Republic Wireless Moto X on AT&T???

16th June 2014, 06:59 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1

44 posts
Does anyone have the Republic Wireless Moto X running on AT&T and is ok?

Just received a RW Moto X and realized I purchased it from them instead of AT&T on the Moto Maker site.

It is on 4.2.2 and I was seeing if I should even pursue rooting and flashing a new rom onto it that would allow the changing of the network technology (GSM vs CDMA, etc.)

Thanks in advance for the help!
16th June 2014, 07:01 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 1,684

1,965 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystikz2002

Does anyone have the Republic Wireless Moto X running on AT&T and is ok?

Just received a RW Moto X and realized I purchased it from them instead of AT&T on the Moto Maker site.

It is on 4.2.2 and I was seeing if I should even pursue rooting and flashing a new rom onto it that would allow the changing of the network technology (GSM vs CDMA, etc.)

Thanks in advance for the help!

Nope, if you don't plan to use Republic you should return it instead. The RW Moto X will only operate on RW. You cannot bootloader-unlock it, and you cannot SIM-Unlock it. That phone can only ever been used on Republic Wireless.

P.S. When you re-order your new phone, I highly suggest buying the T-Mobile version instead. The T-Mobile variant comes SIM-Unlocked and is Bootloader-Unlockable. You can use it straight out-of-the-box on AT&T or T-Mobile.

If you buy the AT&T Variant, it comes SIM-Locked to AT&T (and you will have to buy/obtain a SIM-Unlock code if you ever want to use it on another carrier), and you cannot unlock the bootloader either.

Additionally, the T-Mobile variant supports all of the frequencies AT&T (and T-Mobile) currently use in the United States.

Good Luck
Last edited by samwathegreat; 16th June 2014 at 07:04 AM.
16th June 2014, 07:09 AM   |  #3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1

44 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwathegreat

Nope, if you don't plan to use Republic you should return it instead. The RW Moto X will only operate on RW. You cannot bootloader-unlock it, and you cannot SIM-Unlock it. That phone can only ever been used on Republic Wireless.

P.S. When you re-order your new phone, I highly suggest buying the T-Mobile version instead. The T-Mobile variant comes SIM-Unlocked and is Bootloader-Unlockable. You can use it straight out-of-the-box on AT&T or T-Mobile.

If you buy the AT&T Variant, it comes SIM-Locked to AT&T (and you will have to buy/obtain a SIM-Unlock code if you ever want to use it on another carrier), and you cannot unlock the bootloader either.

Additionally, the T-Mobile variant supports all of the frequencies AT&T (and T-Mobile) currently use in the United States.

Good Luck

Thank you for the honest and straight forward post. The T-Mobile version it is.

I will be ordering again shortly.

Thanks again!
16th June 2014, 12:53 PM   |  #4  
Flag Thorndale/Romansville, PA
Thanks Meter: 800

1,998 posts
More
@mystikz2002

Some additions to what @samwathegreat has already said...

There were some who were successful in using the 3rd party Chinese Website/Middleman to BUY the boot loader unlock code for the Republic Wireless X. BUT he is right in that no one has been able to SIM unlock them, so they will only work on Republic Wireless.

If you are going to get the GSM Unlocked (ships with T-Mobile SIM), which is AKA the T-Mobile version, from MotoMaker, just know that if you want to unlock its bootloader (if you want to root), while Moto will give you the unlock code for FREE on their web site, requesting the bootloader unlock code voids its warranty. So compare the price of that model, to the GSM Developer Edition X. While you can't customize its look (Dev Ed ships only as black face, woven white back, silver accents {buttons and camera ring}, and 32gig), unlocking its bootloader doesn't void the warranty. Internal hardware and functionality wise, the GSM Dev Edition and the GSM Unlocked are the same phone.
The Following User Says Thank You to KidJoe For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread

Top Threads in Moto X Q&A by ThreadRank