Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,091 Members 52,791 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Any reason to by the Moto X Developer over the Regular?

Tip us?

scooby-snack
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default Any reason to by the Moto X Developer over the Regular?

Hey All-

Looking at buying the Moto X Developer Edition for Verizon... is there any benefit to it over the regular edition?

Thanks-

Scoob

HeroOfTime
Old
Thanks Meter 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby-snack View Post
Hey All-

Looking at buying the Moto X Developer Edition for Verizon... is there any benefit to it over the regular edition?

Thanks-

Scoob
Being able to unlock the bootloader and root regardless of Android version is the major selling point for the dev edition over the retail/motomaker.
--This message will self destruct if not properly stored.

Moto X - Navy Blue with Silver Accents, Bootloader Unlocked, Rooted, Xposed (How do you like them apples, VZW?)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HeroOfTime For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

scooby-snack
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroOfTime View Post
Being able to unlock the bootloader and root regardless of Android version is the major selling point for the dev edition over the retail/motomaker.
Thank You!

KJ
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,515
Actually though, the only absolute difference between the Dev edition and other models that CAN have their bootloader unlocked is the Dev edition keeps it warranty. 👍

So it isn't your only option. Just can't buy retail Verizon, AT&T or Republic wireless if you want to unlock it.
Sent from my new HTC One M8, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life? Any device welcome, even tho its an N5 thread. Please specify if on a device other than N5. Lots of info in first 4 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips

KidJoe
Old
Thanks Meter 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ View Post
Actually though, the only absolute difference between the Dev edition and other models that CAN have their bootloader unlocked is the Dev edition keeps it warranty. 👍

So it isn't your only option. Just can't buy retail Verizon, AT&T or Republic wireless if you want to unlock it.
The way you worded that might be confusing to some joining us late.

So just to clarify...

What @KJ mentions above is correct from a technical stand point. Other than the memory size (retail and moto maker for VZW are available as both 16gig and 32gig, where as Dev Ed for VZW is 32 only) they are the same "guts".

The retail and motomaker for verizon, att and republic wireless can also have their bootloaders unlocked *IF* you can get the bootloader unlock code (which Moto does not give out, so you have to hope the China Middleman can help).

*Requesting* the code from Moto's web site, or using the code from the China Middleman will void your warranty unless you have a Developer Edition X.
aka Mark_Venture

My Moto X tips and info

Currently using Verizon Moto X Developer Edition on my personal line.. But I have too many devices to choose from for work and personal... For the full list click -> HERE <-

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KidJoe For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

scooby-snack
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidJoe View Post
The way you worded that might be confusing to some joining us late.

So just to clarify...

What @KJ mentions above is correct from a technical stand point. Other than the memory size (retail and moto maker for VZW are available as both 16gig and 32gig, where as Dev Ed for VZW is 32 only) they are the same "guts".

The retail and motomaker for verizon, att and republic wireless can also have their bootloaders unlocked *IF* you can get the bootloader unlock code (which Moto does not give out, so you have to hope the China Middleman can help).

*Requesting* the code from Moto's web site, or using the code from the China Middleman will void your warranty unless you have a Developer Edition X.
Thanks for the great replies I feel that I got a great buy (even though the X+1 will be out soon) Paid just under $300 for a new Dev Model. Are there any benefits to going with a CM ROM over the Stock Rom? I don't want to lose any of the great features that the Stock Rom has... however I do like having the additional tweaks here and there as long as the Rom is Rock Stable. Thanks again for the detailed information! Makes this site hands down the best around!

-Scoob

samwathegreat
Old
Thanks Meter 1,574

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Thanks for the great replies I feel that I got a great buy (even though the X+1 will be out soon) Paid just under $300 for a new Dev Model. Are there any benefits to going with a CM ROM over the Stock Rom? I don't want to lose any of the great features that the Stock Rom has... however I do like having the additional tweaks here and there as long as the Rom is Rock Stable. Thanks again for the detailed information! Makes this site hands down the best around!

-Scoob
You can try it and see if you like it (CM, that is). You WILL lose active display and touchless controls.

My personal preference is Stock ROM + Xposed/GravityBox (Xposed + GravityBox Module gives you most of the tweaks that you get with CM). But of course, the best ROM for YOU is which ever you prefer. If you flash CM, you can always restore the backup of your stock ROM, so long as you make one

See the "One stop shop" rooting reference by @KJ for details on how to unlock and root your Dev Edition once you receive it.

Good Luck! And enjoy your X. Wise decision going with the Dev edition...
Help us keep XDA fun and safe. Please read the RULES, and please respect your fellow members.

Looking for a new carrier? Check out Republic Wireless!
Plans starting at $10 for unlimited talk/text and $25 with unlimited data.
Use this link to save $20. RW is my carrier and I couldn't be happier with them.

I successfully CRACKED the SIM-LOCK on the Sprint XT1056 Moto X. Read about it HERE

Donate to me via BitCoin - 1samwaLJ7EdQFGME1dkUGPFZywUEKnXcT
The Following User Says Thank You to samwathegreat For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cpetersen2791
Old
Thanks Meter 106
Quote:

-Scoob
Stock Rom + Root + Gravity Box via Xposed is all you'll need for customization. I am finding it hard to stay on an AOSP rom with the stock configuration available.
The Following User Says Thank You to cpetersen2791 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

scooby-snack
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpetersen2791 View Post
Stock Rom + Root + Gravity Box via Xposed is all you'll need for customization. I am finding it hard to stay on an AOSP rom with the stock configuration available.
Awesome! Thanks for the great information. I enable double tap to wake with the Xposed setup if I'm not mistaken?

-Scoob

samwathegreat
Old
Thanks Meter 1,574

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Awesome! Thanks for the great information. I enable double tap to wake with the Xposed setup if I'm not mistaken?

-Scoob
I believe that there is a module for that...but it will drain your battery quickly. We don't have a low-voltage core for double-tap to wake on the X. As a result (If I'm not mistaken), using this feature puts a wake-lock on the device which is very bad for battery life. Best to just use active display...as soon as you pick up or move the device, the AD lock screen will trigger without you having to press the power button. The you can just slide the lock over to unlock.

Personally, I don't see a benefit to double-tap-to-wake over stock AD.
Help us keep XDA fun and safe. Please read the RULES, and please respect your fellow members.

Looking for a new carrier? Check out Republic Wireless!
Plans starting at $10 for unlimited talk/text and $25 with unlimited data.
Use this link to save $20. RW is my carrier and I couldn't be happier with them.

I successfully CRACKED the SIM-LOCK on the Sprint XT1056 Moto X. Read about it HERE

Donate to me via BitCoin - 1samwaLJ7EdQFGME1dkUGPFZywUEKnXcT

The Following User Says Thank You to samwathegreat For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]