, just avoid rebooting my phone and using stuff that requires a reboot to take effect. The only thing I really want root for is to see my partial wakelocks to be able to properly troubleshoot battery issues. I really like the stock Moto X ux. If I could, I'd probably use some Xposed modules too, but all I really really want is to get better insight into my wakelock situation. Elsewhere, though, I read that root is totally impossible on 4.4.2, unless you have an unlocked bootloader (which I obviously don't). So, is it possible to get root, even if it doesn't survive a soft reset?

take a read of -> http://mark.cdmaforums.com/MotoX-LockedRoot.html

Root itself is not lost on reboot, only changes done to the /system folder and other protected places.

But yes, if you already have 4.4.2 on your phone, and can't unlock your bootloader, you won't be able to root.
The Following User Says Thank You to KidJoe For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd May 2014, 05:56 PM   |  #13  

161 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumnhy

Thanks, didn't realize until afterward it was the same voice in both threads.

Where you found another same threads ?
4th May 2014, 11:01 PM   |  #14  
Flag Saint Paul, MN

75 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANIEL AMBRUSO

Where you found another same threads ?

It was just kj2112 explaining a similar issue to me. Check it out, but essentially my understanding is that there's no root for 4.4.2 if the phone never had root previously (ie, if you naively took the OTA like me without thnking about implications for root.

---------- Post added at 10:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidJoe

take a read of -> http://mark.cdmaforums.com/MotoX-LockedRoot.html

Root itself is not lost on reboot, only changes done to the /system folder and other protected places.

But yes, if you already have 4.4.2 on your phone, and can't unlock your bootloader, you won't be able to root.

Solid, thanks for the concise summary. I'd read jcase's posts a while back about a potential exploit--something about using it in a teaching session at BlackHat? He even says though, that the exploit he has will probably never be useful for the average user insofar as it would be too hard to implement and n00bz like myself would end up bricking our phones. So I'm not holding my breath on that one. Ugh. Sad I missed the window for the Chinese connection. Should have jumped on it.
5th May 2014, 02:45 PM   |  #15  
Thanks Meter: 27

107 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tallest

Links to a thread on here.

Works with 4.4 and post-camera 4.2.2, but if you take the OTA to 4.-4-.2 it upgrades your bootloader and you lose the ability to turn write protection off ; root is pretty much useless at that point.

I have the Republic Wireless XT1049 and did the upgrade shown here and have 4.4.2 with write protect off.

Do not attempt this if you are already running 4.4.2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your bootloader is already changed and you run a big risk of bricking if you try to downgrade to the 4.2.2 bootloader!!!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto...3/post52348028

As usual, read the instructions carefully.

Then read through the posts! Different rooters had different issues!

AFAIK no one bricked though.
5th May 2014, 04:10 PM   |  #16  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Thorndale/Romansville, PA
Thanks Meter: 957

2,274 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by glarepate

Works with 4.4 and post-camera 4.2.2, but if you take the OTA to 4.-4-.2 it upgrades your bootloader and you lose the ability to turn write protection off ; root is pretty much useless at that point.

I have the Republic Wireless XT1049 and did the upgrade shown here and have 4.4.2 with write protect off.

Do not attempt this if you are already running 4.4.2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your bootloader is already changed and you run a big risk of bricking if you try to downgrade to the 4.2.2 bootloader!!!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto...3/post52348028

As usual, read the instructions carefully.

Then read through the posts! Different rooters had different issues!

AFAIK no one bricked though.

The steps in the thread you link to are how to use use 4.4.2 via Safestrap, which does add a layer of complexity. It is the only option to take 4.4.2 IF you have a locked bootloader and are rooted and write protection disabled. And many do have good luck with it, so it is an option IF your phone is still on 4.4.

If I understand correctly, each safestrap rom is unique for the carrier.. in other words, you can't use the Republic Wireless SS rom if you are on Verizon. You can't use the Verizon SS rom if you are on ATT, etc. (for example, they were waiting on the ATT 4.4.2 SBF to create a SS Rom for the ATT X).
6th May 2014, 01:30 AM   |  #17  
Thanks Meter: 27

107 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidJoe

The steps in the thread you link to are how to use use 4.4.2 via Safestrap, which does add a layer of complexity. It is the only option to take 4.4.2 IF you have a locked bootloader and are rooted and write protection disabled. And many do have good luck with it, so it is an option IF your phone is still on 4.4.

If I understand correctly, each safestrap rom is unique for the carrier.. in other words, you can't use the Republic Wireless SS rom if you are on Verizon. You can't use the Verizon SS rom if you are on ATT, etc. (for example, they were waiting on the ATT 4.4.2 SBF to create a SS Rom for the ATT X).

Yes, if you have already gone to 4.4.2 you are out of luck.

I'm using the T-Mobile SafeStrap Recovery with my RW Moto X. This was done by a Franken-ROM process that uses the 4.4.2 ROM without using the 4.4.2 bootloader and using the SS recovery to flash a zip file with some components of the 4.4.2 ROM and then flashing SuperSU. Whether or not it should be working, it is. Nothing I can, or want to, do about that.

But I am sure you are right that this resultant ROM would not work on phones from other carriers. Versions for other carriers are being developed though. It may simply be a matter of time and interest by motivated individuals until this is available for just about everyone.
Last edited by glarepate; 6th May 2014 at 01:38 AM. Reason: Typo: wrote fone, meant gone. (-;

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread