By _slam, Junior Member on 11th February 2014, 06:11 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Currently on VZN, XT1060, MotoX, DEV unlocked bootloader, TWRP, SuperSU:

version: 4.4
kernel: 3.4.42-xline-gf57cf5bdbbuild@ca88lnxdroid14#1
system: 140.45.5.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US
build: 13.11.1Q2.X-69-3

NO ROM And I only changed two items:

1. VzwEntitlementService.apk via [http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?t=2536166] by changing the originalVzwEntitlementService.apk to VzwEntitlementService.apk.bak

2. Remove bootloader warning image

Question: for the 4.4.2 update (hopefully coming soon)

1. Can I just get the 4.4.2 update via OTA with my current setup
2. Or do I have a to flash back to stock

Thank you much.
and I'm new to xda.

11th February 2014, 06:18 PM |#2  
Flag Fort Myers,FL
Thanks Meter: 271

More
you need to flash the stock recovery and then run the OTA. after it installs flash your custom recovery back.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dray_jr For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dray_jr Ad-Free
11th February 2014, 11:22 PM |#3  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 98

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dray_jr

you need to flash the stock recovery and then run the OTA. after it installs flash your custom recovery back.

Thanks, if someone has an unlocked bootloader but is not rooted and they removed the bootloader unlocked message using the command:

fastboot flash logo logo.bin

and used a logo.bin file that has the original kitkat 4.4 logo in it, can they take the OTA without doing anything else?

Also, when you flash the stock recovery, you become unrooted and so then if you flash your custom recovery after the OTA, you reroot, right?

Are you supposed to wipe the davlik/cache or anything else like that before you take the OTA?
11th February 2014, 11:28 PM |#4  
Flag Fort Myers,FL

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozume

Thanks, if someone has an unlocked bootloader but is not rooted and they removed the bootloader unlocked message using the command:

fastboot flash logo logo.bin

and used a logo.bin file that has the original kitkat 4.4 logo in it, can they take the OTA without doing anything else?

Also, when you flash the stock recovery, you become unrooted and so then if you flash your custom recovery after the OTA, you reroot, right?

Are you supposed to wipe the davlik/cache or anything else like that before you take the OTA?

as for the logo i am not sure i think you should be ok .

as for when you flash the stock recovery yes you loose root but when you reflash the custom recovery if you still dont have root just reinstall SuperSU and you will be good to go,

and anytime i flash something i always wipe the cache/davlik
The Following User Says Thank You to dray_jr For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dray_jr Ad-Free
11th February 2014, 11:47 PM |#5  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 98

More
Quote:

and anytime i flash something i always wipe the cache/davlik

really so when I flashed my custom recovery to root for the first time, I should have wiped that?
12th February 2014, 04:02 AM |#6  
Flag Fort Myers,FL

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozume

really so when I flashed my custom recovery to root for the first time, I should have wiped that?

you dont have too but it is recommended
12th February 2014, 05:53 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Quote:

as for when you flash the stock recovery yes you loose root but when you reflash the custom recovery if you still dont have root just reinstall SuperSU and you will be good to go

Hmm, I have a VZW DE, unlocked bootloader, flashed TWRP then SuperSU to get root, then flashed the stock recovery and still have root. I honestly can't remember if I re-rooted after flashing back to stock recovery, but I don't think that I did. Are you saying that flashing to stock recovery should have unrooted the phone? What does it mean if it didn't? I hope I'm remembering correctly.

I'd like to be able to get the OTA 4.4.2 update from VZW when available but I keep reading it's not possible with root. How do I remove root if reflashing the stock recovery didn't do it? I'm coming from a GNex which was much simpler so I want to make sure I'm prepared for the OTA when it arrives. Thanks!
12th February 2014, 06:21 AM |#8  
Flag Richmond Hill
Thanks Meter: 1,396

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melarsa

Hmm, I have a VZW DE, unlocked bootloader, flashed TWRP then SuperSU to get root, then flashed the stock recovery and still have root. I honestly can't remember if I re-rooted after flashing back to stock recovery, but I don't think that I did. Are you saying that flashing to stock recovery should have unrooted the phone? What does it mean if it didn't? I hope I'm remembering correctly.

I'd like to be able to get the OTA 4.4.2 update from VZW when available but I keep reading it's not possible with root. How do I remove root if reflashing the stock recovery didn't do it? I'm coming from a GNex which was much simpler so I want to make sure I'm prepared for the OTA when it arrives. Thanks!

OK,listen and listen closely, by far the best way to accept the ota is flash stock recovery and also flash your system.img, I don't care what other folks say, I've been here for 3 ota's , this will prevent any chances of having issues when accepting the ota. You may also flash Verizon's sbf firmware when available, the later is what I prefer

Sent on my Gummy running Lenoto X
The Following User Says Thank You to flashallthetime For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift flashallthetime Ad-Free
12th February 2014, 06:50 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashallthetime

OK,listen and listen closely, by far the best way to accept the ota is flash stock recovery and also flash your system.img, I don't care what other folks say, I've been here for 3 ota's , this will prevent any chances of having issues when accepting the ota. You may also flash Verizon's sbf firmware when available, the later is what I prefer

Got it, that's what I'll do when the time comes. Thanks!
12th February 2014, 05:48 PM |#10  
Flag Suffolk County NY
Thanks Meter: 16

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashallthetime

Could I do a TWRP backup of /data and just flash the entire system back to new, take the OTA and TWRP restore /data?
Or does /data contain some stuff that is linked to the version of Android I did the backup with?
12th February 2014, 10:33 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 78

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbiryujin

Could I do a TWRP backup of /data and just flash the entire system back to new, take the OTA and TWRP restore /data?
Or does /data contain some stuff that is linked to the version of Android I did the backup with?

Why would you need to do that? /data isn't going anywhere in the process of flashing system and recovery and then taking an OTA
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)