5,599,977 Members 46,064 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[REQUEST] Video/Noob friendly guide for Verizon SlapMyMoto root process

Tip us?

jco23
Old
Thanks Meter 467
one more note I've seen discussed: some folks worry that if they root, they will NOT be able to accept future OTAs.

my thoughts on that (unless someone has confirmed otherwise):
1. if this device is handled like my previous one (Motorola Razr), you can accept OTA's ONLY if you have NOT removed any bloatware. thus, I would suggest folks to make a backup (via TiBu) of any apps that they plan to delete.

2. not to rely on this, but usually when an OTA update comes out, there is always a really nice person that posts the update file somewhere here, and thus we should be able to extract it and apply via some method (RSD Lite, etc).

of course, unlocking the bootloader is the perferred method, as installing ROMs via that is the simplest.

just my $0.02
Primary Device: Motorola Moto X (XT1060)
Xposed with Gravity Box

Previous Device: Motorola Razr M (XT907) STOLEN
ROM: AOSP KitKat 4.4
Recovery: TWRP 2.6.3.0

Previous Device: Samsung Droid Charge (SCH i510)
ROM: Tweaked Lite 1.0
Kernel: Stock FP8
RFS

supertrav1980
Old
Thanks Meter 1

DONATE TO ME
Default PwnMyMoto no workie

I've tried to reroot my phone back to 4.2.2. using PwnMyMoto and that doesn't even work. When i try to install the app, I get a message that says app not installed. I have "unknown sources" checked. Any suggestions?

KLRTN
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrav1980 View Post
I've tried to reroot my phone back to 4.2.2. using PwnMyMoto and that doesn't even work. When i try to install the app, I get a message that says app not installed. I have "unknown sources" checked. Any suggestions?
Have you tried checking write protection using "adb shell getprop ro.boot.write_protect"? Not sure why your phone would skip steps 1 and 2 of RockMyMoto. Checked RockMyMoto threads and could not find any good answers as to what caused this. Some mentioned going straight to SlapMyMoto and others mentioned bootloader being unlocked already.

jco23
Old
Thanks Meter 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrav1980 View Post
it's not a matter of having "unknown sources" checked, you need to enable "USB debugging mode" under developer options.
Primary Device: Motorola Moto X (XT1060)
Xposed with Gravity Box

Previous Device: Motorola Razr M (XT907) STOLEN
ROM: AOSP KitKat 4.4
Recovery: TWRP 2.6.3.0

Previous Device: Samsung Droid Charge (SCH i510)
ROM: Tweaked Lite 1.0
Kernel: Stock FP8
RFS

supertrav1980
Old
Thanks Meter 1

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jco23 View Post
it's not a matter of having "unknown sources" checked, you need to enable "USB debugging mode" under developer options.
Debugging is selected.

dray_jr
Old
Thanks Meter 172
if your looking for a guide check this one out i made it shows you step by step what app/drivers you need to download. and what processes to do in what order and links you to the best guides i could find for each process check it out it should help

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2603358
Sprint Moto X TWRP 4.4 Self Detoxed
Profiles:Twitter
Guides:MotoX Guides |

johnlicoski1204
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Default No telnet

Hi so i got as far as downgrading (woohoo jelly bean )
I pushed rockmymoto but i can't get telnet to work
I run it on 2222 on impactor, the final message say waiting for then goes back to the drop down menu (not sure if that means it started or it just gave up)
Now i saved the extracted cydia folder on my desktop. tried doing the telnet command from the desktop. it doesn't understand the word telnet
I try it from the cydia folder on the desktop. still doesn't undetstand tell net.

so here i am wondering if i should just give up and update back to kit kat or wait.

Can you guys please let me know what i'm doing wrong, thanks.

-JDLico