Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,019 Members 51,957 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Recovery Bootloop (XT1053- Unlocked Bootloader)

Tip us?

DarK_MischieF
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Exclamation Recovery Bootloop (XT1053- Unlocked Bootloader)

Hey everyone,

Got myself into an interesting situation here. I have the GSM Unlocked Moto X (XT1053) and I'm using it on T-Mobile USA.

I have unlocked the bootloader, installed TWRP (twrp-2.6.3.1-ghost-4.4), SuperSU, Xposed all that jazz. Phone ran wonderfully until I saw the 4.4.2 update zip.

Downloaded the zip, put the phone into fastboot and attempted to flash the stock recovery. I had some trouble finding it and ended up using the one I found here. After doing this the phone started to bootloop, showing the ugly white "WARNING: BOOTLOADER UNLOCKED" screen and then nothing then looped. I put the phone back into fastboot and reflashed TWRP.

Now the phone just bootloops into TWRP. To attempt to remedy this I fixed permissions, wiped cache/Dalvik but to no effect. I can actually successfully boot into Android if I go into fastboot and select the "Factory" option in the menu, however I seem to have lost my service.

So looks like I broke a pretty big rule, don't flash until you know exactly what it was you had- but I got impatient and greedy and now I'm paying the price .

How can I repair the damage I've done? I don't mind losing data (currently making a backup in Android).

INFO RECAP
XT1053
rooted, bootloader unlocked 30.B2
twrp 2.6.3.1
Oppo Find 5 | 16GB | OmniROM 4.4
HP Touchpad | 16GB | Schizoid

jmcdonald58
Old
Thanks Meter 309
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2477132

[TOOL] Moto X Toolkit v1.3.4 [Backup/Restore,Drivers,Return to stock,Root,Bootani] you could use this to flash back to stock and get a fresh start

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Devices
MotoX DE XT1053
Rooted Stock/Xposed
Nexus 5
Rooted Stock/Xposed
Rogers Droid Razr XT925
Rooted/Stock/Xposed
Nexus 7 2012
Rooted Stock w Xposed
Asus Eee pad Transformer
KatKiss 4.4.2
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmcdonald58 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dray_jr
Old
Thanks Meter 215
sounds like you flashed something that was not a recovery i would return to stock and then follow this guide

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2603358
Sprint Moto X TWRP 4.4 Self Detoxed
Profiles:Twitter
Guides:MotoX Guides |
The Following User Says Thank You to dray_jr For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DarK_MischieF
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
thanks for the replies,

using the toolkit i have more or less fixed everything. however, my stock recovery is borked- it shows no options, just the android recovery background. i am currently downloading the entire firmware here and plan to extract the stock recovery.img to flash with fastboot.

hopefully this will trigger the ota and everything will be as usual from there on.

dray_jr
Old
Thanks Meter 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarK_MischieF View Post
thanks for the replies,

using the toolkit i have more or less fixed everything. however, my stock recovery is borked- it shows no options, just the android recovery background. i am currently downloading the entire firmware here and plan to extract the stock recovery.img to flash with fastboot.

hopefully this will trigger the ota and everything will be as usual from there on.
you can't trigger the OTA even if you are root and have a custom recovery you will still get the OTA you just wont be able to install it.
Sprint Moto X TWRP 4.4 Self Detoxed
Profiles:Twitter
Guides:MotoX Guides |

jmcdonald58
Old
Thanks Meter 309
Quote:
thanks for the replies,

Check this video for booting stock recovery it's kinda tricky yours might not be borked http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjNXk...EHgdMqUB_tVb8d
Devices
MotoX DE XT1053
Rooted Stock/Xposed
Nexus 5
Rooted Stock/Xposed
Rogers Droid Razr XT925
Rooted/Stock/Xposed
Nexus 7 2012
Rooted Stock w Xposed
Asus Eee pad Transformer
KatKiss 4.4.2

DarK_MischieF
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcdonald58 View Post
Check this video for booting stock recovery it's kinda tricky yours might not be borked http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjNXk...EHgdMqUB_tVb8d
Thanks for the video, you were correct, my recovery is working as intended. To actually activate the options in the stock recovery you need to hold the Volume up button and press the Power button.

4.4.2 sideloaded successfully, nothing noteworthy for my personal use- wasn't there mention of the Google dialer in a Canadian update release notes?

jmcdonald58
Old
Thanks Meter 309
Quote:
Thanks for the video, you were correct, my recovery is working as intended. To actually activate the options in the stock recovery you need to hold the Volume up button and press the Power button.

4.4.2 sideloaded successfully, nothing noteworthy for my personal use- wasn't there mention of the Google dialer in a Canadian update release notes?
I am note sure I usually just use the search feature or google now when looking I have a Nexus 5 I rarely use the dialer but it is nice to have seems like it would be available
Devices
MotoX DE XT1053
Rooted Stock/Xposed
Nexus 5
Rooted Stock/Xposed
Rogers Droid Razr XT925
Rooted/Stock/Xposed
Nexus 7 2012
Rooted Stock w Xposed
Asus Eee pad Transformer
KatKiss 4.4.2

Tags